Help with astronomy planning SW

Old June 18th 06, 10:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Help with astronomy planning SW

Folks,
I am planning a vaction to the deserts of CA next week (no comments
about the heat please )

I plan on draggin my 80mm scope with me. I am getting back into
astronomy after many many years and I am trying to do my preplanning to make
sure I make the most of the dark skys. I was hoping for something that
could help me plan the nights on an hour by hour basis.

Is there a good recommendation for planning SW that I can use to print
skymaps based on my locale ?

Cheers

Old June 19th 06, 01:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Get Cartes Du Ciel, its FREE and if you know the location your going to you
can put it into there or just pick a newby city (L.A.) and you can get maps
and print them out for hours of the night.

BTW, I live out here in the High Mojave Desert of S.Cal and I love the heat,
it reached 105 again today and I liked it.

What part of the Desert you going to?

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords
Astro Blog
http://starlord.bloggerteam.com/

. ..

Old June 19th 06, 05:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Sam The Cat wrote:
Folks,
I am planning a vaction to the deserts of CA next week (no comments
about the heat please )

I plan on draggin my 80mm scope with me. I am getting back into
astronomy after many many years and I am trying to do my preplanning to make
sure I make the most of the dark skys. I was hoping for something that
could help me plan the nights on an hour by hour basis.

Is there a good recommendation for planning SW that I can use to print
skymaps based on my locale ?

Why not just use a planisphere?

No batteries, nothing to go wrong. Handy for lots of
"what if" questions.

Cheap, too.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce

Old June 19th 06, 07:00 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

laura wrote in response to

Sam The Cat's
Folks,
I am planning a vaction to the deserts of CA next week (no comments
about the heat please )

I plan on draggin my 80mm scope with me. I am getting back into
astronomy after many many years and I am trying to do my preplanning to make
sure I make the most of the dark skys. I was hoping for something that
could help me plan the nights on an hour by hour basis.

Is there a good recommendation for planning SW that I can use to print
skymaps based on my locale ?

Why not just use a planisphere?

No batteries, nothing to go wrong. Handy for lots of
"what if" questions.

Cheap, too.

Heretic - How Dare you suggest something not only practical, but also
simple and for the most part infallible. Who knows what someone might
suggest next - Do a bit of preplanning and mark it with x's in the areas he
might want to look for objects of interest! ;-)

Laura - Great suggestion.

Crazy Ed

Old June 20th 06, 02:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Sam The Cat wrote:
Folks,
I am planning a vaction to the deserts of CA next week (no comments
about the heat please )

I plan on draggin my 80mm scope with me. I am getting back into
astronomy after many many years and I am trying to do my preplanning to make
sure I make the most of the dark skys. I was hoping for something that
could help me plan the nights on an hour by hour basis.

Is there a good recommendation for planning SW that I can use to print
skymaps based on my locale ?

Cheers

On top of Laura's suggestion...

Get a Telrad.

Messier Telrad Charts are available online in pdf format for printing. I
printed them off at work and put them into a three ring binder. Smartest
thing I ever did for those nights when I want to spend more than an hour
poking around with the non-computerized scopes.

Not sure if there's a planisphere with the Messier objects included
though, so a pocket map with them included might be a good idea.
Old June 20th 06, 03:40 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Stephen Paul wrote:

Not sure if there's a planisphere with the Messier objects included
though, so a pocket map with them included might be a good idea.

I use the Firefly planisphere, which is the biggest I could
find: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1552977862.
It has the brighter Messier objects on it, as well as a few
NGC and IC objects.

It's big. It works. In the field I supplement it with Sky Atlas 2000.

Note to the original poster: do you want to plan, or do you
want to observe? I'd take it easy on the former, and
concentrate on the latter. Especially coming back after
being away for a while. Allow yourself some time to
just wander around the sky. It's a beautiful, scenic place,
an experience to be savoured.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old June 20th 06, 03:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Laura Halliday wrote:
I use the Firefly planisphere, which is the biggest I could
find: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1552977862.
It has the brighter Messier objects on it, as well as a few
NGC and IC objects.

It's beautiful, a work of art. And it's hefty, too--quite thick and
solid. It won't fold, by any means.

Incidentally, mine has all the Messiers. I have a review of it at

http://astro.isi.edu/notes/firefly.html

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html
Old June 21st 06, 04:57 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Brian Tung wrote:

It's beautiful, a work of art. And it's hefty, too--quite thick and
solid. It won't fold, by any means.

Incidentally, mine has all the Messiers...

I stand corrected: the Firefly planisphere does indeed
have all the Messier objects on it. I have it right in
front of me.

One of the more novel things I've done with mine was
using the analemma and the time of local noon to
determine my longitude.