ASTRO: NGC 2392 ("lucky imaging")

Old March 29th 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 2392 ("lucky imaging")

A guy from Potsdam (which is the capital of the german state "Brandenburg",
which borders directly to Berlin; you leave Berlin to the southwest and
enter Potsdam at the same time) recently posted a good image of NGC 2392 in
a german astro-forum. He did it with 2 second-exposures with an
EMCCD-equipped camera. This camera goes incredibly deep with short
subexposures. See
http://www.astronomicum.de/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7620 for
50x5 seconds of M27 in the upper row and 25x10 seconds in the lower row (the
columns show different gain settings for this camera).

I wanted to try something similar with my SXV-H9 camera, as I think that it
has by far the best "conventional" CCD chip with antiblooming.
I cheated a bit though and used 10 second subexposures.

Taken from the middle of Berlin with a 10" Meade ACF at f/7.2 on a G11
mount, SXV-H9 camera, 42x10 seconds L, 17x10s R + 15x10s Ha, 28x10s G,
25x10s B.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp3/2392colourgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2392colourgut.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	2872
Old March 29th 10, 10:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 3/29/2010 3:17 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
[...]

I was thinking Luky imaging needs sub second exposures. It would here.
I've found that in 5 seconds the FWHM of a star is pretty much the
same as for many minutes. At 2 seconds I see a slight difference.
Below that the star usually is too dim to get a good reading but
watching the video camera I had before it fell out and I stepped on it,
I'd need half second or shorter to have much improvement then I'd have
to throw out 80% of the frames. Easier to wait for that super night.

http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=2262&stc=1

Rick

Old March 30th 10, 08:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I guess it is true that 2 second exposures are not "lucky imaging". But if
you count in guiding errors, the term starts to make sense again :-)

Stefan

. com...

Old April 1st 10, 11:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Milton Aupperle

In article , Stefan Lilge
wrote:

[...]

begin 666 2392colourgut.jpg

Hi Stephan;

Nice image..

Here's my shot of it this spring:

http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImag...A_20100305.jpg

Check out the enlarged view (stacked at 3x normal size) too on the
bottom left corner.

Thganks for sharing..

Milton Aupperle
http://www.outcastsoft.com/AstroImages/AstroIndex.html