Shuttle ET crack

Old November 8th 10, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default Shuttle ET crack

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 17:34:36 +0100, Anthony Frost
wrote:

Nope, they're built on Just In Time delivery schedules. The Shuttle
crew (or some subset of the ten people in orbit) will just have to
wait it out.

As has been stated following the bump the next Soyuz got during
transport from the factory to Baikonour, there's a spare.

Cool. Hadn't heard that.

Brian
Old November 8th 10, 07:04 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones[_3_]

Peter Stickney wrote:
On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 17:42:08 -0800, Pat Flannery wrote:

It might be time to rethink where we launch rockets from. We do
have a lot of islands out in the Pacific with better average
weather that could be turned into launch centers, the largest being
Hawaii.

Uhm, Pat, loot at the stats of where the highest rainfall is.
Any tropical location with a coastline will have the same weather
that Florida gets.

Although, the weather on any given Hawai'ian island is not uniform.
Some definitely have wet and dry sides.

rick jones
Old November 8th 10, 07:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:34:49 -0600, Glen Overby
wrote:

It might be time to rethink where we launch rockets from.

This is not a technical problem, it is a political one. The space coast is
too tied to the NASA jobs to ever let that happen.

It's a cost problem. Starting over somewhere else is prohibitively
expensive. That is why they didn't move during the Apollo to Shuttle
transition, even though Florida was far less politically influential
at that time.

Brian
Old November 8th 10, 07:07 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 18:58:47 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

There are many who believe that global warming - no matter what the cause -

I'm pretty sure that our species is the cause,

I think it is natural, but we have made it much worse than it
otherwise would have been.

Brian
Old November 8th 10, 07:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 17:42:08 -0800, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Many years back, I read the area around the Cape has more thunderstorms
on average per year than any other place in the US.
It might be time to rethink where we launch rockets from.
We do have a lot of islands out in the Pacific with better average
weather that could be turned into launch centers, the largest being Hawaii.

Hawaii was considered for Shuttle after Apollo. Too expensive, mainly
in logistical support from stateside. It is probably priced out of
consideration by now, and the locals whine and complain about the
telscopes infringing on their sacred land already. Kwajalein hasn't
exactly been a picnic for SpaceX, logistically speaking. The seafaring
SeaLaunch went bankrupt.

No, I think it is better to just design your vehicle and your launch
system to be robust enough for the most practical compromise between
weather, security, orbital mechanics, and ease of access and that is
Florida, which is why it was chosen in the first place (the land being
cheap in that pre-Air Conditioning, pre-Mosquito Control, pre-Mickey
Mouse era just made it a no-brainer.)

Brian
Old November 8th 10, 07:28 PM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:38:42 -0600, Glen Overby
wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake, Pat. I'll send you $5 toward purchasing a
backbone.

The problem is our collective backbones, and our flight to safety: people in
general are unwilling to take risks and are unwilling to let others take
risks.

The latter is more of a problem than the former.

Bob is the Poster Boy of that "100% safe or don't go" irrational
behavior, I'm just surprised Pat has contracted it.

Brian
Old November 8th 10, 08:24 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_1172_]

wrote:

Oh for heaven's sake, Pat. I'll send you $5 toward purchasing a
backbone.

The problem is our collective backbones, and our flight to safety:
people in general are unwilling to take risks and are unwilling to
let others take risks.

The latter is more of a problem than the former.

Bob is the Poster Boy of that "100% safe or don't go" irrational
behavior, I'm just surprised Pat has contracted it.

It's apparently mutated into the "Who cares if it's safe, we need the JOBS,
keep flying." in Bob.

Brian

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old November 8th 10, 11:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

On Nov 8, 3:40*pm, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
says...

Brian Thorn wrote:
Bob is the Poster Boy of that "100% safe or don't go" irrational
behavior, I'm just surprised Pat has contracted it.

It's apparently mutated into the "Who cares if it's safe, we need the JOBS,
keep flying." in Bob.

The best shuttle program in Bob's mind would be one that spends enough
money so that no one loses their job, but also one that never flies so
there is zero chance of another fatality during flight.

Jeff
--
42

very funny.

but is it truly a good idea to have the US TOTALLY DEPENDENT on
russia for acess to ISS?

Could be a bad day that somhow grounds soyuz, or a political UH OH
that makes depending on russia a royally bad idea.....

either way we can have crew stranded at station or unable to get to
station....

but no matter i the same arguments were used before columbia, when I
asked about a shuttle stuck at station. Wasb told its impossible, and
called chicken little.

If your going to fly in space you need a robust primary system with
backups.

Like putting a capsule on a expendable. Thats GREAT, but far better if
there are two different boosters available so a booster system doesnt
ground everything.

none of this matters at all the repubicans and tea party will likely
take all of man in space out of nasa.. many will applaude shutting
down nasas manned program.......
Old November 9th 10, 12:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Val Kraut

but is it truly a good idea to have the US TOTALLY DEPENDENT on
russia for acess to ISS?

To understand that you have to complete the following sentence.

Oh my God the US has lost access to the ISS - this means that

Would be a good contest - come up with the best meaningful phrase.