Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

Old September 23rd 04, 05:11 PM
Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)

Default Mysterious signals from 1000 light years away

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone
2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years is aware of us.
3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.
--
V.G.

Change pobox dot alaska to gci.
"I wanted a car I could run down pedestrians with. But one with a comfy ride, like a sofa on wheels." - Father Haskell

"No doubt about it, 9-11 was orchestrated by Lockheed." - *lexa 'connects the dots' 4/27/04 )

"Nope, Lockheed provided the cover for 9-11 due to abuses of it's system. They're guilty as charged. But ultimately it was Bechtel who concocted the
9-11 events." Alexa connects some totally different dots. 8/6/04 )

Sarcasm is my sword, Apathy is my shield.
Old September 23rd 04, 05:26 PM
Aratzio

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)"
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone
2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years is aware of us.
3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Like what, PROOF?
Old September 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
Anders Eklöf

Aratzio wrote:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)"
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone 2 Intelligent life that has been around more
than a million years is aware of us. 3 Earth has been visited; I said
Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Like what, PROOF?

Well - something in that domain...
Old September 24th 04, 03:32 AM
Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:26:18 -0700, Aratzio
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message
ws.com:

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)"
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone
2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years is aware of us.
3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Like what, PROOF?

For starters, yes.

Old September 24th 04, 07:45 AM
Paul Lawler

"Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)" wrote in
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone

evidence supporting that statement?

2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years
is aware of us.

Define intelligence. Bees? Cockroaches?

3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Evidence supporting that statement?

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Bingo.
Old September 26th 04, 02:28 PM
EvolBob

Like what, PROOF?

Exactly!

Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.
No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would be no accidents.

The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3 certain things I mentioned could not be true.

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are in
the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply stating the obvious.

Regards
Robert

"Aratzio" wrote in message rdnews.com...
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:11:25 -0800, "Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)"
transparently proposed:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 03:37:33 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Three things are certain:

1 We are not alone
2 Intelligent life that has been around more than a million years is aware of us.
3 Earth has been visited; I said Earth - not us!

Your definition of "certain" leaves a lot to be desired.

Like what, PROOF?

---

Old September 26th 04, 06:20 PM
Vanilla Gorilla (Monkey Boy)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:28:19 +1200, "EvolBob"
wrote in alt.fan.art-bell in message :

Like what, PROOF?

Exactly!

Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.
No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would be no accidents.

The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3 certain things I mentioned could not be true.

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are in
the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply stating the obvious.

Regards
Robert

Unfortunately, history teaches us that "the obvious" has the
unpleasant habit of often being completely wrong.

Old September 26th 04, 06:35 PM
edens morgan mair fheal greykitten tomys des anges

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how resourceful
intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are in

we dont know how life arose from nonlife on earth
this process has never been observed
and is currently outside scientific study

assuming there is life
we dont know how much it is intelligent
based on earths own history
its a fair chance prokaryotes will arise quickly if the circumstances present
but that eukaryotes are rare inventions

we dont know what is the distribution of planets that can support life
a supernova occured near our sun when it was forming
perhaps you need this influx of heat and material to create life
in which case life would be very very very rare

the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply stating
the obvious.

you obviously havent put much thought into this

arf meow arf
Old September 26th 04, 10:00 PM
Paul Lawler

"EvolBob" wrote in
:

Like what, PROOF?

Exactly!

Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.
No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would
be no accidents.

"Everyone knows" is not proof. "Everyone knows" that green m&ms make you
horny. "Everyone knows" that bad things happen in threes. Common
knowledge is not a reliable indicator of fact.

The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3
certain things I mentioned could not be true.

Sorry. Statistics attempting to demonstrate something "could not be true"
are no proof that it is true.

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
stating the obvious.

Again incorrect. The "obvious" conclusion is that there is no other life,
since you can demonstrate NO evidence that it exists, other than your
conjecture that there is a lot of space so other life "must" exist.
Conjecture is not fact.
Old September 27th 04, 12:37 AM
John Griffin

"EvolBob" wrote:

Top-posted stuff moved to proper place. See below.

"Aratzio" wrote

--------------------------------------

Like what, PROOF?

Exactly!

Everyone knows if you drive safely the accident rate will go down.

It's very likely that there are people who don't know that.

No one believes if everyone drove as safely as possible, there would
be no accidents.

It's very likely that there are people who do believe that. Maybe only
13 on the entire planet, but almost certainly not zero.

The proof is there in the incredibly long statistics, that the 3
certain things I mentioned could not be true.

Proof in statistics?! I love new concepts. Tell me more!

If you had a good knowledge of how life can develop, and how
resourceful intelligent life is, and just how many planets there are
in the Universe for this to occur, Monkey Boy would know I was simply
stating the obvious.

That's borderline silly. We all have equal knowledge of life elsewhere in
the universe, i.e., none.

Obvious that it's impossible that Earth has not been visited? No.

Obvious that it's impossible that we are alone? No.

Obvious that it's impossible that entities from "out there" are aware of
us? ****, no. As a matter of fact, the probability is vanishingly
small. As a matter of fact, consider the SETI project. The scientists
are "listening" on what they think is the most logical narrow band of
wavelength. The critters they're looking for are probably doing the same,
but nothing on Earth is transmitting on that band. (I don't know that
for sure.) Furthermore, everything we have leaked into space will be
drowned in the sun's spectrum, and if not, it has only reached somewhere
around a couple of dozen stars.

Your concept of "certain" doesn't work.

I happen to believe there has been life somewhere in the universe
continuously for several billion years. Civilizations have flourished and
then perished with their stars, and not one of them has been able to
reach another star, any more than we can say we will have reached another
star if one of the Voyagers happens to get captured by one a few million
years from now. I'd bet that there's lots more non-sentient life than the
kind that evolves into a technological, or even civilized species.

Now for the serious stuff. HAARP is actually an interstellar
communications device, and it uses propietary technology developed by
Alaskans. It actually sends and receives by means other than the
relatively slow electromagnetic radiation we all know about. HAARP's
first identical twin is on a planet orbiting a star somewhere between 30
and 90 light years away. The actual distance and coordinates are a big
****in' secret. Since the first thing the Alaskans did when they
invented HAARP was to broadcast its blueprints, the ****in' things are
sprouting all over the galaxy.