Open Univeristy Astronomy Courses

Old December 16th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Open Univeristy Astronomy Courses

I'm embarking on an OU Astronomy course in January and wondered if
anyone here had any experience of this ?

That aside, check out the details of this course

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01SXR208

A week in Mallorca, based at this observatory - cool !

http://www.oam.es/
Old December 16th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Interstellar OverDrive" wrote in message
I'm embarking on an OU Astronomy course in January and wondered if anyone
here had any experience of this ?

That aside, check out the details of this course

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01SXR208

A week in Mallorca, based at this observatory - cool !

http://www.oam.es/

Seems like a very interesting course -- enjoy!

Looking forward to reading your future posts about the experience!

Best,
Dan

Old December 16th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Seems like a very interesting course -- enjoy!

Looking forward to reading your future posts about the experience!

Well the course I am actually starting is this

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01S194

I'll save the week in Mallorca for a later date !
Old December 17th 05, 09:58 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Interstellar OverDrive" wrote in message
I'm embarking on an OU Astronomy course in January and wondered if anyone
here had any experience of this ?

Yes, I just finished S283 and had my exam result Thursday. Before that I did
S282 and S198 so I can now apply for a C58 (Cert APS). SXR208 looks fun but
not for me this year, I still have to finish S151 (maths) then bash on with
S207(60 point physics). Good luck with your courses, I thoroughly enjoyed
mine and the course materials are superb.
jc

Old December 17th 05, 03:12 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Yes, I just finished S283 and had my exam result Thursday. Before that I did
S282 and S198 so I can now apply for a C58 (Cert APS). SXR208 looks fun but

I'll have a look at those, it's good to know what is in the pipeline so
to speak. Looks like I can't start S282 until 2007 which is a bummer.
S198 looks defunct now. So looks like I will have to pick on something
else towards the C58.

not for me this year, I still have to finish S151 (maths) then bash on with
S207(60 point physics). Good luck with your courses, I thoroughly enjoyed

Hopefully I can skip those two as I have A levels in maths and physics,
I may need a refresher course though.

Looking forward to my first bit of correspondence from the OU, Christmas
post permitting !
Old December 17th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

John Bristow wrote:
In message ,
Interstellar OverDrive writes
Hopefully I can skip those two as I have A levels in maths and
physics, I may need a refresher course though.

If you are serious about studying physics with the Open University don't
even think about missing s207. I would suggest taking mst 209 ( I think
that is the latest course number) should also be on you list.

I was thinking of doing Astronomy, not physics, at the OU. Are you
saying there is a large amount of physics involved ? My point was that
as I have an A level in physics already, I may not need to start from
scratch as far as courses on it go.
Old December 18th 05, 10:04 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

In message ,
Interstellar OverDrive writes

I was thinking of doing Astronomy, not physics, at the OU. Are you
saying there is a large amount of physics involved ? My point was that
as I have an A level in physics already, I may not need to start from
scratch as far as courses on it go.

Once you get on to 3rd level astronomy courses (s381 The energetic
universe & s357 Space time & cosmology) you really need to have done at
least s207. If you are not looking for a degree you may get away without
doing other courses.

Why not go to your nearest O.U. Regional centre to look at the course
material for all astronomy courses and see if you are happy doing the
maths involved.

My advice is, if you want to get the most from the courses, do the
ground work first.
--
John Bristow
Old December 18th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Why not go to your nearest O.U. Regional centre to look at the course
material for all astronomy courses and see if you are happy doing the
maths involved.

My advice is, if you want to get the most from the courses, do the
ground work first.

I have no problem learning the maths and physics, just naively hadn't
expected it. I do seem to remember doing A level maths was probably one
of the most intellectual things I have done (that was when an A level
was an A level), so it will be good to refresh myself on trigonometry,
calculus and so on, and actually put it to real use. Eat your heart out,
Isaac Netwon (maybe!).

A good suggestion though, I'll ask someone at work who has just finished
an OU degree where the regional centre is etc.
Old December 18th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

"Interstellar OverDrive" wrote in message

A good suggestion though, I'll ask someone at work who has just finished
an OU degree where the regional centre is etc.

Try here http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/ for your regional centre.

Rob

Old December 18th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

where the regional centre is etc.

Try here http://www3.open.ac.uk/contact/ for your regional centre.

Rob

Ta - a ten minute walk from work as it happens !