SpaceX has plans--BIG plans

Old August 13th 10, 05:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Default SpaceX has plans--BIG plans

In sci.space.history Quadibloc wrote:
On Aug 12, 1:05?am, Pat Flannery wrote:

This sounds great till the first EMP-generating nuclear detonation
destroys the communications link between the interceptors and their C&C
by disrupting the ionosphere.

At least it wouldn't have fried the computers. The AN/FSQ-7 was built
from vacuum tubes, after all.

Even vacuum tubes have their limits don't they?

rick jones

Reminds me of:

Since we have developed a fully-automated vehicle, all we seek from
the occupants in the capsule, you see, is data.

The so-called, uh--astronaut would merely be a redundant component,
ja?

http://www.angelfire.com/movies/clos...ghtstuff-s.txt
Old August 14th 10, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
dakotatelephone:

On 8/13/2010 8:57 AM, Rick Jones wrote:
In sci.space.history wrote:
On Aug 12, 1:05?am, Pat wrote:

This sounds great till the first EMP-generating nuclear detonation
destroys the communications link between the interceptors and their
C&C by disrupting the ionosphere.

At least it wouldn't have fried the computers. The AN/FSQ-7 was
built from vacuum tubes, after all.

Even vacuum tubes have their limits don't they?

I wouldn't worry about the vacuum tubes as I would the big electrical
pulses coming down the electrical cables hooking all the equipment
together as it acted like an antenna.
At least on the Minuteman silos, they were concerned about phone lines
enough that they installed EMP arrestors that relied on neon tubes to
shut things down a lot faster than standard lightning arrestors could.
A friend of mine has one of these surplus EMP arrestor phone panels
installed in his house that he got when they were shutting a silo down
under SALT.

Still use those gas discharge tubes where MOVs aren't hefty enough or
long-lived enough. They can absorb a pretty good jolt, repeatedly.

--Damon

Old August 14th 10, 03:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

In sci.space.history wrote:
On Aug 12, 1:05?am, Pat wrote:

[...]

Pat

Next plans for AMSAT: P3E and P5A Jim Kingdon Space Science Misc 2 October 5th 04 07:20 AM
New plans not too dissimilar to SEI? Steen Eiler Jørgensen Policy 10 January 21st 04 07:38 PM
Moon plans Jim Kingdon Space Science Misc 0 January 15th 04 12:03 AM
MIR plans Nicolas Deault Space Station 6 November 26th 03 06:50 AM
New vehicle from old plans? gene Space Shuttle 19 September 12th 03 03:50 PM