Neutron Star

Old April 27th 04, 01:52 PM
Lloyd JONES

Default Neutron Star

Does anyone know how much they weigh?

Old April 27th 04, 08:41 PM
David Knisely

Loyd Jones posted:

Does anyone know how much they weigh?

Between one and three times the mass of the sun.

--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 18-23, 2004, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old April 28th 04, 04:11 AM
Eric

Lloyd JONES wrote:

Does anyone know how much they weigh?

A lot!
Old April 28th 04, 04:47 AM
Greysky

"Lloyd JONES" wrote in message
Does anyone know how much they weigh?

A neutron star comet landed in my swimming pool last week. It was about the
size of a flake of pepper, and it weighs 30 tons. I currently am using it as
a counterweight to my drawbridge.

Old April 28th 04, 11:37 AM
Lloyd JONES

Yeah Right, LOL

Old April 28th 04, 11:55 AM
Lloyd JONES

To answer my question I just looked it up on the net and it said "A single
thimbleful of neutron-star material would weigh 100 million tons or more, as
much as a good-sized mountain on Earth"

If anyone's interested here's the link.

http://blueox.uoregon.edu/~jimbrau/a...Chapter22.html

Old April 28th 04, 02:18 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi LLoyd If you dropped a one pound weight from a height of 3 feet here
on Earth if it hit your big toe it would hurt. If you did the same thing
on a neutron star the impact force would have the energy of a one mega
ton H-Bomb. I have never read anything about the actual weight of a
neutron star. I know its mass density is three times less than a
blackhole,so its three times lighter. The Earth's surface could not hold
up a piece of a neutron star the size of a drop of water. That is why
there is a theory about what happened in Siberia in 1905.that goes like
this. A very small object with the mass density of a neutron star
came down in Siberia,and passed through the Earth and came out through
the Atlantic ocean,and went off into deep space. It must be
funny to see a neutron star having a star even larger than the Sun
revolving around such a small object. LLoyd LIGO(gravity detected) has
the best chance of detecting gravity waves is by honing in on a binary
neutron star system. My thoughts on this is LIGO should only be used in
deep space. Even the moon is better than the Earth. Bert

Old April 28th 04, 04:03 PM
Bill Sheppard

From Bert:

My thoughts on this is LIGO should only
be used in deep space.

Bert, i know you have a hard and fast rule against GOOGling, but a rule
needs to be broken once in a while. If you'd do a Google under 'Laser
Interferometer Space Antenna' (LISA), you find that a deep space GW
detector is already in the works in Europe. oc

Old April 28th 04, 05:55 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi oc It is a promise I made to my late friend "Joe" that I will not go
to Google. When he was alive I cheated a little,but now that is
impossible for me. He felt I had enough foundation(knowledge) to think
up ideas of my own,and that was better than being corrupted by ideas of
others. For me it just might work(I hope) oc as you pointed out gravity
wave detecters are going to be put in space. I could easily predicted
that. I have posted there are to many 18 wheelers,and that alone can
cause mirrors to wiggle. I don't oc like gravity wave detecters being
to close to our solar system. I would like a gravity detecter out
about 2LY from the sun,and yet my thoughts tell me its to close. Bert

Old April 29th 04, 03:38 AM
onegod

It probably is WEIGHTLESS since it is measure of force to keep it from
falling.
It is too fast, too dense, too massive, and too hot to be held :-)