Meade 2080

Old October 15th 07, 01:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dennis Allen

Default Meade 2080

Hi. A fellow club member just dropped his Meade 2080. In setting up
the scope, he fumbled with the bolts securing it to the wedge and
dropped it onto the concrete, breaking the the corrector plate.
Question. Does anyone have a replacement corrector plate?

Old October 15th 07, 04:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
MAT[_2_]

"Dennis Allen" wrote in message
om...
Hi. A fellow club member just dropped his Meade 2080. In setting up the
scope, he fumbled with the bolts securing it to the wedge and dropped it
onto the concrete, breaking the the corrector plate. Question. Does
anyone have a replacement corrector plate?

YEOW!! I wonder how many have lost expensive stuff this way. Even fumbling
with
expensive EP's is a chore on the backyard patio.

Old October 15th 07, 06:48 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Oct 14, 8:24 pm, "Dennis Allen" wrote:
Hi. A fellow club member just dropped his Meade 2080. In setting up
the scope, he fumbled with the bolts securing it to the wedge and
dropped it onto the concrete, breaking the the corrector plate.
Question. Does anyone have a replacement corrector plate?

Call Meade for help.

Old October 15th 07, 10:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Dennis Allen wrote, in part:
In setting up
the scope, he fumbled with the bolts securing it to the wedge and
dropped it onto the concrete, breaking the the corrector plate.

This is a terrible misfortune, and I certainly regret that this has
happened. However, the corrector plate is the most likely part of a
Schmidt-Cassegrain to be damaged, so you are unlikely to find many
people with a left-over corrector plate lying around.

I'm afraid that all your fellow club member will be able to do is pay
for repairs to the telescope or order a replacement corrector plate.

John Savard

Old October 15th 07, 02:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected][_2_]

I don't like sayig this but call Meade to verify. Corrector plates
and mirrors are matched pairs. Good luck

Old October 15th 07, 05:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
J McBride

Possibly the cheapest and quickest route would to find a used OTA. I've
seen 8" OTA's go for $300-$500.

Joe

Old October 16th 07, 05:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Well

" wrote:

I don't like sayig this but call Meade to verify. Corrector plates
and mirrors are matched pairs. Good luck

This was what I thought until I called Meade once and the kid laughed and
said "uhhhhhhh nohhhhhhhh". But I always get the
morons so who knows - you may be right - or you may be left.
???

Old October 16th 07, 08:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Nakamoto

Well wrote:
" wrote:

I don't like sayig this but call Meade to verify. Corrector plates
and mirrors are matched pairs. Good luck

This was what I thought until I called Meade once and the kid laughed and
said "uhhhhhhh nohhhhhhhh". But I always get the
morons so who knows - you may be right - or you may be left.
???

No, he's right. They mass produce these things, and part of the process
is that they take a mirror, and try to match it to a corrector plate so
that part of the optical assembly is as closely matched as the specs
give them.

--- Dave
Old October 16th 07, 01:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RMOLLISE

Dennis Allen wrote, in part:

In setting up
the scope, he fumbled with the bolts securing it to the wedge and
dropped it onto the concrete, breaking the the corrector plate.

This is a terrible misfortune, and I certainly regret that this has
happened. However, the corrector plate is the most likely part of a
Schmidt-Cassegrain to be damaged, so you are unlikely to find many
people with a left-over corrector plate lying around.

I'm afraid that all your fellow club member will be able to do is pay
for repairs to the telescope or order a replacement corrector plate.

John Savard- Hide quoted text -

That's true, but a "surplus" corrector can perform well. Be prepared
to try the lens in various rotational orientations to find the "sweet
spot," however.

Unk Rod