A question about heat, rephrased.

Old October 3rd 04, 06:54 AM
Shadowmega

Default A question about heat, rephrased.

I already posted a question about heat asking how heat travels through
a vacuum, but everybody assumed I was talking about starlight and I
therefore got a bunch of responses relating to photons and
electromagnetic waves. So allow me to rephrase...

If an astronaut removes his helmet in space, what happens to his body
heat considering heat does not travel through a vacuum?

Old October 10th 04, 04:51 AM
Offshore CEO

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:54:04 -0700, Shadowmega wrote:

I already posted a question about heat asking how heat travels through
a vacuum, but everybody assumed I was talking about starlight and I
therefore got a bunch of responses relating to photons and
electromagnetic waves. So allow me to rephrase...

Maybe that is because that's the correct answer

If an astronaut removes his helmet in space, what happens to his body
heat considering heat does not travel through a vacuum?

His body will radiate the heat, in the form of black body
radiation. The "main" wavelength will increase as his
body's temperature decreases.

If he is not near a star, eventually his body should cool
to the same temperature as the cosmic background.

--
http://www.offshoreexecutive.com/ Offshore The Boss!

Old October 22nd 04, 09:48 PM
Sander Vesik

Shadowmega wrote:
I already posted a question about heat asking how heat travels through
a vacuum, but everybody assumed I was talking about starlight and I
therefore got a bunch of responses relating to photons and
electromagnetic waves. So allow me to rephrase...

If an astronaut removes his helmet in space, what happens to his body
heat considering heat does not travel through a vacuum?

Heat travels through vacuum just fine.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old October 24th 04, 09:53 AM
Craig Secrist

the astronaut in question is flash frozen, his blood freeze dried
instantly, assuming the astronaut in question didn't explode immediately
from the air pressure difference. This is not a really fun experiment.
Don't try this at home, kids.

The reason heat does not travel easily through a vaccuum is because heat
is kinetic energy, which operates at a much higher collective density
per cubic environment variable than in outer space. Consider the fact
that in outer space, the closest atoms are together is about a meter
apart, no accounting for dust and debris say in a ring like around
Saturn or an asteroid belt, whereas on Earth the atoms are much closer
together, say anywhere from a nanometer on up(that's 1/1,000,000 of one
meter). You can feel heat on earth because there are more atoms to
transmit heat than there are in space. Got it? Good. Since kinetic
energy is an active force, the less there is around it to support the
force exerted, the less force can be exerted and the more force must be
exerted to maintain equilibrium. It is a recursively dynamic equation
bearing on that which can be used efficiently for kinetic support
grounded to the base state of consumption rate needed to maintain the
ground state.

Is your question leading somewhere?

Old October 30th 04, 09:21 PM
th

Rearranged reply to correct some top posting:

Craig Secrist wrote:

Shadowmega wrote:

I already posted a question about heat asking how heat travels through
a vacuum, but everybody assumed I was talking about starlight and I
therefore got a bunch of responses relating to photons and
electromagnetic waves. So allow me to rephrase...

If an astronaut removes his helmet in space, what happens to his body
heat considering heat does not travel through a vacuum?

the astronaut in question is flash frozen, his blood freeze dried
instantly, assuming the astronaut in question didn't explode immediately
from the air pressure difference. This is not a really fun experiment.
Don't try this at home, kids.

No, he is not flash frozen. If we disregard any effects due to the air
pressure difference his temperature might degrade because he is
radiating heat into deep space (assuming the head is in shadow, if it is
in sunlight in earth orbit it will be heated and get a very quick tan!)

[...]

Here you are are making a big mistake, heat is not just kinetic energy,
it is also photon energy, just use the Planck Law and you'll find out
how much heat exchange there is with the environment (3 K if radiating
into deep space)

--
th