Noctilucent clouds pictures

Old June 27th 06, 01:19 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Noctilucent clouds pictures

In message , mike
writes
John wrote in :

Must buy a camera, but if I have one, there's never anything to
photograph ;-(

mike

If you do decide to buy, and you 'go digital', note that the cheaper
cameras almost surely will not have long exposures on auto and there
will be no BULB setting. It seems that only the digital SLRs provide the
B setting now and, for the asking prices, they should provide that and
make the coffee for those cold observing nights.

You've put your finger right on it!

I want a good lens, more than x3, probably more like x10. OK, my SLRs never
had a lens like that, but I'd have liked them to.

I'll watch out for B (I always thought that meant brief) but also (or
instead) I guess I need T.

I don't think I need huge megapixels, surely 5 or 6 is plenty.

I'm only casually into astronomy, it's too damn difficult/cold/time
consuming for me, but I do like night photography, and the other night's
NLC would have made a wonderful, (and easy) shot, it was so bright.

I gave up 35 mm because of film wastage, difficulty of processing and
printing my own, which I did in B & W.

A good digital camera would be fantastic for the 1 in a thousand worthwhile
shot I make, but I still feel they haven't stabilised, at least to what I
want.

Apropos of nothing, it's only dusk, and Jupiter is burning my eyes out!

mike

The T setting was dropped even on most film cameras but you could get
similar results with a locking cable release on B. I am annoyed that I
spent £(lots) on a decent digital camera and am restricted to 8 secs.
which is not good enough for night-sky work other than the brightest of
objects.
Even my old Box Brownie could do better than that!
--
Cheers and hope for more good NLC,
John.