Eclipse Question

Old November 9th 03, 05:20 AM
Velovich03

Default Eclipse Question

I was fortunate to see this evening's lunar eclipse. I noticed, when it
was 3/4 dark that I could see a dim orange glow that was in the shadow region.
I could make out the rim of the darkened disk. What is this? Where did that
glow come from?

TIA!

Old November 10th 03, 02:22 AM
Marc 182

In article , velovich03
@aol.com says...
I was fortunate to see this evening's lunar eclipse. I noticed, when it
was 3/4 dark that I could see a dim orange glow that was in the shadow region.
I could make out the rim of the darkened disk. What is this? Where did that
glow come from?

Spooky isn't it! What you were seeing was the glow from the sunsets and
sunrises, all of them, occurring around the entire planet Earth at that
moment.

Think about it geometrically. For the Earth's shadow to eclipse the
moon, from the perspective of someone on the moon, the sun is moving
behind the earth creating a solar eclipse. As the solar eclipse goes to
totality the observer on the moon would see an orange ring around the
entire Earth caused by sun light passing through our think atmosphere.

Sad that no human has ever actually seen that.

Marc
Old November 10th 03, 03:00 AM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Velovich03 wrote:
I was fortunate to see this evening's lunar eclipse. I noticed, when it
was 3/4 dark that I could see a dim orange glow that was in the shadow region.
I could make out the rim of the darkened disk. What is this? Where did that
glow come from?

If you were on the Moon during totality, you'd see Earth not as a black
disk, but as a black disk with a red ring around it. Some sunlight,
mostly the longer (redder) wavelengths, reaches the Moon by scattering in
the atmosphere around the rim of Earth. So the Moon is still faintly
illuminated with reddish light even during total eclipse.
--
MOST launched 30 June; first light, 29 July; 5arcsec | Henry Spencer
pointing, 10 Sept; first science, early Oct; all well. |
Old November 11th 03, 08:40 PM
Velovich03

Thanks to all that answered my question. I'd never seen that glow befoe and it
especially startling seeing it during an eclipse.

Thanks again!