The First Step in Creating a Space Age - Treat Earth as a Planet

Old November 7th 10, 09:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Default The First Step in Creating a Space Age - Treat Earth as a Planet

The Earth As a Planet.

Science has shown that it is highly efficient at doing things when
enough people put enough resources behind the right sorts of
programs. For example, fission was discovered in 1938 and this
resulted in the Manhattan Project in 1942 and the first atomic bombs
in 1946. Humanity built a network of nuclear weapons capable of
ending modern civilization in an afternoon should we choose to do
that.

Can we move as quickly to create what Buckminster Fuller called
'livingry' (as opposed to weaponry) to make our world a paradise?

The first step toward this goal, should we choose it as something at
least as worthwhile as weaponry and armies of death and destruction,
we need to ask some simple questions to see where we stand, if our
planet has enough resources to meet the needs of 8 billion people
living as they please.

Do we have enough resources on Earth to create a paradise on Earth in
a reasonable time frame?

To answer this question we need to have an idea of what's needed, and
an idea of what's available. What's needed is easily identified by
taking the laundry list of things purchased by the wealthiest people,
and what goes into making those things, and adding up the total for 8
billion people consuming products the same way the 10 million
millionaires live today.

When one does this the answer is;

We may have.

People need primarily;

(1) energy
(2) water
(3) food
(4) wood
(5) metals

The major wood reserves of the planet re found in Taiga - the
coniferous forest encircling the North Pole;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Di...tion_Taiga.png

here is Taiga relative to the other biome's on the planet

http://chalk.richmond.edu/education/...s/taigamap.gif

Energy, is found in the deserts, which is also a natural locale for
remotely operated solar powered industry - operated in ways that keep
industry isolated from the biomes;

http://www.cheshire-innovation.com/World%20Deserts.gif

With abundant low cost energy we have the means to turn seawater into
fresh water through desalination along with salts and we also have the
means to turn fresh water sunlight and certain of the salts obtained
from desalination into food using enclosed agriculture in the
desert.

The oceans appear to have abundant metal in deep ocean rifts

http://www.onepetro.org/mslib/servle...780-MS&soc=OTC

We have technologies developed over the cold war to access these
reserves and process them into useful forms.

ENERGY

The world today uses 12 trillion watts of power primarily through the
combustion of 11 billion tons of fossil fuels that produce 40 billion
tons of CO2.

Collecting sunlight and making hydrogen from deionized water and using
hydrogen in place of fossil fuels requires 17 trillion watts of
collectors - base load - which means 60 trillion watts peak requiring
100,000 sq km of solar panels be placed within the 11 million sq km of
deserts. Less than 1%

Looking at the consumption of energy of the world's wealthiest people
- the 10 million millionaires - and assuming we have 8 billion people
consuming at millionaire rates - we will need 185 trillion watts of
collectors located in the deserts baseload - 487 trillion watts peak
requiring 810,530 sq km of solar panels. Less than 8% of the total.

FOOD

By Water
85.7 kg/m3 per 1 m3 of fresh water.

By Area (average)
17.1 kg/m2/yr

The meat-based diet differs from the vegetarian diet in that 124 kg of
meat and 20.3 kg of fish are consumed per year in addition to 995 kg
of plant material. For every 1 kg of high-quality animal protein
produced, livestock are fed about 6 kg of plant protein. So a high
quality meat diet consumes 1,739 kg of plant protien.

In the conversion of plant protein to animal protein, there are 2
principal inputs or costs: 1) the direct costs of production of the
harvest animal, including its feed; and 2) the indirect costs for
maintaining the breeding herds.

Energy is expended in livestock production systems. For example,
broiler chicken production is the most efficient, with an input of 4
kcal of fuel energy for each 1 kcal of broiler protein produced. The
broiler system is primarily dependent on grain. Turkey, also a grain-
fed system, is next in efficiency, with a ratio of 10:1. Milk
production, based on a mixture of two-thirds grain and one-third
forage, is relatively efficient, with a ratio of 14:1. Both pork and
egg production also depend on grain. Pork production has a ratio of
14:1, whereas egg production has a 39:1 ratio.

This extra energy is included in the larger energy inputs described
above.

