Mining the moon for unlimited Energy.

Old January 30th 04, 04:59 AM
Sanjay

Default Mining the moon for unlimited Energy.

Hello Friends,

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.

You may view the Full Article he

http://www.softtanks.com/Todays_Arti...p?Topic=Energy

Fusion of helium-3 does not produce greenhouse emissions, and mining
it would do little environmental harm The moon doesn`t have air or
water. So, there won`t be any of that kind of pollution.

So after Earth next mining target will be Moon.

Bye
Sanjay

http://www.softtanks.com/Todays_Arti...p?Topic=Energy
Old January 30th 04, 10:25 AM
Steen Eiler Jørgensen

Sanjay wrote:

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

Unfortunately, fusion reactors do not currently exist. And we are nowhere
near discovering how to maintain a controlled fusion reaction. This is
amazingly seen as a minor obstacle by people advocating lunar bases based on
arguments about the possibilities of extracting He-3 on the Moon.

/steen

Old January 30th 04, 01:50 PM
Gordon D. Pusch

(Sanjay) writes:

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

Unfortunately, we do =NOT= have the _FAINTEST_ clue as to how to build
a fusion reactor that could burn the stuff without a net _LOSS_ of energy.
It takes temperatures and plasma densities more than an _ORDER OF MAGNITUDE
HIGHER_ than D/T fusion to "ignite" even the "easiest" He3-burning reaction,
and it is not clear that such a reactor could =EVER= "break even," since
its bremsstrahlung loss rate likewise exceeds its energy generation rate
by more than an order of magnitude. Trying to "burn" He3 is like trying
to burn soaking wet paper --- it costs more heat than you get out of it.

A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.

...But that factoid is of _ABSOLUTELY NO VALUE_ if He3 can't be "burned"
in a reactor.

So after Earth next mining target will be Moon.

Not unless there is something so valuable there to make it worth the
hideously huge expense of mining it and the hideously huge expense of
shipping it back to Earth. He3 is =NOT= such a commodity, since it
currently has no commercial use except as a cryogenic refrigerant.
Furthermore, it would be cheaper to _MANUFACTURE_ He3 on the Earth by
"breeding" Tritium and waiting for it to decay than to mine it on the
Moon and ship it back to Earth. So quite bluntly, this lunatic idea
is pure moonshine.

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'

Old January 30th 04, 03:19 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.tech Sanjay wrote:
Hello Friends,

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.

snip
Fusion of helium-3 does not produce greenhouse emissions, and mining
it would do little environmental harm The moon doesn`t have air or

Neither does fission.
But nobody has done helium-3 fusion to produce energy.
Hell, nobody has done continuous fusion to produce energy.
Old January 30th 04, 03:21 PM
asontag

(Sanjay) wrote in message om...
Hello Friends,

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.

You may view the Full Article he

http://www.softtanks.com/Todays_Arti...p?Topic=Energy

snip

Or if you really want information on this prospect why not check out:
http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/research/he3.html

The people working for FTI (a former Apollo astronaut, professors,
scientists, etc.) actually do this stuff for a living instead of
trying to promote some website.

Aaron
Old January 30th 04, 03:25 PM
Don Lancaster

Sanjay wrote:

Hello Friends,

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

You are confusing net energy potential with economically recoverable
energy.

If it takes ten watthours to mine one watthour, then you have a net
energy sink and are simply destroying gasoline.

Mining Helium 3 off the moon makes almost (but not quite) as much sense
as recovering tire rubber off the highways.

See http://www.tinaja.com/glib/energfun.pdf

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: fax 847-574-1462

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Old January 30th 04, 07:04 PM
Mike Combs

"Sanjay" wrote in message
m...

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

Just one minor problem: the fusion reactors which would burn this fuel do
not yet exist even as paper designs. He3 fusion would be the more difficult
of 3 different fusion cycles proposed. We've been working on the easiest
for decades, spending many tens of billions with no commercially useful
results.

