OT - question for Americans

Old July 3rd 08, 07:47 AM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

Default OT - question for Americans

When you have a technical problem with Microsoft software, do you get
transferred to a foreign call centre? I won't whinge about it here.

Old July 3rd 08, 08:18 AM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:7C_ak.16722$IK1.535
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

When you have a technical problem with Microsoft software, do you get
transferred to a foreign call centre? I won't whinge about it here.

I don't know about Microsoft, but Western Digital's apparently Indian
tech rep didn't know how to fix my problem (SATA II drive not recognized
on my older Socket A board--I discovered the fix on WD's site which was
to install a compatibility jumper). The call did not sound at all long
distance even with the satellite/fiber optic inherant delays.

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft outsourced much of its tech help.

--Damon

Old July 3rd 08, 09:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 02:18:09 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft outsourced much of its tech help.

....For home and small business customers, yes. For some medium-size
businesses, it depends on the size of the company and whether they've
bought a specific support contract. For larger companies to huge
corporations, they go to US-based call centers if they don't have a
specific tech support contact assigned to them. For all government
accounts - especially the DOD - the contracts in almost all cases
specify that tech support will be sourced within the continental US,
by native english speakers, and by tech reps specifically assigned to
deal with government tech calls.

....A few years ago Dell tried to up and move *all* of their tech
support to India - considering you can pay a towelhead $1.25/hr and
they can actually get fat off of that over in that part of the world,
you almost can't blame Kevin Rollins for making that jump. On a Sunday
morning, several DOD internal tech support and help desk managers
bypassed Rollins and called Michael Dell on a conference call at his
home, and informed him that if he did not immediately reverse this for
all government contracts - especially on grounds of national security
- then all contracts with Dell would be immediately terminated. Dell
called their bluff, and the next morning he found that they weren't
bluffing. By Wednesday they were directing all government accounts to
US-based techs.

I'd love to see every single company in the US do that with all tech
support situations, but if that happened the 11% of India that *is*
employed would be reduced to 1%...:-P

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old July 3rd 08, 09:23 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 06:47:31 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

When you have a technical problem with Microsoft software, do you get
transferred to a foreign call centre? I won't whinge about it here.

....Alan, are you currently having a problem?

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old July 3rd 08, 09:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

news
wrote:

When you have a technical problem with Microsoft software, do you get
transferred to a foreign call centre? I won't whinge about it here.

...Alan, are you currently having a problem?

You guessed? ;-\

IE7 - the "Command Bar" - all the icons I want to take out, keep coming
back. I've unlocked the tool bars; 'removed' the icons (print etc);
re-locked the tool bars; closed down IE7 and then re-opened it. The icons
are all still there. I'd rather get rid of the Command Bar altogether -
useless except for the 'star' (favourites) icon.

I called Microsoft. Defaulted to Malaysia (I could understand New Zealand,
Canada, the UK or hell, even Americans _try_ to speak English). I asked to
be put through to an Australian; that happened. The Australian said that
Sales Support (!!) would be more able to deal with such a minor issue and
put me through there. Naturally, Sales Support were surprised.

Back on hold.

Spoke to Malaysia again - apparently all tech support issues are dealt with
from there (Microsoft's web site says the number to call is 13 20 58 for
"Australan only" problems). I asked (demanded) to be put back in contact
with an Australian - I don't care if they're born here or not; people who
live in a country tend to speak that language better than someone from a
'foreign-language' country.

I gave up. The conversation ended with me swearing (I'm not known for that
on the phone, in public places etc) and using the 'F' word amongst others.
I'm so utterly frustrated.

Old July 3rd 08, 01:14 PM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
eyeball

On Jul 3, 3:18*am, Damon Hill wrote:
"Alan Erskine" wrote in news:7C_ak.16722$IK1.535
@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

When you have a technical problem with Microsoft software, do you get
transferred to a foreign call centre? *I won't whinge about it here.

I don't know about Microsoft, but Western Digital's apparently Indian
tech rep didn't know how to fix my problem (SATA II drive not recognized
on my older Socket A board--I discovered the fix on WD's site which was
to install a compatibility jumper). *The call did not sound at all long
distance even with the satellite/fiber optic inherant delays.

It wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft outsourced much of its tech help.

--Damon

Not mmicrosoft, and I don't use it myself, but a friend has Verizon.
I've seen her sit on the phone for hours talking to someone with a
horrendous accent from India. The actual talk was 15 minutes. The
other 45+ minutes were used up with "Huh?" and "Can you repeat that?"
Made me want to go get a slurpee
Old July 3rd 08, 03:02 PM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
kT

eyeball wrote:
[...]

Who is so dumb nowadays that they have to call technical support?
Old July 3rd 08, 04:10 PM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
eyeball

On Jul 3, 10:02*am, kT wrote:
eyeball wrote:
[...]

People that only give smart ass replies?
Sometimes things do break beyond the do it yourself stage. Can you fix
a problem at the phone company (or your ISP's server) from your easy
chair?
Old July 3rd 08, 04:13 PM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
kT

eyeball wrote:
On Jul 3, 10:02 am, kT wrote:
eyeball wrote:
[...]

I have never once called Charter, and I never intend to.

But yes, phone companies the world over often do call me for advice.

I'm a telecommunications engineer, get it?
Old July 3rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to alt.survival,sci.space.history
eyeball

On Jul 3, 11:13*am, kT wrote:
eyeball wrote:
On Jul 3, 10:02 am, kT wrote:
[...]