Asteroid warning for 2014

Old September 2nd 03, 07:49 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Asteroid warning for 2014

The NEO information centre is putting it as 1 on the Torino scale.

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old September 2nd 03, 07:52 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Asteroid warning for 2014 (orbital elements)

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/mpec/K03/K03Q46.html

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Old September 2nd 03, 09:06 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Gavin Whittaker
writes
Stephen Tonkin writted:
: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3200019.stm

: The NEO information centre is putting it as 1 on the Torino scale.

I'm selling insurance against any direct asteroid imact damage from QQ47
at the knockdown rate of 10 pounds per million pounds of insurance.

Last I heard the odds were a million to one (where have I heard that
before ? :-) so you'll get no takers here.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 3rd 03, 03:54 PM
Martin

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message
In message , Gavin Whittaker
writes
Stephen Tonkin writted:
: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3200019.stm

: The NEO information centre is putting it as 1 on the Torino scale.

I'm selling insurance against any direct asteroid imact damage from

QQ47
at the knockdown rate of 10 pounds per million pounds of insurance.

Last I heard the odds were a million to one (where have I heard that
before ? :-) so you'll get no takers here.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles

of
void"

Should do well for the DVD sales of Armageddon and Deep Impact.

Martin

Old September 3rd 03, 05:28 PM

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 15:54:13 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

Should do well for the DVD sales of Armageddon and Deep Impact.

Well I am thinking about buying a hard hat...

Now on a serious note, i for one am rather glad to see warnings like
this being given.
I dont personally believe that 65 million years ago an asteroid wiped
out the Dinosaurs, But I do believe our arrogance will one day destroy
the planet.

Something like less than 1% of NASA's total budget is spent on
searching for objects coming this way, which in the great scheme of
things ( look at the moons impact craters) there is going to come a
day when something is going to come this way, and we will as usual be
totally unprepared for it.

Whilst we are currently making light of this message, if it someway
raises public awareness towards the possibility, and that it turn
causes Governments to give some serious thought about this happening,
then in the long run, astronomy comes out a winner

Looking for astro bits and eyepieces?
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/astrobitsandpieces
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/orpheus1959
Old September 6th 03, 11:21 PM
Gareth V. Williams

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3200019.stm

: The NEO information centre is putting it as 1 on the Torino scale.

Minor quibble. The Torino scale values for any Virtual Impactor come
from either the JPL or University of Pisa risk pages. The NEOIC doesn't
do these calculations.

Gareth V. Williams, MS 18, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Associate Director, IAU Minor Planet Center
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/mpc.html
OpenVMS & RISC OS: refined choices in operating systems
Old September 6th 03, 11:57 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Gareth V. Williams wrote:
Stephen Tonkin wrote:
: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3200019.stm

: The NEO information centre is putting it as 1 on the Torino scale.

Minor quibble. The Torino scale values for any Virtual Impactor come
from either the JPL or University of Pisa risk pages. The NEOIC doesn't
do these calculations.

I don't think I said that the NEOIC had *assigned* it a classification.
However, let me rephrase it: "The NEO information centre is putting out
the information that it is classified as 1 on the Torino scale." Better?

(And now, of course, they are putting out the information that it is
classified as 0 on the Torino scale."

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Old September 7th 03, 11:06 AM
Fleetie

"Stephen Tonkin"
(And now, of course, they are putting out the information that it is
classified as 0 on the Torino scale."

)

It's still amazing what people in general think about this. A friend
last night said "So, what do you think about the meter"? "What?"
"The meter that's gonna blow up the world." "Meteorite! No, asteroid!
It's not going to!" Anyway, she seemed convinced that doomsday was
approaching in 2005. "2005? It was 2014!!!" People out there are
still thinking that this thing's going to hit!

I do blame the media (who else?); I remember last week, the Sky News
website had some sensationalist headline; I can't remember exactly
what it was, but qualitatively, it was along the lines of "Asteroid
smashes Earth in 2014", and only when you drilled into the story itself
did it admit that the probability was (estimated at) 1/909000 at the time.

Martin
--
M.A.Poyser Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K. http://www.fleetie.demon.co.uk

Old September 7th 03, 05:19 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Fleetie
writes
"Stephen Tonkin"
(And now, of course, they are putting out the information that it is
classified as 0 on the Torino scale."

)

It's still amazing what people in general think about this. A friend
last night said "So, what do you think about the meter"? "What?"
"The meter that's gonna blow up the world." "Meteorite! No, asteroid!
It's not going to!" Anyway, she seemed convinced that doomsday was
approaching in 2005. "2005? It was 2014!!!" People out there are
still thinking that this thing's going to hit!

I do blame the media (who else?); I remember last week, the Sky News
website had some sensationalist headline; I can't remember exactly
what it was, but qualitatively, it was along the lines of "Asteroid
smashes Earth in 2014", and only when you drilled into the story itself
did it admit that the probability was (estimated at) 1/909000 at the time.

Most of the stories I saw were having fun with the other unlikely things
that allegedly have odds of 909,000 to one. Definitely a case of "don't
panic". The sky _isn't falling.
But if there isn't a formal announcement of this type of event, they
will be accused of covering it up.