Moon attraction

Old February 17th 05, 02:09 PM
George

Default Moon attraction

if Moon can cause waves in our oceans , then it should also be stealing
atmosphere of earth due to attraction
Old February 20th 05, 05:28 AM
J. Scott Miller

George wrote:
if Moon can cause waves in our oceans , then it should also be stealing
atmosphere of earth due to attraction

It doesn't make the waves, it causes the tides. Waves are a result of wind
blowing over the oceans. And I am sure you can provide the calculations
necessary to prove your assertion that the Moon's gravity can steal atmospheric
gases. Please do so.
Old February 21st 05, 12:41 AM

George wrote:
if Moon can cause waves in our oceans , then it should also be

stealing
atmosphere of earth due to attraction

By that logic, since you can make waves in a pool you should be able to
throw water into orbit, yes?

Just because the gravity of a body is strong enough to affect another
object does not mean the gravity is strong enough to rip chunks off.
For some educational reading, you might want to look into the "Roche
Limit." That is the distance where one object can actually start
ripping chunks off another object.

Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

Old February 21st 05, 07:41 PM
Joe Strout

"George" wrote:

if Moon can cause waves in our oceans , then it should also be stealing
atmosphere of earth due to attraction

Hmm, where to begin?

First, the Moon does not cause waves in our oceans; the winds do (and
the winds are driven by solar energy). Second, the Moon does cause
tides on the ocean, but the only "should also" one gets from that is
that it should also cause a tidal bulge in the atmosphere. I don't know
for sure whether that's the case, though I suspect that it is. But this
implies absolutely nothing about the Moon "stealing" atmosphere from the
Earth.

Indeed, if the Moon *could* steal Earth's atmosphere by its gravity,
then it could steal anything else, and we'd have the whole Moon and
Earth recombining in short order.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The apollo faq the inquirer Astronomy Misc 11 April 22nd 04 06:23 AM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Astronomy Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM