PHOTO OF THE WEEK The No-Name Galaxy

Old July 2nd 03, 06:58 PM
Steve Willner

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK The No-Name Galaxy

In article ,
Adriano writes:
Everyone I know has always called it the "Needle". At least for the last
25 years.

Interesting. SIMBAD doesn't show any name for this galaxy, and I've
never heard it referred to by any name. Neither fact may mean very
much, though. The galaxy doesn't look much like a needle to me, at
least from the images. Anybody care to describe its visual
appearance?

I like David Knisely's suggestion "Berenice's Needle," or at least
Berenice's (something). NGC 891 is a similar edge-on galaxy.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old July 2nd 03, 09:20 PM
bwhiting

Personally, I'm going to start calling 4565 "Berenice's hair clip...
never heard that term before, and I like it...save "the Needle"
for...... NGC-100....supposedly the thinnest galaxy in the Universe.
(although I'll probably get ragged for that one).
FWIW
Clear Skies,
Tom Whiting

Old July 2nd 03, 10:19 PM
Morris Jones

I always heard NGC 4565 as "Berenice's hairpin" ... which makes a little more
sense. It's more of a pin than a clip.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones *
San Rafael, CA

http://www.whiteoaks.com
Old July 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
Odysseus

Morris Jones wrote:

I always heard NGC 4565 as "Berenice's hairpin" ... which makes a little more
sense. It's more of a pin than a clip.

That seems incongrous with the appearance of the galaxy; to me
"hairpin" suggests something U-shaped, as in a "hairpin turn".

--Odysseus