ASTRO: Grus Trio

Old December 16th 14, 09:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: Grus Trio

This galaxy trio in Grus is sort of the equivalent to the famous northern
“Leo trio”. Only difference being that this trio would fit into NGC 3628, so
everything is much smaller. They probably are no real trio as according to
Guide9 NGC 7582 (lower right) is only 54 million lightyears distant while
NGC 7599 and NGC 7590 are at 65/62 mio lj.

Taken from Kiripotib farm in Namibia with a 10” Meade ACF at f/8, MK100
mount, Trius SX694 camera, 9x10min Lum, RGB 4x10min each.
Image scale is 0,68"/Pixel.

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7582GrusTriogut.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	5439
Old December 17th 14, 02:42 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

You got real nice detail on this trio.

How do you like that camera? Pixel size seems small for the focal length of about 2000mm. That would give a pixel size of less than 0.5". The high QE and rather low read noise might compensate. Now if Sony would just make a larger chip with larger pixels for my system it sure would be an improvement over what's now available but then we aren't but a very minor part of their market so don't see it happening any time soon

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post

Old December 17th 14, 08:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

"WA0CKY" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...

You got real nice detail on this trio.

How do you like that camera? Pixel size seems small for the focal length of
about 2000mm. That would give a pixel size of less than 0.5". The high QE
and rather low read noise might compensate. Now if Sony would just make a
larger chip with larger pixels for my system it sure would be an improvement
over what's now available but then we aren't but a very minor part of their
market so don't see it happening any time soon.

Rick

Rick,

I get an image scale of 0.46"/pixel. Sometimes I still get sharp images at
this scale, but imaging at f/8 with such small pixels is _slow_.
My reasoning for changing from KAF8300 to ICX694 was that I was hoping that
the better chip technology would make up for the smaller pixels. While I
didn't make any "scientific" comparisons I think that I achieved that goal.
So far the Trius has met my expectations. Of course a larger chip would be
nice.
I am remotely considering to get a scope in the 10" f/4 (=0.9"/pixel) or
10"/f5 (0.75"/pixel) range. The easiest (and cheapest) choice would be a
Newton, but I never really liked Newtons, I'm an SCT man :-) For that reason
a 10" f/8 Meade ACF would be tempting _if_ I was sure that I can find a
fitting reducer (maybe even my AP CCDT67 could work, but I would like to
know that for sure before I pull the trigger...

Stefan