Solar Power Satellite Concept

Old August 8th 10, 02:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy
American

Default Solar Power Satellite Concept

"William Mook" wrote in message

I have developed a system that masses 600+ tonnes and is lofted into
orbit by a reusable vehicle derived from our experience with the
External Tank only.

: Instead of building a new heavy-lift, what needs to be
: researched is a solar powered laser power system.

What's keeping "instead" from creating free markets? IMO, it's
not a choice of "this" or "that" technology - it's not even about
creating cheaper forms of energy with replacement "solar"
(although Mook's cell industry expansion using frequencies
beamed into collectors seems plausible - Most space
enthusiasts talk about freeing up the market in order to allow
competition, and thus expansion of the free markets into space,
and IMHO the best incentive to "go orbital" would be for cheap
and abundant energy - Mook and I, at least agree on this.

: Then the mile size pv satellites wouldn't be needed, just
: a mirror a few hundred feet across. Also the mirror could
: be in geo, then laser to the power to low orbit relay stations
: that microwave it to the ground in the usual way.

Who's to say that China or any other "anti-capitalist" regime
won't bank on the prospect that it won't take too much for
those rascally republicans to convert your "mirror laser" to
star wars technology? In that case, we'd have an open door
policy for the military to immediately slate the weapon
potential to backup technology.

In that case, it won't ever get funded...

: "Solar light pumped laser and cooling method"

: "Moreover, the solar light pumped laser is capable of being
: light weighted and efficiently reducing an entropy of the
: renewable energy."

Sounds great on paper, but do we need a demonstration
that only the rich can afford? Naah, G.E. et al. have already
been bought off by the cronies in Washington...

:
http://www.freshpatents.com/Solar-li...d-cooling-meth...

It's all in the lift technology that gets it there to make it
more affordable....

The satellite consists of a 5.2 km diameter inflatable concentrator.
This concentrator focuses sunlight on to a 125 m diameter CPV/E
array. This array beams IR laser energy at 900 nm to 8,000 receivers
across the visible face of the Earth. Each beam generates 1.25 MW
the 22 m diameter receiver using silicon within a water filled lens
array. A total of 10,000 MW.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/35439593/S...-Satellite-GEO

At $0.042 per kWh each satellite generates $300 million per month in
revenues. Four satellites, including the launcher fleet and
operations

: Space Solar Power could fill markets that no other source
: of electricity can. They say the reason India still has to import
: food is a quarter of all their crops are ruined for a lack
: of refrigeration (electricity). Combine that with the incredibly
: ...small costs.. of the receiving equipment on the ground, then
: rural electrification and Space Solar Power are a marriage
: made in heaven. Same goes for disasters and military uses.

I had a relative who worked for a company that was interested
in subbing the building of a gas plant and shipping port near
Bhopal, India, about 10 years ago. The idea could have
generated billions of dollars profit for the nation's economy
if started on time.

However, the different governmental entities over there all had
to agree together how the project was going to be completed,
and nothing was ever accomplished, mainly because there
was a general hatred for free market entrepreneurialism.

If a project like this were to become part of their culture over
there, it would have to become entirely owned by the
government, which is ludicrous to say the least. Even
*their* government has no business controlling what is
supposed to create "the most energy relief for the
most people". Those in their government would take it
for themselves, and tensions throughout India and
Pakistan would continue to escalate.

: Space Solar Power can charge whatever they need to .
: charge. They don't have to compete with anyone.

Makes life a whole lot easier for those in complete control
of the outcome.

American

"Man should be either treated generously or destroyed,
because they take revenge for slight injuries - for heavy
ones they cannot."

- N. Machiavelli
Old August 9th 10, 10:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 8/9/2010 5:53 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:
LOLZ. Thanks for making my day. The retractable wing ET derived stage
looks to be completely unworkable. How in the heck are those wings
supposed to fold into the LH2 tank and the intertank? You've got a
horrible interferance problem here, unless you're using sci-fi
Transformers technology.

