Getting a Edmund 6 newt clock drive to work

Old June 23rd 04, 05:07 AM
robertebeary

Default Getting a Edmund 6 newt clock drive to work

For all those folks that had or still have the Edmund Scientific 6
inch Newtonian Super Space Conqueror Telescope (still got the product
lit):

How do I know if the clock drive still works after all these years;
bought the scope when I was a youngster and never figured out how to
use this feature. Now that I'm much much older and more wealthier
(working vs. going to public school)I figure its time. How do I get
this drive to work. I remember for the past that the big gear would
rotate once every 24hours. Is that correction? I believe it is. But
how do I get it to track on the polar axis? I tested it way back when
but the scope didn't pivot at all. I'm thinking (correct me if I'm
wrong) that either the clutch tension screws (2 thumb screws at the
bottom of the mount) wasn't tight enough (always afraid that if I
tightened it too much it was ruin the drive) or it has something to do
with the "tightening screws" between the "eccentric pin". Speaking of
the Eccentric Pin, whats that for? Some goes for the "manual tracking
compensating lever"?

Now for the wealthier part (not that I'm wealthy but at least I'm
earning more what I get for birthday money), I recall (wished I kept
the catalog) that Edmund was selling an add on component that one
could use to dial in the speed for tracking the moon and the planets.
Can one still buy one or make it?

I figure if I get the clock working I hope to be able to take some
deep space piggy back photos. Was this drive any good at keeping a
decent track for say 1 to 2 hours?

Finally, anyone make a camera holder using those 4 holes?

Thanks for reading this and the journey down memory lane.