How about the SBIG ST-402ME?

Old October 30th 04, 04:21 AM
Brian Sturges

Default How about the SBIG ST-402ME?

This camera was announced some time ago and apparently will soon be ready
for shipping. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the overall value of
this model? I've been using the Cookbook camera (with liquid cooling),
which I built about four years ago- I take my gear outside the city to
observe/image; so I'd like something easier to use. The chip is only a bit
larger than the TC245, but that doesn't bother me too much as I have enjoyed
trying mosaics and I certainly can't afford a mega-pixel CCD. For $1,495 it
looks like a great buy to have a built-in filter wheel (normally a $995
add-on) and 85% QE! Is there something I'm missing, or should I jump at this
as I want to take very deep images on a budget and am not interested in CMOS
devices. I'm using a 10" f10 SCT with G-11 and f6.3 reducer. I did a search
on this model and did not come up with much message traffic. I also wonder
if the standard RGB filter set would be too much of a limitation? Perhaps
there are better filters available; and has CMY fallen out of favor? I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this.
Brian Sturges

Old November 1st 04, 05:36 AM
George Normandin

"Brian Sturges" wrote

This camera was announced some time ago and apparently will soon be ready
for shipping. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the overall value

of
this model? I've been using the Cookbook camera (with liquid

cooling).........

What do you use for guiding Brian? I guess if you have success with the
CookB you should have no problems with the new SBIG camera. The specs look
very good on it.

trying mosaics and I certainly can't afford a mega-pixel CCD. For $1,495

it
looks like a great buy to have a built-in filter wheel (normally a $995
add-on) and 85% QE! Is there something I'm missing, or should I jump at

this
as I want to take very deep images on a budget and am not interested in

CMOS
devices. I'm using a 10" f10 SCT with G-11 and f6.3 reducer. I did a

search
on this model and did not come up with much message traffic.

You can do TDI exposures with this camera for long strips that can be
combined into quite large images. other than that, I don't think there's
much to say about a un-released camera.

if the standard RGB filter set would be too much of a limitation? Perhaps
there are better filters available; and has CMY fallen out of favor? I'd
appreciate any thoughts on this.

I don't know of anyone doing CMY now. RGB works best. You just have to
make reasonably long exposures.

George Normandin

Old November 3rd 04, 12:22 AM
Brian Sturges

"George Normandin" wrote in message

"Brian Sturges" wrote

This camera was announced some time ago and apparently will soon be

ready
for shipping. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the overall value

of
this model? I've been using the Cookbook camera (with liquid

cooling).........

What do you use for guiding Brian? I guess if you have success with the
CookB you should have no problems with the new SBIG camera. The specs look
very good on it.
You can do TDI exposures with this camera for long strips that can be
combined into quite large images. other than that, I don't think there's
much to say about a un-released camera.
I don't know of anyone doing CMY now. RGB works best. You just have to
make reasonably long exposures.

George Normandin

Thanks for the comments, George. I haven't really decided what to do with
guiding yet. I've been making stacks of one minute integrations at a dark
observing site. I get so little good weather here in the midwest these days
that I'm still amazed at what I can do with stacking and haven't gotten past
that stage in imaging!
Brian

Old November 8th 04, 03:04 AM
George Normandin

"Brian Sturges" wrote

Thanks for the comments, George. I haven't really decided what to do with
guiding yet. I've been making stacks of one minute integrations at a dark
observing site. I get so little good weather here in the midwest these

days
that I'm still amazed at what I can do with stacking and haven't gotten

past
that stage in imaging!

Brian,

Actually I prefer combining 60 to 120 second exposures. I use an AO-7 at
times, but I don't find the down-load noise to be all that bad and there is
less chance of a plane or a wind gust messing up an exposure. If there is a
'glitch' it only impacts one image out of a group and the whole exposure is
not lost.

I've not tried TDI (aka drift scanning) but I plan on giving a try
sometime. I also have a 20-inch Dob that I plan on adding a GoTo system to
and I'd like to see what it does with TDI.

George Normandin

Questions SBIG AO-7 and Other Adaptive Optics - Long matt Amateur Astronomy 1 October 28th 04 01:53 AM
Program to Convert Image to SBIG Format matt Amateur Astronomy 6 May 23rd 04 06:56 AM
SBIG ST-7ME Evan Miller CCD Imaging 2 November 6th 03 09:36 PM
SBIG CCD camera Evan Miller Amateur Astronomy 6 November 5th 03 12:48 AM
Starlight-xpress Vs. SBIG Phil S. Amateur Astronomy 1 July 12th 03 03:29 AM