Solar Probe Plus To Plunge Directly Into Sun's Atmosphere

Old September 5th 10, 09:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Solar Probe Plus To Plunge Directly Into Sun's Atmosphere

"NASA's daring plan to visit the sun took a giant leap
forward with the selection of five key science
investigations for the Solar Probe+ spacecraft.

Slated to launch no later than 2018, the smart car-
sized spacecraft will plunge directly into the
atmosphere of the sun, aiming to solve some of the
biggest mysteries of solar physics. The
announcement means that researchers can begin
building sensors for unprecedented in situ
measurements of the solar system's innermost
frontier."

See:

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/So...phere_999.html
Old September 12th 10, 09:53 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/11/2010 7:28 PM, David Spain wrote:
wrote:
Slated to launch no later than 2018, the smart car-
sized spacecraft will plunge directly into the
atmosphere of the sun,

Umm, is this to be another COTS program?
So which solar powered smart car gets the nod?

I actually saw one of those a couple of weeks ago; it looks like my
ancient 1992 Ford Festiva with the back seats removed, and downsized to
fit Munchkins.
https://wiki-land.wikispaces.com/Smart+cars
I think it's cute as hell, and it's probably a lot of fun to drive too.
Sort of what a scooter is to a motorcycle.
Of course the car I dream of owning is this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200
You know why?
Because the original engine for it was the Reidel two-stroke starter
motor used to rev up the Junkers-Jumo 004 turbojets to ignition speed on
the Me-262 jet fighter in WWII.
It would be like driving a Nazi secret weapon of some kind around.
The exterior would have to be done in a dark-green/black green splinter
camouflage scheme, the interior in jet black and brushed steel, and a
dull-silver skull with a little mustache on it replacing the gear-shift
knob.
Bumper sticker: "Adolph Hitler Ist Der Krieg! Beim Nächsten Mal Sicher!"
in blood red letters over a black background. :-D

Pat

Old September 12th 10, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

Pat Flannery wrote:
Of course the car I dream of owning is this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Me...inenroller.jpg

This is just *begging* for a photoshop makeover. heh heh heh
When I get the time, or maybe Pat or Scott Lowther will beat me to
it..

Think cammo, Iron Cross, attached 5 segment SRB, solar panels...

-D

Dave
Old September 13th 10, 10:25 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 9/12/2010 10:00 AM, David Spain wrote:

This is just *begging* for a photoshop makeover. heh heh heh
When I get the time, or maybe Pat or Scott Lowther will beat me to
it..

Think cammo, Iron Cross, attached 5 segment SRB, solar panels...

NEIN! It vill be powered by slave labor! Filthy "Unterrodenten" rats
running on a treadmill unter der hood!

Pat