telescope store in Detroit

Old December 16th 03, 03:06 AM
A.Z

Default telescope store in Detroit

Can anyone recommend a telescope store in Detroit Michigan?
Old December 16th 03, 03:20 AM
Edward

About the only decent one I know of is Ryder's in Livonia. While I have
your attention, swing by the Michigan astro group on Yahoo if you'd like.
Good bunch of people (if slightly nuts), local news and events.

Ed

"A.Z" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a telescope store in Detroit Michigan?

Old December 17th 03, 06:10 AM
John Graff

"About the only decent one I know of is Ryder's in Livonia. "

Please, he said "a telescope store" not the bloody Hobby Shop!

Might as well go to Costco. And no, there are no good astro shops anywhere
near Detroit.I live in Oakland county and haven't seen one after a five year
search. Except for an adjustable moon filter everything I have had to be
purchased online.

http://www.homestead.com/AstroWorld/dealers1.html

Your best tool is the one you posted this message with.

John.

Old December 17th 03, 09:04 PM
Edward

Great company, they're in Oklahoma.

Ed

"A.Z" wrote in message
om...
(A.Z) wrote in message

. com...
Can anyone recommend a telescope store in Detroit Michigan?

What about Astronomics ?? I don't know anything about it except that I
found it on the web through Bizrate.com

AC

Old December 18th 03, 05:52 AM
John Graff

Default telescope store in Detroit--I would guess you have not been there

No , you're right I haven't been to that particular outlet of Rider's,
however I stand by my statement. The owner of this franchise may be into it,
but what happens when he's not in? I do know someone that bought a scope
there and I wish they wouldn't have sold it to them, perhaps the owner would
have pointed them in a better direction, but it's a "Hobby Shop" and if it's
on the floor they'll ring it up no problem, no questions.

I like the fact this guy tries to spread an interest in astronomy, I also
think with the fact that he would be competition free he could dump the
"Rider's fluff and open a good astroshop. Lots of observers in SE Michigan
would be regular customers and there are a lot of them. It's not something
I'm qualified to do but there is an untapped market here.

Hope your stocking is stuffed with various expensive oculars

John.