Holmes and CDC

Old October 25th 07, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
I.N. Galidakis

Default Holmes and CDC

Is there any reason why CDC doesn't load 17P Holmes?

I tried updating the comet data from both the file menu and from the data
dialog, but this comet is not listed.

What gives?

Thanks much,
--
I.N. Galidakis

Old October 25th 07, 11:06 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mark S.

I.N. Galidakis wrote:
Is there any reason why CDC doesn't load 17P Holmes?

I tried updating the comet data from both the file menu and from the data
dialog, but this comet is not listed.

What gives?

Thanks much,

On both the Windows and Linux versions of CDC, I update via internet
and the comet is there. On the search dialog I select comet and type in
the number '17' and push filter and holmes show up right then. As of
yesterday the magnitude was still listed as being very very faint so it
doesn't show up in the 'sky' until I select a tiny veiwing angle or
select 'more stars' several times. But it does show the comet right
where I saw it yesterday.

Good luck.
Old October 25th 07, 11:14 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
I.N. Galidakis

Mark S. wrote:
I.N. Galidakis wrote:
Is there any reason why CDC doesn't load 17P Holmes?

I tried updating the comet data from both the file menu and from the
data dialog, but this comet is not listed.

What gives?

Thanks much,

On both the Windows and Linux versions of CDC, I update via internet
and the comet is there. On the search dialog I select comet and type
in the number '17' and push filter and holmes show up right then. As
of yesterday the magnitude was still listed as being very very faint
so it doesn't show up in the 'sky' until I select a tiny veiwing
angle or select 'more stars' several times. But it does show the
comet right where I saw it yesterday.

Thanks. After I update via the internet, the only option on the search box for
"comets" is something like "P/2007 U2 (LINEAR-NEAT)". Is this it? No other
comets visible from my nightime Athens sky.

On the settings dialog, 14 more comets are available, but they have other names.

Good luck.

--
I.N. Galidakis

Old October 26th 07, 02:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
JimD

In most astro software 17P Holmes will already be there, so that may
be why
they don't upload orbital elements. In my old Guide software it won't
show
unless you display comets down to mag 17.
The magnitude is, of course, unpredictable in this case, so I don't
expect anyone
is going to be forecasting that correctly.

Anyway, currently it is still brighter than delta Persei, probably
about 2.5 mag,
similar to yesterday, but today I could see the fuzziness compared to
stars nearby
in small 10X26 binos. Its position hasn't noticeably changed in the
last 24 hours.

Old October 26th 07, 05:29 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
LaFouine

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 01:14:40 +0300, "I.N. Galidakis"
wrote:

Mark S. wrote:
I.N. Galidakis wrote:
[...]

Hi,

You have to select all the comet you want to display in :
Config- Catalogu & Object Option - Comet

Select them with a "Ctrl" Clic or "Shift Ctrl" clic

When a comet is selected it would be searchable.

Two more things :
- Of course the comet magnitude will not be accurate since the
outburst
- When you update the Comet.dat file with internet some
comet will be add or delete from the list so every time you update
you have to reselect the comet in the list.

@+
Old October 26th 07, 05:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

JimD wrote:
The magnitude is, of course, unpredictable in this case, so I don't
expect anyone is going to be forecasting that correctly.

As the OP pointed out my SkyTools does. This is because I take the time
to do my own analysis of comet magnitudes based on recent observations.
Everyone else simply uses the magnitude parameters published by the
IAU along with the orbit. These are often inaccurate even for comets
that are not undergoing an outburst. This is the primary reason that
people are disappointed when observing comets visually. They go to look
for a comet that is too faint to be seen, or miss one that they could
easily see.

A lot of people don't know that there is typically a comet or two
visible in a six-inch scope on any given evening. Tracking these down
regularly can be a lot of fun. I observe one or more comets just about
every time I go out. You don't need my software to know which comets
are visible--my comet chasing web site provides this information freely:

http://comets.skyhound.com

Also, regarding the Heaven's Above site, it's a terrific place to get
information about artificial satellites but it is the last place I'd
recommend for comet information. In addition to being slow on the
uptake their choices of which comets to highlight are poorly informed,
their orbits are not always updated in a timely manner, and they have a
history of keeping their comets listed long after they are visible in
amateur instruments, complete with little waving "new" flags.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

To reply take out your eye
Old October 28th 07, 07:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Robert Sheaffer

Any time you're having problems loading comet positions, just use RTGUI,
the free real-time astronomy program for Windows. It gets comet and
asteroid positions one-at-a-time, instead of trying to grab a whole
bunch. And it can use Skycharts to give you a chart of the area.

After you've installed the program and given it your location, just
click "Get Comet/Asteroid", then for the name enter"17P/Holmes". It will
download 60 days' postions, and give you rise and set times, transit
times, etc for the object.

http://www.rtgui.com

Robert

JimD wrote:

In most astro software 17P Holmes will already be there, so that may
be why
they don't upload orbital elements. In my old Guide software it won't
show
unless you display comets down to mag 17.
The magnitude is, of course, unpredictable in this case, so I don't
expect anyone
is going to be forecasting that correctly.

Anyway, currently it is still brighter than delta Persei, probably
about 2.5 mag,
similar to yesterday, but today I could see the fuzziness compared to
stars nearby
in small 10X26 binos. Its position hasn't noticeably changed in the
last 24 hours.

Comet Holmes - File 1 of 1 - Holmes.jpg (1/1) Skywise Astro Pictures 3 October 26th 07 05:25 AM
Comet Holmes 17/P William R. Mattil Amateur Astronomy 2 October 25th 07 03:56 PM
Comet Holmes Skywise Astro Pictures 1 October 25th 07 07:34 AM
Comet Holmes Skywise Astro Pictures 0 October 25th 07 07:31 AM
ASTRO: Holmes II J McBride Astro Pictures 2 October 25th 07 06:48 AM