Tales of Cataloguing -- epilogue

Old June 7th 12, 09:56 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

Default Tales of Cataloguing -- epilogue

In the end, I did make those "Tales of Cataloguing" (quasar positional
fixes posted here in October 2011) into a paper, now accepted by PASA.
It can be seen at http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1144 .

cheers,
Eric Flesch
Wellington, New Zealand
Old June 8th 12, 07:16 AM posted to sci.astro.research
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 07/06/12 10:56, Eric Flesch a écrit :
In the end, I did make those "Tales of Cataloguing" (quasar positional
fixes posted here in October 2011) into a paper, now accepted by PASA.
It can be seen at http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.1144 .

cheers,
Eric Flesch
Wellington, New Zealand

quote
380 objects for which I find that the VCV position is offset at least 8
arcsec from the true optical position which I present. 31 of these
quasars require a move of at least 10 arcminutes.
end quote

Are you sure that NONE of those object *moved* ???

"Expect the unexpected"...

Try again in a few years some of those 380 objects.

P.S. I know I know, "Impossible", quasars are too far away, whatever.
But... observations have the last word!

:-)
Old June 8th 12, 09:50 AM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

On Fri, 08 Jun 12, jacob navia wrote:
quote
380 objects for which I find that the VCV position is offset at least 8
arcsec from the true optical position which I present. 31 of these
quasars require a move of at least 10 arcminutes.
end quote

Are you sure that NONE of those object *moved* ???

Ha ha, you can check that for yourself, Jacob, by looking up any
quasar on the Digitized Sky Survey at
http://archive.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/dss_form

Check the object in turn on a POSS1 plate (1950s-60s epoch) and also
on a POSS2 plate (1980s epoch) and report back here if you see any
moving quasars. :-)

Eric
Old June 8th 12, 02:43 PM posted to sci.astro.research
Eric Flesch

..... to which I would like to add that, had I ever seen a moving
quasar, believe me, I'd be jumping up & down and pushing it in the
faces of absolutely everyone. Martin knows I would. But never a
moving quasar have I ever seen.

cheers, Eric

[Mod. note: Completely agree! -- mjh]