On the other hand, all of the technical building blocks for Solar Power
Satellites exists at present. SPS could solve all our energy needs for as
long as the sun shines.

But one of the more economical sources of the raw materials needed to build
SPS would be the moon. So mining the moon may yet figure into the solution
to our energy problems.

See http://members.aol.com/oscarcombs/settle.htm

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Gerard O'Neill - "The High Frontier"

Old January 31st 04, 03:15 AM
Jonathan Wilson

"Sanjay" wrote in message
m...
Hello Friends,

There is plenty of energy on moons crust that if we can mine Helium 3
Gas out of Moons crust we can solve all our energy needs for 1000
years.

A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.

You may view the Full Article he

http://www.softtanks.com/Todays_Arti...p?Topic=Energy

Fusion of helium-3 does not produce greenhouse emissions, and mining
it would do little environmental harm The moon doesn`t have air or
water. So, there won`t be any of that kind of pollution.

Yep. Sometime in the future. He3 fusion is theoretically more difficult than
fusing deuterium, and we haven't made that pay yet.

Given that we can do that economically, it might still make more sense to
scoop it out of the atmospheres of the giant planets than to strip-mine the
surface of the moon.

It bears thinking about: don't know if I want my great-great-grandkids
looking up at night and seeing Lunar Pit Mine Number 12 where Tycho used to
be.

Regards,
Jonathan Wilson

Old January 31st 04, 01:04 PM
Ross A. Finlayson

(Sanjay) wrote in message om...
A pound of Helium-3 is having energy equivalent of 1 Million ton of
Coal.
Fusion of helium-3 does not produce greenhouse emissions, and mining
it would do little environmental harm The moon doesn`t have air or
water. So, there won`t be any of that kind of pollution.

So after Earth next mining target will be Moon.

Bye
Sanjay

Hi,

The fuel for fusion is normally hydrogen, deuterium, not "helium
three."

The byproduct of fusion is helium. You want Helium 3? Fuse hydrogen
and deuterium, isotopes of hydrogen, readily extractable from
seawater.

That's kind of like a breeder reactor, using fission to generate more
fissionable materials than you started with.

It's simpler to just burn the hydrogen. The emission is water you can
drink.

Obviously, it takes electricity to generate the hydrogen. Also,
gaseous fuel is more difficult to handle than relatively non-volatile
liquid fuel. How about a transport liquid for hydrogen, that
separates much easier than water or catalyzes out?

We don't have a helium 3 fusion reactor, although I read some are in
development. Also in development in much more advanced stages are
hydrogen fusion reactors. If a helium 3 reactor is much less
radioactive and thus safer, that's great. A phalanx of parabolic
solar mirrors generates less, they use the beamed power from the Sun's
fusion reactor.

I read that tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years and decays to helium
3. There's tritium in seawater. Why not just get a big tank of
tritium and harvest the helium 3 from that? You can boil it off the
Earthly soil of the tritium manufacturing plants, in the process
working on the EPA superfund-type cleaning of said sites.

http://www.ieer.org/reports/tritnote.html

We go to the moon because it is the moon of Earth.

The reason to establish life on Luna is not to scrape helium off of
it, but to establish an infrastructure to go to the asteroids and make
precious metals almost universally available. It's for the good of
humanity, cleaning the solar system of dangerous asteroids.

In terms of light helium production, a moonbase would have to be
pretty economical to compete with Earthly forms of energy production,
including Earthly helium production.

Perhaps you can enlighten us on a low temperature fusion reaction. I
guess it's about electroweak force. The high temperature of the
fusion reactor allows the particles wavelength to superimpose the
nexts' thus annihilation and fusion. (- Nonsense.)

LASER: Light Amplification by the Stimulated Emission of Radiation

"You can fool some of the people some of the time." Then they find
out and come after you. Dang Pons and Fleischmann. Sonoluminescence,
anyone?

Where'd the helium come from?

Ross F.