Noise Ninja custom noise print- worth the effort for stacked composite?

Old January 18th 05, 06:05 PM
Jason Sommers

Default Noise Ninja custom noise print- worth the effort for stacked composite?

I am an amateur astronomer and use a digicam to take pictures of the solar
system. I take up to 100 photos and then stack the photos into one to
reduce noise levels. However, sometimes a 100 photo composite isn't enough
for the amount of noise I get. I have Noise Ninja, but don't use it much
because I am never happy with the results as it seems to smooth the images
too much, washing out details. However, I have never created a custom noise
print for my camera, using the checkerboard pattern and a defocused shot.
My big question is: would a custom noise print created this way be worth the
effort and would the results be better than just the box sampling I do now
from the existing image? Also, I'm guessing that I would need to take 100
such samples since 100 images make up a composite, but not sure how to go
about it. I would think that each image would have to have noise reduction
before stacking for this to work and that's how I was going to do it. So,
yes, a lot of effort involved, but would the result be worth it?

Thanks,
Jason Sommers

Old January 19th 05, 07:29 PM

I think a google on Astro Imaging is in order here. The process of
getting every last ounce of signal out of digital sensors is a lot more
complicated that it appears at first brush. You end up having to remove
a) bias, b) flat field, c) pattern noise, and d) hot pixels on each
image individually, and then stack. This leaves you with Possion noise
(SQRT(signal)) and A/D quantization noise per image.

In addition, when I stack images, I blow the pixels up by 2X or 3X or
4X in order to be able to align the images to sub pixel accuracy, which
imporves the image detail when all done. This, of course, takes all the
emory my machines has, so use carefully; especially whith deep stacks.