ASTRO: M95 Reprocessed

Old April 8th 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: M95 Reprocessed

After Dirk asked about the three blobs in the nucleus of M95 I looked at
my shot. The nucleus was too burned out to see anything. So I did a
quick reprocess that showed the blobs he saw but with a bit more
resolution. I have now completely reworked it to show the core. This
greatly reduces the bar from what you normally see but does allow the
core to be seen. I also hiked the contrast to show the odd loops of
dust bands in the core. It looks very weird in there as Dirk had first
noticed. I've attached the original post (cropped) for comparison. I
had no idea all that was going on inside the blob I had for the nucleus
until Dirk pointed it out.

14" LX200R@F/10, L=9x5', RGB=3x5' all binned 2x2, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M95LUM9X5RGB3X5AR4.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	619  Click image for larger version

Name:	M95LUM9X5RGB3X5rop.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	620
Old April 9th 07, 08:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Rick it clearly shows it now! wunderfull! (glad it was not my setup that was
cause..)
Anybody any idear what's going on inside the core of this galaxy?

reg
Dirk

Old April 9th 07, 08:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Your M96, and mine to be worked on if I can get the battery recharged
with my flaky Dell laptop power supply, show a rather similarly tore up
core. My guess is they, and possibly 105 have interacted sometime in
the past. In the case of 95 it is a barred spiral. Some theories have
the bar feeding matter to the core. That plus the interaction could
cause things to really fire up there. Note the blue color indicating
young super massive stars. The other knots look like they may have some
HII in them. I'd need to image through that filter to see for sure.
Sure is an active place, that's for sure. Seems few have dug into the
core to see the action. I wouldn't have without seeing your post. I
blindly processed it like I always had seen it and never even looked
while doing so. Just fired up my action that runs curves several times
to bring out galaxies. It went right past the point needed to see the
active regions your short exposures uncovered.

It's kind of fun discovering something you didn't know about in a photo
you took yourself as you did.

Did you get my post about Astronomy Tools I use with Photoshop.

Rick

Old April 9th 07, 09:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
D van den H

Rick, yes i recieved the article from the group.
I going to experiment with it as soon as the clouds come..(then i have
plenty of time).
Thanks for the explanation on the core!,

Old April 12th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"D van den H" wrote

Rick it clearly shows it now! wunderfull! (glad it was not my setup that
was cause..)
Anybody any idear what's going on inside the core of this galaxy?

See my webpage at: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/m95.htm

Also, for info on anything outside of the Milky Way check NED:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/ I'm sure that there's lots of info on the
M95 nucleus there.

George N

Old April 12th 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

I remember how excited I was when I saw the core of this galaxy... it was
one of the first images I made. I have discarded the data as it was very
poor quality so your image reminds me that I need to do this guy again...

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old April 12th 07, 06:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"D van den H" wrote

Rick it clearly shows it now! wunderfull! (glad it was not my setup that
was cause..)
Anybody any idear what's going on inside the core of this galaxy?

See my webpage at: http://www.kopernik.org/images/archive/m95.htm

Also, for info on anything outside of the Milky Way check NED:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/ I'm sure that there's lots of info on the
M95 nucleus there.

George N

After Dirk posted his shot I went back through my library of old
a.b.p.a. posts and found yours there. That's when I went back to
reprocess mine. I figured I'd burned in the core when taking it but it
was only about 30k ADU so plenty of head room for processing.

Rick

Old April 12th 07, 06:22 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Doug W. wrote:

I remember how excited I was when I saw the core of this galaxy... it was
one of the first images I made. I have discarded the data as it was very
poor quality so your image reminds me that I need to do this guy again...

With better seeing I hope. It was lousy the night I took this and I was
in the midst of my frost on the outer side of the CCD window problem.
So I could use a redo on it as well. Nothing but clouds forecast for
the next 7 days

Rick

Old April 14th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
After Dirk posted his shot I went back through my library of old a.b.p.a.
posts and found yours there. That's when I went back to reprocess mine.
I figured I'd burned in the core when taking it but it was only about 30k
ADU so plenty of head room for processing.

Rick,

If you hit the unusual situation were processing with L-R or whatever
starts blocking up, just divide the image by a constant like 1.5 for example
and process away. Most software will work with real numbers and keep the
precision after dividing.

George N