Articles on SpaceRef about Griffin's recent Congressional appearance

Old November 3rd 05, 08:42 PM
Jeff Findley

Default Articles on SpaceRef about Griffin's recent Congressional appearance

Prepared Statement by Michael Griffin - House Science Committee Hearing:
"Status of NASA's Programs"
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=18570

Griffin: NASA Faces $3-5 Billion Gap in Shuttle Budget
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18173

House Science Democrats: No Consensus on Best Path Forward for NASA
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18175

Opening Statement by Rep. Sherwood Boehlert - House Science Committee
Hearing: "Status of NASA's Programs"
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18174

Opening Statement by Rep. Bart Gordon - House Science Committee Hearing:
"Status of NASA's Programs"
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18172

Opening Statement by Rep. Mark Udall House Science Committee Hearing:
"Status of NASA's Programs"
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18171

From the above articles, I can see I'm not the only one that's concerned
about NASA's budget shortfalls. The CEV program has barely begun and
already there is a projected $3 to $6 billion budget shortfall (depending on
which article you read).

Jeff

Old November 3rd 05, 10:59 PM
snidely

From the above articles,

6! Dang, my AP reference was only a brief eavesdropping on the
conversation.

Good find, Jeff!

/dps

Old November 4th 05, 12:28 AM
S. Wand

Several ominous statements concerning the lunar plans:

" Funding for technologies applicable to lunar surface systems, such as in
situ resource utilization (ISRU), are deferred and phased in only during the
out years. Discontinued, descoped or delayed technology projects include
nanomaterials, inflatable structures, large-scale solar power..."

and...

" ESAS results indicate that, given resource constraints, surface nuclear
power systems to support potential long-duration stays on the Moon will not
be required until after 2018. "... "NASA has contacted the Office of Naval
Reactors to initiate planning for termination actions on activities covered
by the Memorandum of Understanding between NASA and DOE (National Nuclear
Security Administration-Naval Reactors) regarding Civilian Space Nuclear
Reactors. "

and finally...

" Longer-duration human presence on the Moon is targeted for 2022. "

An optimist could read these statements and expect that a permanent lunar
presence will simply be delayed a few years. But pessimism forces me to
point out that the 4 year gap between first landing (2018) and long term
presence matches the length of the original Apollo program - in other words,
easily cancelled after the initial flag-planting and waning of public
interest.

Old November 4th 05, 03:12 AM
Jorge R. Frank

"Jeff Findley" wrote in
:

From the above articles, I can see I'm not the only one that's
concerned about NASA's budget shortfalls. The CEV program has barely
begun and already there is a projected $3 to $6 billion budget
shortfall (depending on which article you read).

That shortfall is the result of Griffin's effort to accelerate CEV from
2014 to 2012. TANSTAAFL - either NASA needs to cut something else to
accelerate CEV, or they need a budget increase to accelerate CEV, or they
simply delay CEV back to 2014.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 4th 05, 02:39 PM
Jeff Findley

More today:

$5-6 Billion Shortfall? Old News.
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...shor.html#more

Jeff

Old November 4th 05, 03:02 PM
Jeff Findley

"Jeff Findley" wrote in message
More today:

$5-6 Billion Shortfall? Old News.
http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/20...shor.html#more

Still mo

Griffin: NASA seeks shuttle cost cuts Administrator acknowledges shortfall
of $3-5 billion
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc.../51104004/1007

Various copies of the (short) AP article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9913974/
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/1....ap/index.html

On the right hand side of Spaceflight Now's site, there is video of Griffin
talking to the U.S. House of Representative's Science Committee, but you
have to sign up for a subscription to download the video:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/

US House of Representatives, Committee on Science
http://www.house.gov/science/press/109/109-152.htm
http://www.house.gov/science/press/109/109-155.htm
http://www.house.gov/science/press/109/109-149.htm

Jeff

Old November 4th 05, 03:38 PM
Joe Strout

In article ,
"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

"Jeff Findley" wrote in
:

From the above articles, I can see I'm not the only one that's
concerned about NASA's budget shortfalls. The CEV program has barely
begun and already there is a projected $3 to $6 billion budget
shortfall (depending on which article you read).

That shortfall is the result of Griffin's effort to accelerate CEV from
2014 to 2012. TANSTAAFL - either NASA needs to cut something else to
accelerate CEV, or they need a budget increase to accelerate CEV, or they
simply delay CEV back to 2014.

Or they switch to a far more economical program, such as many here have
been advocating (e.g. designing a lunar architecture that can fit into
current launchers, even if it involves EOR, and buying launches from a
competitive market rather than developing a whole new government
launcher system).

I realize that's not going to happen, but it's still worth pointing out
that there COULD be such a thing as a free lunch, if we were willing to
fire thousands of Shuttle workers.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |