Mars Exploration Rovers Update - May 6, 2004

Old May 7th 04, 04:07 PM
Ron

Default Mars Exploration Rovers Update - May 6, 2004

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120,
May 06, 2004

Spirit is now approximately 1.7 kilometers (1 mile) away from
the base of the "Columbia Hills" after three long sols of
driving. Its odometer currently reads 1,566 meters (.97 miles)
and counting.

Sol 118 was a record-breaking driving sol for Spirit. The
Gusev Crater rover moved 92.4 meters (303 feet) across the
surface in one sol, breaking its previous record of around
90 meters (295 feet). The Opportunity rover still has Spirit
beat with a one-sol driving record of 140 meters (459.3 feet).

Sol 119 proved to be a more difficult sol for Spirit. An
uplink configuration error prevented the sequence load from
successfully getting on board the rover. Rover controllers
took advantage of the down day by deleting afternoon
communication sessions and enabling the rover to charge its
battery during a long afternoon nap.

It was back to business as usual on sol 120. Before embarking
on its drive, Spirit imaged a rock called "Tulula" with the
panoramic camera. The rover then successfully executed a
blind drive before using the autonomous navigation system to
continue into uncharted territory. After reaching the
time-of-day driving limit, Spirit turned and performed
penultimate (next to last stop) imaging. The next move would
have taken the rover 85 centimeters (33.5 inches) to its
ultimate stopping point, but did not execute because Spirit
was facing a small sand ridge that was perceived as a hazard.
Without a penultimate/ultimate image pair, rover controllers
could not be sure that the area underneath the rover was clear
of hazards for instrument arm deployment. As a result, Sol 121
will be another driving sol that controllers hope will place
Spirit in a suitable location to use the instruments on its
instrument deployment device.

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: An Eyeful at 'Endurance' - sol 98-99,
May 06, 2004

Opportunity continues to gaze at the incredible "Endurance
Crater" from its vantage point on the western rim. Remote
sensing, including gathering of imagery of two potential
traverse targets just inside the northern edge and
southwestern edge of the crater, will continue on the rover's
100th sol.
Old May 8th 04, 06:43 PM
Sir Charles W. Shults III

"Ron" wrote in message
om...
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120,
May 06, 2004

snip

Hey Ron- can you get them to take a few pictures of the Spirit
blueberries as well? I want to compare them to the Opportunity ones. The
panoramic images are okay but color would be nice too. Some microscopic
images would be even better.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com

Cheers!

Chip Shults

Old May 9th 04, 03:27 AM
George

"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote in message
om...
"Ron" wrote in message
om...
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120,
May 06, 2004

snip

Hey Ron- can you get them to take a few pictures of the Spirit
blueberries as well? I want to compare them to the Opportunity ones. The
panoramic images are okay but color would be nice too. Some microscopic
images would be even better.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com

Cheers!

Chip Shults

I don't think they take requests. Nice try, though.

Old May 9th 04, 05:35 PM
Greg Crinklaw

George wrote:
"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote in message
om...

"Ron" wrote in message
.com...

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120,
May 06, 2004

snip

Hey Ron- can you get them to take a few pictures of the Spirit
blueberries as well? I want to compare them to the Opportunity ones. The
panoramic images are okay but color would be nice too. Some microscopic
images would be even better.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com

Cheers!

Chip Shults

I don't think they take requests. Nice try, though.

Not to mention that there aren't a hematite spherules at the Spirit
site. But of course that an easy leap for someone who imagines
trilobite fossils in every rock...

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply have a physician remove your spleen

Old May 10th 04, 02:07 AM
Sir Charles W. Shults III

George wrote:
"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote in message
om...

"Ron" wrote in message
.com...

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/status.html

SPIRIT UPDATE: 'Columbia Hills' on the Horizon - sol 118-120,
May 06, 2004

snip

Hey Ron- can you get them to take a few pictures of the Spirit
blueberries as well? I want to compare them to the Opportunity ones.

The
panoramic images are okay but color would be nice too. Some microscopic
images would be even better.

http://www.xenotechresearch.com

Cheers!

Chip Shults

I don't think they take requests. Nice try, though.

Not to mention that there aren't a hematite spherules at the Spirit
site. But of course that an easy leap for someone who imagines
trilobite fossils in every rock...

Well, Greg, perhaps you should look at this:
http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsf.htm
Spirit has spherules of the exact same size and color. The close up
shots show the same sorts of details. But I wouldn't want to rock the boat.

Cheers!

Chip Shults

Old May 10th 04, 05:04 AM
Greg Crinklaw

Sir Charles W. Shults III wrote:
Not to mention that there aren't a hematite spherules at the Spirit
site. But of course that an easy leap for someone who imagines
trilobite fossils in every rock...

Well, Greg, perhaps you should look at this:
http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsf.htm
Spirit has spherules of the exact same size and color. The close up
shots show the same sorts of details. But I wouldn't want to rock the boat.

No sir, it does not any more than those "angel" stains in the soil
reported by that other nut were real flying angels. Irrational nuts
like you don't come close to even making the boat sway a tiny little bit.

Your delusions don't count for anything.

*PLONK*

Old May 11th 04, 06:47 AM
Sir Charles W. Shults III

Then I guess you don't want to see the trilobite.
http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsx.htm
Oh well.

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III

Old May 12th 04, 04:15 AM
George

"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote in message
m...
Then I guess you don't want to see the trilobite.
http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsx.htm
Oh well.

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III

I think you see what you want to see.

Old May 12th 04, 04:46 PM
Jerry Petrey

George wrote:

"Sir Charles W. Shults III" wrote in message
m...
Then I guess you don't want to see the trilobite.
http://www.xenotechresearch.com/marsx.htm
Oh well.

Cheers!

Sir Charles W. Shults III

I think you see what you want to see.

How true. Kind of reminds me of the old joke about the guy taking an ink blot
test from a psychiatrist –
For every image, he saw something related to sex. The doctor said “It's
obvious that you are obsessed with sex.” The man replied, “Me? But Doc,
you're the one showing me the dirty pictures”.

Jerry