"Good news" -- Spirit responds in 'cripple mode'

Old January 27th 04, 04:01 AM
Michael Walsh

Default "Good news" -- Spirit responds in 'cripple mode'

George William Herbert wrote:

jimmydevice wrote:
Funny how they call that "low cost" and yet one of those boards will
set you back a few million.

How do you know that the board is "several million"?
That quote sounds a bit speculative.

That's higher than the numbers I saw, but it was seven figures.

I designed
bios for carrier class systems and the system boards
were mever over 10K. I can't see testing and rad-hardening
adding more that 10X to the price. 2 Mil? Really??? That's
200 times the price of a highly tested, six nines system.

You have an engineering division producing custom boards,
processors, other chips. To space rated specs.

The product volume is, roughly, one flightset per year.

You work out the numbers...

Why is NASA buying from BAE? That STINKS! Note to self, Write congress
and call press.

It was originally a Lockheed division; they sold it to BAE.

I believe they're physically located in the US, however.
Manassas, Virginia, to be precise.

-george william herbert

Doesn't anyone realize or remember that the low cost of
modern electronics is because they are mass-produced and
sold by the millions to consumers?

Making a few specially designed and radiation resistant
computer and associated electronic equipment is
quite expensive.

Mike Walsh

Old January 27th 04, 05:07 AM
Phil Fraering

"Bill Bonde ( the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack )" writes:

Thanks. I noticed that this board has a PCI bus. Don't tell me they
actually have PCI cards in the Mars rover. Good grief!

Well, what would you have them do, come up with a special bus for
each new space probe?

--
Phil Fraering
http://newsfromthefridge.typepad.com

Old January 27th 04, 09:50 AM
Gary W. Swearingen

"Bill Bonde ( the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack )" writes:

Thanks. I noticed that this board has a PCI bus. Don't tell me they
actually have PCI cards in the Mars rover. Good grief!

OK, I won't. But I will tell you it's possible to use a PCI bus
without PCI cards and PCI connectors. For example, many PC
motherboards have on-board devices hooked up to the PCI bus on the
motherboard, avoiding the need for a PCI card and PCI connector. And
I guess they all have the main chipsets hooked up to the PCI bus
without using a card or connector.

Old January 27th 04, 09:09 PM

"Gary W. Swearingen" wrote:

"Bill Bonde ( the oblique allusion in lieu of the frontal attack )" writes:

Thanks. I noticed that this board has a PCI bus. Don't tell me they
actually have PCI cards in the Mars rover. Good grief!

OK, I won't. But I will tell you it's possible to use a PCI bus
without PCI cards and PCI connectors. For example, many PC
motherboards have on-board devices hooked up to the PCI bus on the
motherboard, avoiding the need for a PCI card and PCI connector. And
I guess they all have the main chipsets hooked up to the PCI bus
without using a card or connector.

OK, but you'd think they'd say something like that.
Old January 27th 04, 09:17 PM
BenignVanilla

writes:

Thanks. I noticed that this board has a PCI bus. Don't tell me they
actually have PCI cards in the Mars rover. Good grief!

OK, I won't. But I will tell you it's possible to use a PCI bus
without PCI cards and PCI connectors. For example, many PC
motherboards have on-board devices hooked up to the PCI bus on the
motherboard, avoiding the need for a PCI card and PCI connector. And
I guess they all have the main chipsets hooked up to the PCI bus
without using a card or connector.

I heard they got a good deal on some microchannel hardware from IBM.

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old January 28th 04, 07:46 AM
David M. Palmer

In article , the oblique allusion in
lieu of the frontal attack wrote:

Here's a description of the single-board computer at least:

http://www.iews.na.baesystems.com/sp...0/rad6000.html

Thanks. I noticed that this board has a PCI bus. Don't tell me they
actually have PCI cards in the Mars rover. Good grief!

We are using this board on the BAT instrument on Swift, a Gamma-Ray
Burst satellite we are launching later this year.

Yes, we use the PCI bus to connect to other PCI cards in the card cage
(which is significantly sturdier than the $29 ATX case you pick up Ed's
Computer Shop).

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)

No U.S. Hab Module may be good news Peter Altschuler Space Station 5 July 27th 04 12:59 AM
More good news Scott Lowther Policy 95 January 15th 04 03:08 PM
comment from Spirit news briefing my brush with greatness Brian Gaff Policy 0 January 5th 04 01:53 PM
Good news for space policy Greg Kuperberg Policy 61 August 4th 03 03:42 AM