To produce the required 1,795 kg of food each year requires 20.3 m3 of
fresh water made from salt water grown on 101.7 m2 per person. A
total of 813,567 sq km of desert lands fed with 162.4 billion m3 of
fresh water and other inputs provide this.

http://www.slideshare.net/ifad/ifad-...ation-27-oct09
http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/3/660S

WOOD

The world today uses about 0.3 m3 of wood products per person per year
worldwide, but the wealthiest of us use 20x this amount - 6.0 m3 of
wood products per person per year. 8 billion people consuming at this
higher rate totals 48 billion m3/yr or 38 billion kg/year - 38
million tons.

Taiga occupies 25 million square kilometers of area and each of those
square kilometers has a bioenergy conversion factor of 0.83 Joules/m2/
year which translates to 46,000 kg per square kilometer per year.
This means that 826,000 sq km of these forests properly managed could
provide for everyone's need for wood products to build fine homes,
fine furnishings, and provide all paper and other wood products.

http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_libra...d_complete.pdf
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/taiga.htm
http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-p...6&size=largest

HARVESTING TAIGA

To access these products in an environmentally sustainable way
requires new technology. One approach would be hydrogen filled and
fueled neutral buoyancy aircraft that had the ability to retrieve and
process in the air via teleoperation from the air individual trees
identified by multi-spectral scanning from orbit.

HARVESTING THE OCEANS

We need to survey the ocean deeps - or more likely make available
data already gathered by the world's navies to appropriate geological
analysis - to determine the size of the reserves available to us.
Large numbers of remotely operated miniature nuclear submarines -
developed for sub-surface intelligence operations - adapted to mine
and transport to the surface - and partially process ores - to deliver
semi-refined ores to the ocean's surface - allows us to produce enough
metal ores to sustain 8 billion people at very high living standards
aboard floating platforms with minimal environmental impact again
using small nuclear reactors aboard these platforms .

Such technology already exists

http://yachtpals.com/bonhomme-richard-1959
http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/12520/?a=f

This approach also makes use of our existing stockpile of nuclear
fuels in a very beneficial way as well as our accumulated know-how in
the seas.

TRANSPORT REQUIREMENTS

Each person per yer requires;

2.0 metric tons food products (and packaging)
6.0 metric tons wood products
5.0 metric tons hydrogen fuel
2.0 metric tons metal ores

to maintain the lifestyle of a modern millionaire today.

With adequate machinery it will take only 1.5 billion people working
60 hours per week to maintain this living standard for 8 billion
people. This is nearly 50% of the world's 3.2 billion employed
today. Yet nearly 1 billion are subsistence farmers whose jobs will
become surperflouous when modern agriculture is applied on a large
scale to the desert. Another 600 million will become unemployed in
traditional extraction industries as this system grows. So, there
are 1.5 billion people with skills and capabilities that can be used
far more efficiently with the right investments. It will take this
level of effort for five years to build all the infrastructure
needed. It will take an additional five years to grow the system from
a 1,500 person seed system to full scale operation. It will take
five years to design and build the seed system. So, planning and
logistics can take this into account as things are switched over to
the vastly more efficient system. There are about 40,000 extraction
companies affected, and about half a billion subsistence farms
affected. The buy-in need not be arduous. A 1,500 person
'productive cell' could partner with 1,500 people employed at a
company, or companies, to convert from lower productivity to higher
productivity.

Change the world in 15 years;

+5 - design and build the seed system
+5 - grow the seed system to full scale
+5 - operate the full scale system to build value

With 19.86 people born per 1,000 people 158.8 million are born each
year. So, to sustain the working population pay and benefits allow
workers to accumulate retirement in 35 years only 10.5% of the world's
people need to be recruited into the primary productive system
described here.

8 billion people consuming at a $125,000 per person per year rate
totals $1 quadrillion per year. This is 18x what the world consumes
today. The value of the capital base that makes this possible could
reasonably be said to be worth 17x of the world's entire capital base
today. The value of this capital base rises with each passing year
as everyone accumulates more.

This is a measure of the value of investing capital to create 8
billion millionaires by employing the unemployed or under-employed
today more efficiently. The sustainable working population is only
10% of the world's youth, which means that 90% of the world's youth
are available to exercise additional capital for other purposes
organized by those who put in the original capital. Since all nations
would have to agree to such wide ranging use of resources and people,
we might at first blush say 50% of the benefit goes to those
governments and 50% of the benefit goes to those investors who make
the change possible. In this case all the world's governments would
split something like $450 trillion (the USA federal government
collected $2.2 trillion and spent $3.5 trillion in 2010) per year, and
all the world's wealthy would collect $450 trillion per year in
products and efforts called for by the private markets they create.
Another $100 trillion is reinvested in wages and capital to maintain
the primary system going.

