Mining the moon for unlimited Energy.

Old February 5th 04, 10:24 AM
Paul F. Dietz

Default Mining the moon for unlimited Energy.

Gordon D. Pusch wrote:

Hmph. On re-examining Rider's dissertation, it appears you are correct,
and my memory of a factor of 15 was wildly wrong. Assuming quasi-neutrality,
separate maxwellian distributions for ions and electrons, =NO_ energy losses
except bremsstrahlung, and that =ALL= the fusion-product power can somehow
be magically recycled back into heating the fuel ions and _NOT_ into heating
the electrons, Rider gets:

fuel | P_brem/P_fus
--------+--------------
D-T | 0.007
D-He3 | 0.19
D-D | 0.35

(other fuels clipped)

The separate maxwellian distributions for ions and electrons follows
naturally from the energy loss via bremsstrahlung. This process draw
energy from the electrons, so to balance their temperature must be
lower than that of the ions.

I'll also add that the P_brem/P_fus ratio for D-3He in the table
assumes a 1:1 ion ratio. Increasing the fraction of D reduces
the P_brem/P_fus ratio a bit (see figure 7.3 in the thesis). This
also increases the neutron output, but (for the case of rapid
removal of T from the plasma) it's still well below that of DT
or DD plasmas.

It's not clear to me that the P_brem/P_fus ratios for DT include
the 80% of the fusion energy that goes into the neutrons. If
this is the case, the figure is misleading, since most of the fusion
energy from a fusion D-3He plasma will be in charged particles
and will be immediately available for heating the plasma.

The large tritium inventory in this case (waiting for all that
removed tritium to decay back to 3He) is worrisome.

Paul
Old February 5th 04, 12:49 PM
Paul M Koloc

Jim Logajan wrote:
(Gordon D. Pusch) wrote:

"Paul F. Dietz" writes:

Where does this 'exceeds its energy generation rate by more than an
order of magnitude' come from? The ideal situation I recall (optimal
plasma conditions, 'hot ion mode') was 19% of the energy goes into
bremsstrahlung.

That's not what I remember from Art Carlson's (sadly defunct) webpage
summarizing the Rider Thesis. What I remember was that bremsstrahlung
losses exceed energy generation by a factor of 15; I will have to dig
out the copy of the Rider Thesis Jim Logajan kindly loaned me and see
if I can find the exact figure, but I'm pretty sure that a factor of
15 is correct.

MIT has placed many of it's students thesis online. Todd Rider's thesis can
be viewed entirely online he

http://theses.mit.edu/Dienst/UI/2.0/...1?nsections=13

The burning of D-He(3) in a Maxwellian device, i.e. a PLASMAK[tm]
engine, is allowed, provided the power recirculation has a high Carnot
efficiency.

I haven't checked, but has RWBussard commented on the Rider "Thesis"?
--
|------------------------------------------------------------|
|--PH (301) 445-1075 ; mailto |--Raising Support ; //www.neoteric-research.org
|--Grid Power ; //www.prometheus2.net
|------------------------------------------------------------|

Old February 6th 04, 06:41 PM
Mike Combs

"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote in message

IIRC, it pre-dates Zubrin substantially. In fact, I vaguely recall that
it might even have appeared on a page or two of O'Neill's "The High

Frontier"...

I doubt that. O'Neill was pushing the use of lunar resources to build SPS.
I think he was of the opinion that fusion was not going to make SPS obsolete
in any foreseeable future.

He did talk about harvesting lunar ice at the poles though, the existence of
which was purely theoretical at the time.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old February 7th 04, 06:57 AM
Harry Conover

"Mike Combs" wrote in message ...
"Gordon D. Pusch" wrote in message

IIRC, it pre-dates Zubrin substantially. In fact, I vaguely recall that
it might even have appeared on a page or two of O'Neill's "The High

Frontier"...

