"Big" Missile Launched from C-17

Old September 29th 05, 11:57 PM
Pat Flannery

Derek Lyons wrote:

For that matter, how many of you knew that the U.S. had
one of *these*?

"http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/images/sbx001.jpg"

Anyone who has been reading Allen Thompson's posts for the last couple
of years. (Though to be fair, I think his discussion of SBX has been
limited to sci.military.naval and alt.war.nuclear rather than the
s.s.* groups.)

Do you know that things max speed by any chance? Its wake in the photo
actually makes it look like it's going faster than a crawl.

Pat
Old September 30th 05, 12:20 AM
Allen Thomson

Pat Flannery wrote:

Do you know that things max speed by any chance? Its
wake in the photo actually makes it look like it's going
faster than a crawl.

Cruising speed is 6 - 7 knots, 12-ish km/hr. I wouldn't think it could
sprint much faster.

Old September 30th 05, 12:50 AM
snidely

Allen Thomson wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Do you know that things max speed by any chance? Its
wake in the photo actually makes it look like it's going
faster than a crawl.

Cruising speed is 6 - 7 knots, 12-ish km/hr. I wouldn't think it could
sprint much faster.

It's an oil platform, IIRC...out the North Sea? If that's so, then
speed would hardly have been a priority to original builders.

McB might have been able to speed it up a little, but...

/dps

Old September 30th 05, 01:06 AM
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote:

Do you know that things max speed by any chance? Its
wake in the photo actually makes it look like it's going
faster than a crawl.

Cruising speed is 6 - 7 knots, 12-ish km/hr. I wouldn't think it could
sprint much faster.

That must look extremely strange coming into port.
I found some detailed photos of it under construction:
http://bmdsidc.mda.mil/MDA_Photo_Library/sbx.shtm
Those are very odd looking ladders- like something out of "The Cabinet
Of Dr. Caligari". :-)

Pat

Old September 30th 05, 01:42 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-09-30, Pat Flannery wrote:

Cruising speed is 6 - 7 knots, 12-ish km/hr. I wouldn't think it could
sprint much faster.

That must look extremely strange coming into port.

Oil rigs moving are a rather weird sight at first - it looks like a
large chunk of dockside infrastructure going for a leisurely Sunday
stroll.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 30th 05, 02:16 AM
Allen Thomson

snidely wrote:

It's an oil platform, IIRC...out the North Sea? If that's so, then
speed would hardly have been a priority to original builders.

It's a CS-50 (first of type, AFAIK) built to bare-deck specs on
speculation for the Norwegian company Moss Maritime by the Vyborg
shipyard in Russia. Those are the same folks who did the Sea Launch
platform somewhat earlier.

After delivery to Norway without equipment, it was sold to Boeing who
was acting in MDA's behalf. Subsequently it was towed to Brownsville,
TX for initial fitting out with power, propulsion, living quarters and
the base ring for the radome. Then it went up the coast to the Kiewit
yard in Ingleside, TX, near Corpus Christi, for mounting of the radar.

It's now undergoing radar checkout at Ingleside and in the Gulf of
Mexico, after which it will go around Cape Horn to its deployment site
at Adak. Whether it will sail that journey under its own power or be
carried(*) by a heavy-lift ship (Blue Marlin) is apparently now under
consideration.

Moss has ordered at least one more CS-50 from another Russian yard,
SevMash(**) in Severodvinsk. What will be done with it/them is a matter
of interest.

(*) Sic. There really are ships that can pick up things like SBX and
carry them on deck. My brain is still trying to cope with the concept.

{**) Formerly makers of fine SSBNs.

Old September 30th 05, 02:35 AM
Ed Kyle

Derek Lyons wrote:
"Ed Kyle" wrote:

Ed Kyle wrote:
How many knew about this test?

For that matter, how many of you knew that the U.S. had
one of *these*?

"http://www.mda.mil/mdalink/images/sbx001.jpg"

Anyone who has been reading Allen Thompson's posts for the last couple
of years. (Though to be fair, I think his discussion of SBX has been
limited to sci.military.naval and alt.war.nuclear rather than the
s.s.* groups.)

I don't normally read those groups, but I did review
some of Allen's posts and was surprised to find that
the hull of this SBX U.S. Navy vessel was built in -
and I can hardly believe this - Russia(!)

- Ed Kyle

Old September 30th 05, 02:57 AM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-09-30, Ed Kyle wrote:

I don't normally read those groups, but I did review
some of Allen's posts and was surprised to find that
the hull of this SBX U.S. Navy vessel was built in -
and I can hardly believe this - Russia(!)

The Navy does this sort of thing just to confuse you, you know ;-)

If memory serves, it was built in Russia for some Norwegians, who
eventually sold it to the US. There is a second one being built in
Russia; it'll be interesting to see if it goes via a middleman again.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 30th 05, 04:08 AM
Damon Hill

"Allen Thomson" wrote in news:1128042965.949192.94610
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

(*) Sic. There really are ships that can pick up things like SBX and
carry them on deck. My brain is still trying to cope with the concept.

Must be semisubmersible, to be able to load/unload something as
large as that...

--Damon

Old September 30th 05, 04:13 AM
Damon Hill

Andrew Gray wrote in
:

On 2005-09-30, Ed Kyle wrote:

I don't normally read those groups, but I did review
some of Allen's posts and was surprised to find that
the hull of this SBX U.S. Navy vessel was built in -
and I can hardly believe this - Russia(!)

The Navy does this sort of thing just to confuse you, you know ;-)

If memory serves, it was built in Russia for some Norwegians, who
eventually sold it to the US. There is a second one being built in
Russia; it'll be interesting to see if it goes via a middleman again.

Somewhere in Russia, someone is likely having another
policy snit-fit:

"Comrades, we've practically given them our best
rocket technology!" (Aerojet bought outright the N-1's
propulsion technology, lock stock and barrel, and Pratt
and Whitney/Lockheed are all over the RD-180, learning
how it ticks.)

Oh, that was Soviet-era, wasn't it? The New Capitalism
has taken over the Communist world, and Marx/Lenin et al
are likely spinning in their graves.

--Damon