Secret of Nuclear Fragmentation Rocket Thrust

Old November 4th 10, 04:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Pat Flannery

Default Secret of Nuclear Fragmentation Rocket Thrust

On 11/3/2010 11:57 PM, Damon Hill wrote:
As ever, Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

Now, let me get this straight; first we make a whole bunch of Elvis
Presley/Ann-Margret 45 RPM records featuring songs from the movie "Viva
Los Alamos"* out of U-235 and stick them in a nuclear jukebox, and then...

*EP: "I'll tell you just what we're going to do, out of this one little
atom we're going to make two...when I saw you in that bikini I just
about blew...gone fission...gone fission."
AM: "Plutonium is hot, but not as hot as you...you'll get me to yield
before you're through...gone fission, gone fission."

Pat
Old November 5th 10, 02:10 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

On 11/3/2010 11:57 PM, Damon Hill wrote:
As ever, Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

Now, let me get this straight; first we make a whole bunch of Elvis
Presley/Ann-Margret 45 RPM records featuring songs from the movie
"Viva Los Alamos"* out of U-235 and stick them in a nuclear jukebox,
and then...

*EP: "I'll tell you just what we're going to do, out of this one
little atom we're going to make two...when I saw you in that bikini I
just about blew...gone fission...gone fission."
AM: "Plutonium is hot, but not as hot as you...you'll get me to yield
before you're through...gone fission, gone fission."

Heh, you're right; I thought that design looked like a juke
box record changer. Remember that old tune?

o/~ The music goes round and round
and it comes out here o/~

Cool concept; I wonder what the power requirements for the magnetics
would be, and how much thrust it'd generate. Probably like an
ion drive. I recall a polomium isotope being proposed for this
application but this is the first time I actually understood how
it was supposed to work.

1 million second Isp ain't shabby.

--Damon

Old November 5th 10, 05:50 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Pat Flannery

On 11/4/2010 5:10 PM, Damon Hill wrote:

Cool concept; I wonder what the power requirements for the magnetics
would be, and how much thrust it'd generate. Probably like an
ion drive. I recall a polomium isotope being proposed for this
application but this is the first time I actually understood how
it was supposed to work.

1 million second Isp ain't shabby.

I sure wouldn't want to be standing behind the exhaust nozzle of that
thing, considering what's going to be flying out of it.
Scott Lowther is working on a new model kit of the Vought SLAM
intercontinental nuclear-powered cruise missile at the moment BTW:
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=7587
Coolest thing he ever did is still the Orion nuclear-pulse Space Battleship:
http://fantastic-plastic.com/Project...leshipPage.htm
_love_ the destroyer gun turrets; just fukin' kneel!
I wouldn't mind having one of those about three feet long hanging from
the ceiling.

Pat

Old November 5th 10, 03:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Frogwatch[_2_]

On Nov 5, 12:50*am, Pat Flannery wrote:
[...]

The dusty reactor concept for the fission fragment rocket is
interesting (mostly cuz my thesis was on particle charging in dusty
plasmas). However, I propose a variation that could not easily get
too hot and might make the entire thing simpler..........A Thorium
based "energy amplifier" fission fragment rocket where we use a high
energy proton beam to start the reaction. It never goes critical so
heat loading can be more easily controlled. Power level is controlled
by the flux of protons from the beam. Power for the beam is produced
by the "energy amplifier" when the charged fission fragments pass thru
coils on their way to produce exhaust.
Old November 6th 10, 06:08 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Damon Hill[_4_]

Frogwatch wrote in
:

[...]

Apparently electricity generation is not only possible this way, but
very, very efficient. Vastly more so than by thermodynamic methods.
A thorium fuel cycle looks extremely attractive.

--Damon
Old November 6th 10, 04:11 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.physics,alt.politics
Pat Flannery

On 11/5/2010 9:08 PM, Damon Hill wrote:

Apparently electricity generation is not only possible this way, but
very, very efficient. Vastly more so than by thermodynamic methods.
A thorium fuel cycle looks extremely attractive.

As long as we are discussing strange fission engine designs, Scott
Lowther has a three-part article on the "nuclear lightbulb" engine
design on his blog:
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=6542
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=6604
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=6694