I doubt that. O'Neill was pushing the use of lunar resources to build SPS.
I think he was of the opinion that fusion was not going to make SPS obsolete
in any foreseeable future.

He did talk about harvesting lunar ice at the poles though, the existence of
which was purely theoretical at the time.

Having worked for two years at Forrestal and personally known G.K.
O'Neill, the most charitable thing that anyone who worked there would
say about him was that, quite fortunately, he didn't come to work very
often! :-)

Harry C.
Old February 9th 04, 07:11 PM
Mike Combs

"Harry Conover" wrote in message
om...

Having worked for two years at Forrestal and personally known G.K.
O'Neill, the most charitable thing that anyone who worked there would
say about him was that, quite fortunately, he didn't come to work very
often! :-)

What's Forrestal? I was only aware of his research/teaching career at
Princeton, and his ultimately unsuccessful bid as an entrepreneur with
Geostar.

Old February 10th 04, 12:00 AM
Harry Conover

"Mike Combs" wrote in message ...
"Harry Conover" wrote in message
om...

Having worked for two years at Forrestal and personally known G.K.
O'Neill, the most charitable thing that anyone who worked there would
say about him was that, quite fortunately, he didn't come to work very
often! :-)

What's Forrestal? I was only aware of his research/teaching career at
Princeton, and his ultimately unsuccessful bid as an entrepreneur with
Geostar.

It's the large government funded and Princeton University admisistered
research center located off US Route 1 in Plainsboro, New Jersey just
outside of Princeton.

At the time that I worked there, circa 1969, it was host to the
Princeton-Pennsylvania accelerator project, part of Project Matterhorn
relating to the (then top secret) Lyman Spitzer Stellerator controlled
fusion program, and an aeronautical research project that seem at that
time to primarily focus on ground effects machines and hovercraft.

For a brief history of Forrestal Research Center, see:

http://www.princeton.edu/pr/pwb/02/0520/08a.shtml

Jame Forrestal, for whom the research center was named, was a former
secretary of defense who ended his too brief life via suicide. At
least for a brief moment he, unlike most of us, 'soared with the
eagles'.

For a government bio on James Forrestal, see:

http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/.../forrestal.htm

Harry C.

p.s. Back in 1969, I and some of my physicist/engineer friends at
Forrestal became enamored with the romance, beauty, and emotional
impact of shooting large, display fireworks. Many of the mortars that
we employed to fire these 3 to 6" diameter devices were constructed in
the machine shops at Forrestal, and welded by some of the finest
heli-arc welding machines and skilled welders in existence at that
time. We, often accompanied by the head of Princeton's Physics
department, Dr. White (former director of Brookhaven labs), would
often lauch these large fireworks from on top of the large, earthen
shielding mound that covered the entire accelerator. Locals simply
assumed that the lights and flashes in the sky were the result of
'atomic research' taking place in the facility. Gawd, if they had only
known the facts we could have all, Dr. White included, landed up in
the slammer! The strange lights in the sky above Forrestal gradually
assumed the dimensions of an urban myth, and even became part of the
'patter' of local tour bus operators on passing by the facility.
Evidently it was believe that our fireworks were the result of atomic
bomb testing ongoing beneath the shielding mound! Fortunately, I left
the area and went to work for Kodak in Rochester long before the sh*t
hit the fan, if it ever did.
Old February 12th 04, 11:58 PM
Dan Bloomquist

noodle doodle wrote:
We also know how to beam energy over long distances.

And how is that then???

Microwaves. But from the moon the transmitting antenna would be many
kilometers across.

I'd read that Japanese scientists have been working with lasers, you'd
have to search google. I think efficiency is a tough nut there.

But I would go with a chain and sprockets myself.

Best, Dan.
Old February 13th 04, 12:38 AM
Paul F. Dietz

noodle doodle wrote:

We also know how to beam energy over long distances.

And how is that then???

Microwave beam, rectifying antenna.

Paul