Full phase Earth from the lunar surface?

Old May 20th 14, 02:36 AM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Default Full phase Earth from the lunar surface?

Dear Barry Schwarz:

On Monday, May 19, 2014 5:51:19 PM UTC-7, Barry Schwarz wrote:
Some have posited that the apparent increase in size when
the moon is near the horizon is due to atmospheric
refraction.

This is incorrect.

Others have posted that this is not the case. I have no
idea which is correct but -

Don't need to go to the Moon for that determination. Take a yard or meter stick, and a small metal disk (say a US quarter). Place the stick below your eye, aimed towards the Moon, note the distance the disk needs to be placed to just barely see the Moon around the disk. Repeat when the Moon is near the horizon, and then higher. It will be the same distance in all cases..

David A. Smith
Old May 20th 14, 04:50 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro,sci.physics,rec.arts.sf.science
Robert Clark[_4_]

Nice description here of the illusion:

Why does the moon look so much bigger when it is near the horizon?
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question491.htm

Notice the image on this page shows such size illusions can persist
even in images.

A nice video description of the illusion:

The moon illusion - Andrew Vanden Heuvel.
http://ed.ted.com/lessons/the-moon-i...-vanden-heuvel

And this video shows optical illusions don't have to be viewed "live".
They can persist even in videos and photographs:

Ramachandran - Ames room illusion explained.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttd0YjXF0no

Bob Clark

"Robert Clark" wrote in message ...

The full Moon sometimes looks huge when it's low on the horizon. I was
wondering if the same effect would occur on the Moon if we saw a full phase
Earth from the lunar surface.
There haven't been many pictures taken from the surface of the Moon that
show the Earth. Here's one:

http://moonpans.com/prints/CernanEarth.jpg

The Earth can look pretty large low on the horizon from lunar orbit even
when not at full phase as shown by this Apollo 11 image taken from orbit:

http://www.astronautix.com/graphics/0/10075247.jpg

Are there images taken from the lunar surface either by robots or manned
missions that show the Earth rise at or close to full phase?

Nice article by Dr. Pauls Spudis:

Earth Rising.
Earth as seen from the Moon is always in the same place – true or false? It
depends.
By Paul D. Spudis
May 15, 2014
Quote:
Thus, there are places on the Moon from which we can stand and
contemplate the sheer beauty and magnificence of a slowly rising Earth.
Given the sea change in global perspective provided by the famous Earthrise
picture taken by the Apollo 8 crew almost fifty years ago, what societal
impacts will occur when a human being stands on the lunar surface and
watches the Earth slowly rise above the horizon? I suspect that a similar
shift in planetary perspective will occur. If history is any guide, such a
shift will have profound psychological and political implications – both
positive and negative – in our reach for the stars.
http://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pla...#ixzz321FRfV82

I wonder if a Google Lunar X-Prize entrant could land at one of the
locations where Earthrise would be visible.

Bob Clark