solar flare - can it erase hard drives?

Old October 29th 03, 02:43 PM
Mad Scientist

Default solar flare - can it erase hard drives?

I was wondering if someone could put to rest this question:

Can the electromagnetic radiation from this solar flare erase hard
disks or other magnetic media?
Old October 30th 03, 03:06 PM
Mad Scientist

I guess not (at least this time)... hard drive's still here, not erased.
Old October 30th 03, 09:04 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Mad Scientist wrote:
Can the electromagnetic radiation from this solar flare erase hard
disks or other magnetic media?

No. Except insofar as it might indirectly cause difficulties for software
or other hardware, which might respond poorly and mistakenly decide that
altering the contents of the disk was the right thing to do.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old October 31st 03, 12:18 AM
Nicholas Fitzpatrick

In article ,
Henry Spencer wrote:
In article ,
Mad Scientist wrote:
Can the electromagnetic radiation from this solar flare erase hard
disks or other magnetic media?

No. Except insofar as it might indirectly cause difficulties for software
or other hardware, which might respond poorly and mistakenly decide that
altering the contents of the disk was the right thing to do.

Hmm ... not even the x-ray radiation? I wouldn't have thought it would
have been very healthy, for say, laptop hardrives on the ISS.

Nick
Old October 31st 03, 05:40 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Nicholas Fitzpatrick wrote:
Can the electromagnetic radiation from this solar flare erase hard
disks or other magnetic media?

No. Except insofar as it might indirectly cause difficulties for software
or other hardware, which might respond poorly...

Hmm ... not even the x-ray radiation? I wouldn't have thought it would
have been very healthy, for say, laptop hardrives on the ISS.

X-rays don't affect magnetic media at all. (Much of the concern about
passing magnetic media through, e.g., airport X-ray machines is baseless
superstition. To the extent that it's legitimate, the issue is magnetic
fields associated with the equipment, rather than the X-rays themselves.)
Old November 1st 03, 02:16 PM
Anders Eklöf

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
Nicholas Fitzpatrick wrote:
Can the electromagnetic radiation from this solar flare erase hard
disks or other magnetic media?
No. Except insofar as it might indirectly cause difficulties for software
or other hardware, which might respond poorly...

Hmm ... not even the x-ray radiation? I wouldn't have thought it would
have been very healthy, for say, laptop hardrives on the ISS.

X-rays don't affect magnetic media at all. (Much of the concern about
passing magnetic media through, e.g., airport X-ray machines is baseless
superstition. To the extent that it's legitimate, the issue is magnetic
fields associated with the equipment, rather than the X-rays themselves.)

Also - those X-rays can't reach the ground - Earth's atmosphere is
equivalent of roughly 10 meters of water. If I recall correctly that is
deeper than most used-fuel basins in nuclear power plants.
Old November 6th 03, 02:59 AM
Keith F. Lynch

Henry Spencer wrote:
X-rays don't affect magnetic media at all.

True, at least for plausible fluences.

(Much of the concern about passing magnetic media through, e.g.,
airport X-ray machines is baseless superstition. To the extent that
it's legitimate, the issue is magnetic fields associated with the
equipment, rather than the X-rays themselves.)

I think it's very legitimate. Conveyer belts, or rather the motors
that drive them, can easily erase tapes, diskettes, and disks, and
other magnetic media on the belt.
--
Keith F. Lynch - - http://keithlynch.net/
I always welcome replies to my e-mail, postings, and web pages, but
Old November 6th 03, 10:11 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Keith F. Lynch wrote:
(Much of the concern about passing magnetic media through, e.g.,
airport X-ray machines is baseless superstition. To the extent that
it's legitimate, the issue is magnetic fields associated with the
equipment, rather than the X-rays themselves.)

I think it's very legitimate. Conveyer belts, or rather the motors
that drive them, can easily erase tapes, diskettes, and disks, and
other magnetic media on the belt.

While it is possible, "easily" is a vast overstatement. Motors usually
don't produce strong external magnetic fields, and magnetic media are much
more robust than people commonly think -- to have any effect at all, a
magnet must be either very strong or very close (practically touching the
media).