The creation of a highly productive system to efficiently use the
world's limited resources to meet everyone's basic needs (at the
millionaire level today) need not be anything more difficult to
understand the organization of than say the construction of toll roads
today to meet the needs of the public. The roads are constructed
according to public need and approval, and those who invest in the
roads collect tolls as the road is used. Same here.

Something like this happened in the past. In 1908 Henry Ford opened
his Model T assembly plant and revolutionized the world by
simultaneously producing a car for less than $1,000 - while paying his
workers $5 per day - 5x the going rate for workers! He called the $4
premium - efficiency premium - for working more efficiently with his
mass production method. His workers were enriched, and so was Ford
and his investors even while automobiles were made a far less expense
than ever before!

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/ford.htm

There is no reason we cannot view the major assets of our planet and
organize to use them the same way - without disrupting markets or
governments - merely by taking a sane rational approach to the way
things are done using the best available technology and information we
have today.
Old November 7th 10, 09:55 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

http://chalk.richmond.edu/education/...iomes/taigamap...

http://www.onepetro.org/mslib/servle...d=OTC-4780-MS&....

http://www.slideshare.net/ifad/ifad-...full/78/3/660S

http://earthtrends.wri.org/pdf_libra...20r7752n3w756&...

http://yachtpals.com/bonhomme-richar...ing/12520/?a=f

[...]

This "energy" is all important, because without said energy you got
nothing to work with anything else.

This also needs to be clean energy that's affordable, because it's of
little use if the byproduct and any related process as to obtaining,
storing and using whatever energy is toxic, lethal or way too spendy.

Supposedly you have had multiple solutions for providing this energy,
and DoE plus other Big Energy cabals haven't been interested in
promoting any of them.

So, what's the great all-knowing Mook plan of inaction, this time
around?

~ BG
Old November 7th 10, 10:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

(1) energy
This "energy" is all important, because without said energy you got
nothing to work with anything else.

This also needs to be clean energy that's affordable, because it's of
little use if the byproduct and any related process as to obtaining,
storing and using whatever energy is toxic, lethal or way too spendy.

Supposedly you have had multiple solutions for providing this energy,
and DoE plus other Big Energy cabals haven't been interested in
promoting any of them.

So, what's the great all-knowing Mook plan of inaction, this time
around?

In other words; where exactly do we buy this Mook clean and
affordable energy, or look forward to getting from wherever?

~ BG

Old November 7th 10, 11:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

(2) water
(3) food
(4) wood
(5) metals

No big deal. Just make sure that the rich and powerful always get a
minimum of ten fold more than anyone else (regardless if they earned
their wealth or simply took it from others), and make darn certain
that hording, insider trading, mass consumption, wastefulness and
polluting are never illegal or even socially frowned upon.

I've told you before that I know of folks that consume 100 KW on
average as is, and certainly everything else of that rich and powerful
lifestyle is off the hook as well. So, bringing the other 99.9% of
humanity up to even 10% of those wealthy standards that you claim are
perfectly doable, as such is going to require a great deal of your
clean and cheap energy, plus loads of everything else on that list.

Are you suggesting that Earth has unlimited resources that everyone
can afford, and/or having plenty of time to burn, so to speak?

Since you have no intentions of ever directly leading us or even
setting up yourself as any example, what exactly is Mook suggesting
that we (the poor village idiots of Earth) change for the better that
hasn't been proposed at least a thousand times before (including by
yours truly)?

It seems no matters what the topic, you don't agree with anyone that's
still alive, so what's up with that?

How can you be the one and only smart guy on Earth?

You have not another soul in government, industry or social
superiority or equal that's backing anything you've proposed. Is it
because you smell funny, having been black-listed or put on their NO
FLY list because they think you're a terrorist or some kind of bipolar
social subversive?

How about you put your Mook green hydrogen on the open market, so that
we end-users of energy get to directly benefit and save the
environment at the same time. Or is that asking too much?

~ BG

Old November 8th 10, 01:02 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Brad,

As usual you gripe over nothing.

