re planning application

Old December 9th 04, 11:16 PM
James Vincent

Default re planning application

Hi

I thought that you may be interested in this
Switch that light off or face a fine

Interesting article with pollution map of Britain on front page of
Daily Telegraph today [Thursday 9th Dec] by Environment Ed stating....

" light pollution to become a statutory offence ... won't apply to
airports, bus garages but street lights and nuisance neighbours
not exempt... fines to £50,000"

--
Wishing you clear dark skies
Jim Vincent.

Old December 10th 04, 06:05 AM
Stephen Tonkin

James Vincent wrote:
Please ignore this post

No, I will not.

It was directly relevant to this newsgroup, and I was about to post an
extremely similar one, albeit with a different subject line (now
amended). For those who want more detail, light pollution will become a
statutory offence next year; congratulations are due to the CfDS,
especially Bob Mizon, who has been working for this for the best part of
two decades, and the CPRE, whose support for the last few years may have
been what was needed to add the "last straw" that swayed government.

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old December 10th 04, 11:52 PM
Chef!

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
James Vincent wrote:
Please ignore this post

No, I will not.

It was directly relevant to this newsgroup, and I was about to post an
extremely similar one, albeit with a different subject line (now
amended). For those who want more detail, light pollution will become
a statutory offence next year; congratulations are due to the CfDS,
especially Bob Mizon, who has been working for this for the best part
of two decades, and the CPRE, whose support for the last few years
may have been what was needed to add the "last straw" that swayed
government.
Best,
Stephen

The legislation is complete ********. Along with most of the other Bills
introduced by this lame-duck government, it's in the same class as hunting
with dogs, incitement to racial hatred, identity cards, homeland security,
etc etc - I'm just a tad surprised that you've been taken in by it.

Its ASBO's all over again, just spelt differently, that's all.

Regards
Chef!

Old December 11th 04, 01:57 AM
Martin Frey

"Chef!" wrote:

The legislation is complete ********. Along with most of the other Bills
introduced by this lame-duck government, it's in the same class as hunting
with dogs, incitement to racial hatred, identity cards, homeland security,
etc etc - I'm just a tad surprised that you've been taken in by it.

Its ASBO's all over again, just spelt differently, that's all.

Do you mean we are worse off, or at least, no better off with this
legislation? If so, I think you are wrong and, I hope, utterly wrong.

If your glass always seems half empty, try to think of it as half full
or fill it up, then empty it and fill it again until things either
start to look better or you fall asleep and stop raining on the
parade.

-----------------------------
Martin Frey
http://www.hadastro.org.uk
N 51 01 52.2 E 0 47 21.1
-----------------------------
Old December 11th 04, 06:36 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Chef! wrote:
The legislation is complete ********

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion. I would prefer to wait
and see how it pans out in practice once it is, political reshuffling
permitting, enforced *before* I pass judgement on its efficacy.

Old December 11th 04, 07:30 AM

I just hope that the CPRE don't have any members in the Countryside
Alliance. Either they will be hunting in the dark or they will be
allowed to put green laser pointers on each hound. As long as the
lasers are under 15 watts and the huntmaster promises not to let the
dogs shine their lasers in the fox's eyes while they're tearing him/her
to pieces. Which would be cruel and unfair. So, anybody want a
lorryload of full-cut-off laser downpointers in green waxed cotton
sleeves? Delivery guaranteed for the 2014 hunting season.
*
Chris.B

Old December 11th 04, 10:30 AM
Steve Taylor

Martin Frey wrote:

If your glass always seems half empty, try to think of it as half full

Nope, just over-engineered

Steve
Old December 11th 04, 01:16 PM
James Vincent

I would like to see if the legislation will make any real difference before
condemning it. I have written to local town
council again about the excessive light pollution from the local flood lit
sports field, they have replaced half of the existing lighting for full
cut-offs and amid them at the pitch, the other half are awful. I will let
you know what happens.

--
jims astro pages www.jimsastro.com
Castle Point Astronomy Club www.cpac.org.uk