Classic Urban Legend, Can some people extinguish streetlamps by means of their bodily emanations?

Old March 17th 06, 08:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Classic Urban Legend, Can some people extinguish streetlamps by means of their bodily emanations?

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

Matthew Ota

Old March 17th 06, 09:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Matthew Ota wrote:

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

Matthew Ota

What utter crap.
Old March 17th 06, 09:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Eric wrote:

What utter crap.

Did you read to the very end?

--
St. John
Malek's Law:
Old March 17th 06, 09:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Eric wrote:
Matthew Ota wrote:

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

Matthew Ota

What utter crap.

Exactly, and people have used bodily emanations to smear over light
sources,but its really ugly to watch and clean up after, disgusting
really and I question whether it's art.

I heard of an emanation event ocuring on a very hot electric luminare
that exploded. Kids, don't try this at home even though it makes a neat
science fair project.

In cold weather my mouth vapor or eyeball sweat can frost up an optic
in nothing flat if the sky has me hot and bothered. Maybe an whole body
vacuum cleaner suit, sucks away the humidity and grunge cloud as well
as the seeing and bugs.

what a world
dan

Old March 17th 06, 09:52 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 17 Mar 2006 12:54:03 -0800, "Matthew Ota"
wrote, in part:

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

If their bodily emanations can turn off streetlamps, perhaps they have
failed to maintain purity of essence. Or they just need to take a bath.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old March 17th 06, 11:00 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

I know many amateur astronomers have used lasers to shut off annoying
streetlamps, but this raises the interesting and amusing possibility of
following around one of these borderline nuts and using a laser to
actually drive them completely over the edge.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 17th 06, 11:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Chris L Peterson wrote:
I know many amateur astronomers have used lasers to shut off annoying
streetlamps, but this raises the interesting and amusing possibility of
following around one of these borderline nuts and using a laser to
actually drive them completely over the edge.

There are some of us who think that might already have been done.

--
St. John
"Protozoa are small, and bacteria are small, but viruses are smaller
Old March 18th 06, 01:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

Wishful thinking for amateur astronomers:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_047.html

I know many amateur astronomers have used lasers to shut off annoying
streetlamps, but this raises the interesting and amusing possibility of
following around one of these borderline nuts and using a laser to
actually drive them completely over the edge.

I've tried green and red lasers to no avail (to darken my yard, not
tormnent nut cases-not yet anyway). Any suggestions?

Personally, I'd like an Albus Dumbledore "Putter Outer", but this would
do in a pinch:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=7026&return=Y

Shawn
Old March 18th 06, 07:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:01:31 -0700, Shawn
sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:

I've tried green and red lasers to no avail (to darken my yard, not
tormnent nut cases-not yet anyway). Any suggestions?

Nope. I tried a red laser pointer on a streetlight in California a
couple of years ago, and it turned it off. The light came back on about
a minute after turning off the laser. So I know it works on at least
some types of lights. Where I live, it's over a mile to the nearest
outside light, 20 miles to the nearest small town with any lights, and
40 miles to the nearest city. So I haven't had to deal with this
particular problem.

Personally, I'd like an Albus Dumbledore "Putter Outer", but this would
do in a pinch:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=7026&return=Y

Kind of an expensive solution. A simple .22 should do the trick for a
lot less.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old March 18th 06, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:01:31 -0700, Shawn
sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:

I've tried green and red lasers to no avail (to darken my yard, not
tormnent nut cases-not yet anyway). Any suggestions?

Nope. I tried a red laser pointer on a streetlight in California a
couple of years ago, and it turned it off. The light came back on about
a minute after turning off the laser. So I know it works on at least
some types of lights. Where I live, it's over a mile to the nearest
outside light, 20 miles to the nearest small town with any lights, and
40 miles to the nearest city. So I haven't had to deal with this
particular problem.

I'll have to try the red laser again, maybe rig a holder for one.
Last new moon I was on the west side of Monarch pass, about 35 miles
from here. Very, very dark.
The local dark site: http://cleardarksky.com/c/StnBrCOkey.html?1
is pretty good too, but if I could get rid of the light behind my house
life would be good.

Personally, I'd like an Albus Dumbledore "Putter Outer", but this would
do in a pinch:
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...=7026&return=Y

Kind of an expensive solution. A simple .22 should do the trick for a
lot less.

I was kidding, $700 for a rifle that needs two shots to kill a bunny,
silly! I could take out the light in my alley with a slingshot, but it
would go back up in a few days.

Shawn