Free Markets engage in voluntary transactions, so, no one engages in a
transaction without both benefiting. The real problem is non-market
transactions. By providing a basis that gives everyone the ability to
consume the basics of life (homes, furnishings, clothing, food,
transport, information, etc.) at the same rate as millionaires do
today we establish a basis for a free and open market for the first
time in history. Under these conditions how profits are allocated
when efficiencies improve are determined by social norms.

I've described a process that creates $1 quadrillion in wealth each
year from existing under-used and under-valued assets.

Doing this generates assets worth at least 18x as much as all the
assets in the world today. How this vast increase is allocated is a
social decision. Giving it all to capital owners or governments,
especially if they have no use for it is not likely.

For the 10 million millionaires in the world today providing a 20%
annualized rate of return to existing capital owners over the 15 year
development period provides a 15.4x increase in their valuation -
paying a 20% return as income thereafter, gives a revenue rate.

Government have historically grown between (-2%) to +4% per year.
Providing governments a means to grow at a 10% annualized rate of
return over the 15 year development period provides a 4.2x increase in
their revenues - when added to existing revenues totals 5.2x what is
spent today.

So, the $40 trillion in assets among the world's 10 million
millionaires increase to $61.6 trillion. Paying 20% rates of return
to maintain these values costs $12.3 trillion per year of the total.

The $15 trillion per year collected by all governments everywhere
increases to $78 trillion per year. This leaves a balance of $919.7
trillion;

$1,000 trillion - generated in 2025

$12.3 trillion - collected by investors
$78.0 trillion - collected by governments

$919.7 trillion - remaining for distribution to buyers or
employees

This $919.7 trillion per year may be used to reduce the number of
hours and number of years worked by the principals involved by
increasing pay (efficiency bonus) or distributed as price reductions
to buyers or some combination.

The point is, with vast increases in productivity and wealth, from $70
trillion today to $1,000 trillion in 15 years the details of how
they're allocated doesn't really impact the standard of living that is
the basis of this wealth.
Old November 8th 10, 01:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

The data is there.

We know the best when we see it. We want it. Its about time we had
it.

We can all live at the level of today's millionaires without adverse
effects on our environment.

There is no physical reason stopping us. There is no political reason
stopping us. There is no technical or social reason stopping us.

The riches created by the process I've outlined may be allocated in
any way to enrich investors, governments, workers, buyers without
shortchanging anyone. The riches are created to such a degree that
all will be enriched beyond any dream of avarice they have.

The heart of this is;

ENERGY
We can collect sunlight and make hydrogen very cheaply using 800,000
sq km of desert lands displacing fossil fuels.

WATER
We can use a small portion of that hydrogen to desalinate sea water
very cheaply in hydrogen fueled flash evaporators.

FOOD
We can use that fresh water efficiently with 800,000 sq km of enclosed
agriculture in the desert to grow food efficiently.

WOOD
We can efficiently extract from 800,000 sq km of the Taiga forest all
the wood products we need to build all the homes and furnishings we
would want and to supply all the paper products required by 8 billion
millionaires.

METAL
We can efficiently extract from the deep sea trenches around the world
all the metals we need.

ASSEMBLY
We can support the production of all we need in remotely operated
hydrogen powered factories and refineries located deep in the
deserts.

TRANSPORT
We can move all the material we need with hydrogen lift/hydrogen fuel
neutral buoyancy UAVs.

LOGISTICS
With all these capabilities we know precisely how to fashion the very
things that are in highest demand. Because we know what the richest
of us buy - in gory detail. The designs to fabricate all in precise
detail exists. From that the meterial and energy needs are well
defined.

There is really nothing stopping us.

WHAT WE HAVE DONE
For a species that spent $15 trillion since 1960 on devilishly clever
weapons of mass destruction and raised armies of billions of people to
fight one another to the death, we have the means and the capacity to
create clever machinery of living and organize productive armies to
fulfill our every need.

FIRST PASS AT ITEMS TO MARKET
Here is a brief sampling of what we know how to build - and can build
in massive quantity;

Homes
http://www.veranda.com/room-decorati...kson-hole-home
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h...niston_article

Transport
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/bbj/

Furnishings
http://www.studiobhome.com/#/home
http://www.sarasotacollection.com/

Clothing
http://www.calvinklein.com/home/index.jsp
http://www.ralphlauren.com/home/index.jsp?direct

Foods
http://www.bobbyflay.com/
http://www.barefootcontessa.com/

Accessories
http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Defa...&hppromo=SSLV2

Medicine
http://www.mayoclinic.org/
http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/

Education
http://www.stanford.edu/
http://www.mit.edu/
http://www.cam.ac.uk/

WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT - WE WANT THE BEST - ITS ABOUT TIME WE ORGANIZED
OUR AFFAIRS TO OBTAIN IT TODAY.