This is about the only way I saw to do that folding wing concept that
made any sense:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/strbaik.htm
The wing pivots ninety degrees at its midpoint to lie atop the booster
tankage:http://www.russianspaceweb.com/baikal.html
Simple, and no internal tankage volume taken up by the wing in its
retracted position.
Okay, so maybe the thing does look like a winged penis...advertising
space on it could be sold to advertise condoms or something.

pat

Old August 9th 10, 10:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article J4GdnQ-TjILV2_
hdakotatelephone,
says...

This is about the only way I saw to do that folding wing concept that
made any sense:
http://www.buran.ru/htm/strbaik.htm
The wing pivots ninety degrees at its midpoint to lie atop the booster
tankage:http://www.russianspaceweb.com/baikal.html
Simple, and no internal tankage volume taken up by the wing in its
retracted position.
Okay, so maybe the thing does look like a winged penis...advertising
space on it could be sold to advertise condoms or something.

I swear this method was used on a cool Estes boost glider. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/EST-Scissor-wi.../dp/B0007U9MES

I believe this was based on a NASA research plane:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/h...AD1/index.html

I guess it's not exactly the same as what you'd need for a recoverable
booster, but perhaps some of the aerodynamic data would still prove
useful.

Jeff
--
The only decision you'll have to make is
Who goes in after the snake in the morning?
Old August 11th 10, 02:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 8/9/2010 1:35 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

I swear this method was used on a cool Estes boost glider. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/EST-Scissor-wi.../dp/B0007U9MES

That's why that thing looked familiar! Estes should have sued them.

Pat
Old August 11th 10, 02:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article
tatelephone,
says...

On 8/9/2010 1:35 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:

I swear this method was used on a cool Estes boost glider. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/EST-Scissor-wi.../dp/B0007U9MES

That's why that thing looked familiar! Estes should have sued them.

LOL.

Jeff
Old August 12th 10, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 8/11/2010 5:20 AM, Jeff Findley wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/EST-Scissor-wi.../dp/B0007U9MES

That's why that thing looked familiar! Estes should have sued them.

LOL.

I actually checked the patents to see if Estes had patented the design,
but couldn't find any patent for that particular rocket.

Pat
Old August 16th 10, 06:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Aug 7, 5:44*pm, "Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)"
wrote:

Mook simply wears out keyboards.

I go away for a few years, check back in and what do I see... the same
crackpots touting thier undeniable genius.

Sigh.
Old August 16th 10, 06:24 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

wrote:
Mook simply wears out keyboards.

I go away for a few years, check back in and what do I see... the same
crackpots touting thier undeniable genius.

Sigh.

And yet still you have no genius whatsoever. Go figure.

~ BG
Old August 22nd 10, 04:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
William Mook[_2_]

On Aug 7, 7:08*pm, Brad Guth wrote:
On Aug 7, 9:59*am, Jim Davis wrote:

William Mook wrote:
What kind of reception did it receive when you presented it at
this year's International Space Development Conference/Space
Investment Summit in Chicago this past May? They had a two day
Space Solar Power Symposium this year.
I didn't present.

Any particular reason why not? Surely you would have received much
more useful feedback there than you could expect here?

Jim Davis

Mook is only a good talker, not a team doer or much less an actual
leader.

His feedback needs are more intended as mind teasers and diversions
than anything else. *If I were running NASA/DARPA, I'm not sure if I
could safely fit William Mook into any one of our think tanks, because
he'd always insist upon running the whole show and doing everything
extremely large.

*~ BG

Jim, I wasn't asked to present anything. If I were asked, I would
certainly have presented something.

Brad, as usual, what you say makes no sense on so many levels, its
useless to respond to what you think you said. I will say however,
most large container ships and tankers top 100,000 tons. My External
Tank derived RLV lifts 695 tons into LEO. That's not extremely large
by any stretch of the imagination. It is just large enough to get the
job done economically. The $44 billion program I have outlined
elsewhere will return a value of $275 billion the day it is switched
on by selling energy at $0.06 per kWh anywhere on the world.