Nothing is static. That's why we develop systems capable of agile
response to changes using market driven mechanisms.
Old November 8th 10, 02:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

Earth as a planet means Earth treated as a single entity of production
and consumption. Which stands in marked contrast to treating Earth as
a divided and fractious collection of 266 nations each on their own
geopolitical position defined by their access or not to resources and
defined by their ability to trick, cajole or force others to hand over
what they need at the expense of the rest.

It is clear that despite well defined limits and options we have not
made good decisions related to the development of energy resources on
this planet.

It is likely we have not made good decisions related to the
development of other primary resources as well.

So, its worth thinking of a goal and determining if this goal is at
all feasible!

It turns out that it may be!

8 billion millionaires is one place to start. Its a well defined
target. We find that to achieve this goal we need vastly more than is
currently being produced in terms of food, energy, wood, metals, and
so on.

When, we look at what the entire planet has to offer we find that we
have enough - surprisingly.

In the end, we look at the Earth as we might look at a space colony -
and we find that we have plenty of everything to go around - if we
trouble ourselves to invest in the most productive infrastructure
possible and apply it as broadly as possible leaving no one out.

When we do this we find that approximately 800,000 sq km of solar
collectors, 800,000 sq km of green houses in the desert, a few large
water works programs, and careful management of 800,000 sq km of Taiga
forest, combined with the development of a yet to be determined number
of deep sea trenches - connected together with space based
communications, space based navigation, space based sensing, and a
network of hydrogen filled hydrogen fueled UAV - creates a system that
achieves the initial target of 8 billion millionaires.

From the productivity of this asset we can see how our economy might
adopt it as a private public partnership - allocating what Ford calls
efficiency bonuses to workers, management, investors, government, and
buyers alike.
Old November 8th 10, 02:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

There are about 10,000 large shipping vessels that carry a total of
1.1 billion dead weight tons. This is about 110,000 tons each. At
$200 million each this is a total infrastructure cost of $22
trillion. These deliver 15 billion tons of cargo per year taking 45
days to cycle.

We are contemplating 16 million airships carrying 40 tons each - 0.64
billion dead weight tons - having a cycle time of 2.25 days delivering
delivering 140 billion tons of cargo per year - with far greater
flexibility than is possible with sea going ships. If the same $22
trillion is allocated to these 16 million airships, we have a target
cost of $1.375 million per ship - in these quantities.
Old November 8th 10, 03:42 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Nov 7, 4:02*pm, William Mook wrote:
[...]

First off, I totally agree with your "The First Step in Creating a
Space Age - Treat Earth as a Planet".

Secondly, I'd love to help but, it seems nothing that I or anyone else
has to offer is up to your standards. Unlike yourself, I can’t print
my own wealth on whatever national currency that's least expecting to
be snookered.

There's no doubt that a world of only wealthy individuals is what Mook
requires. Good luck with pulling that off with your “free markets”
that are supposedly not rigged or insider traded for profit-taking at
the expense and demise of others plus added global inflation that you
see nothing wrong with.

~ BG
Old November 8th 10, 03:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Homeshttp://www.veranda.com/room-decorating/barbara-barry-jackson-hole-homehttp://www.architecturaldigest.com/homes/features/2010/03/jennifer_an...

Accessorieshttp://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Default.aspx?mcat=148210&hppromo=SSLV2

Medicinehttp://www.mayoclinic.org/http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/

Educationhttp://www.stanford.edu/http://www.mit.edu/http://www.cam.ac.uk/

WE KNOW WHAT WE WANT - WE WANT THE BEST - ITS ABOUT TIME WE ORGANIZED
OUR AFFAIRS TO OBTAIN IT TODAY.

Nothing is static. *That's why we develop systems capable of agile
response to changes using market driven mechanisms.

Yes, the loads of terrific data, and your "Nothing is static". Good
for you and other wealthy individuals that never have to worry about
the cost of living or fret about the decades of delays for any
tangible good to materialize.

You should be a motivational speaker for those individuals that are
already wealthy and only want to take lots more and living large by
investing less, and heaven forbid never pay any kind of excise or
other tax to support national and local infrastructure.

~ BG