Saturn

Old December 30th 05, 03:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Saturn

I was looking for a new background image and I found this...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06193

It has to be one of the best photos of Saturn I've come across.

Is the blue tint caused by the rings scattering sunlight?

Another quick question...off topic. Anyone know what causes the feeling
of an air pressure change and a high pitched tone in your ears for a few
seconds. This happens to me a few times a year...is it actual EM
broadcast near the audible range or is it just an internal function of
the ear?

--
Clear Skies,

Paul Murphy

(remove gemini to email me)
Old December 30th 05, 05:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"Paul Murphy" wrote in message
news
I was looking for a new background image and I found this...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06193

It has to be one of the best photos of Saturn I've come across.

Is the blue tint caused by the rings scattering sunlight?

Another quick question...off topic. Anyone know what causes the feeling
of an air pressure change and a high pitched tone in your ears for a few
seconds. This happens to me a few times a year...is it actual EM
broadcast near the audible range or is it just an internal function of
the ear?

--
Clear Skies,

Paul Murphy

(remove gemini to email me)

Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I must say that is certainly a
stunning picture. Thanks for posting the link.

George

Old December 30th 05, 09:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Paul Murphy wrote:
I was looking for a new background image and I found this...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06193

It has to be one of the best photos of Saturn I've come across.

Is the blue tint caused by the rings scattering sunlight?

No, it is due to the northern cap being brought to sunlight after
several years of darkness.

Another quick question...off topic. Anyone know what causes the feeling
of an air pressure change and a high pitched tone in your ears for a few
seconds. This happens to me a few times a year...is it actual EM
broadcast near the audible range or is it just an internal function of
the ear?

It happens to me form time to time but I haven't got an answer.

Andrea T.

Old December 30th 05, 12:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul Murphy wrote:
I was looking for a new background image and I found this...

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06193

It has to be one of the best photos of Saturn I've come across.

Is the blue tint caused by the rings scattering sunlight?

No, it is due to the northern cap being brought to sunlight after
several years of darkness.

But the blue tint is all along the sun-lit limb (even at the equator).

George

Old December 30th 05, 12:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

That's got to be something entirely different, likely preferential
back-scattering of shorter wavelengths at the terminator. Besides, the
pic is for illustration purpose only.

Andrea T.

Old December 30th 05, 02:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:52:53 GMT, Paul Murphy
wrote:

Another quick question...off topic. Anyone know what causes the feeling
of an air pressure change and a high pitched tone in your ears for a few
seconds. This happens to me a few times a year...is it actual EM
broadcast near the audible range or is it just an internal function of
the ear?

It sounds like tinnitus. Often there's no specific cause or
treatment. Mention it to your MD if it causes concern. If you notice
hearing loss make an appointment. I've experienced a variant of
meniere's syndrome that produced pressure sensing, tinnitus and
fluctating deafness. A rare benign tumor called an acoustic nerve
neurinoma could cause symptoms like the ones I experienced and they
did an MRI to rule that out.

Old December 30th 05, 03:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Ear Symptoms [was Saturn]

wrote:

Another quick question...off topic. Anyone know what causes the feeling
of an air pressure change and a high pitched tone in your ears for a few
seconds. This happens to me a few times a year...is it actual EM
broadcast near the audible range or is it just an internal function of
the ear?

It sounds like tinnitus. Often there's no specific cause or
treatment. Mention it to your MD if it causes concern. If you notice
hearing loss make an appointment. I've experienced a variant of
meniere's syndrome that produced pressure sensing, tinnitus and
fluctating deafness.

Fluctuating deafness? Interesting. Mine came on suddenly and
permanently one morning in 1966. Continuous tinnitis in that ear since
... and no particular sense of pressure. Also diagnosed as Menniere's.

One year only. The other has tinnitis now, which may or may not be
Meniere's they say, despite daily preventative meds. Or may just be age
(I'm about 40 yrs older now).

Phil
Old December 30th 05, 03:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

wrote:

[...]

1966! Phil--your brain must mask that out most of the time... I have
what seems like minor tinnitis... and I don't notice it most of the
time.

It's my eyes I worry about... I have high acuity and I'm really going to
miss my excellent vision as these eyes continue to age. Best to get in as
many observing nights as possible!

Old December 30th 05, 04:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Sam Wormley wrote:

Fluctuating deafness? Interesting. Mine came on suddenly and
permanently one morning in 1966. Continuous tinnitis in that ear
since ... and no particular sense of pressure. Also diagnosed as
Menniere's.

One year only. The other has tinnitis now, which may or may not be
Meniere's they say, despite daily preventative meds. Or may just be
age (I'm about 40 yrs older now).

Phil

1966! Phil--your brain must mask that out most of the time... I have
what seems like minor tinnitis... and I don't notice it most of the
time.

It's my eyes I worry about... I have high acuity and I'm really going to
miss my excellent vision as these eyes continue to age. Best to get in as
many observing nights as possible!

Yes .. I seldom think about it unless I think about it actively, and
then it is overwheming! Worst is in a noisy restaurant; seems to make
it more pronounced and I get edgy.

My vision is far from excellent, alas: About 20-400 uncorrected and
astigmatic, and developing cateracts in one eye now. Only the cateracts
are a new development.

Yup -- use it while you have it!

Phil
Old December 30th 05, 05:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Take your pick......

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/index.asp

My 22 yr old daughter's acute bilateral sensorineural hearing loss is
due to a reaction to a childhood vaccine when she was 3 yrs old. By the
time she turned 5, the vaccine "fried" the hairs in her cochlear and
left her totally deaf in one ear and with 15% hearing in the other. A
hearing aid was of little help. She eventually lost the 15%. At age 5
she had a cochlear implant. That failed after 9 months. Special
education, special schools. I still remember the talk I had with her
when she was messing up in high school. "You better get better grades,
cause you'll be stuffing donuts in a back room or cleaning toilets the
rest of your life. Here's a bucket, the brush and some bleach. Get some
experience. Whatever you do, don't get pregnant like your girlfriends."

Today she is a senior on a full scholarship at Gaulludet University in
Washington DC and attending Georgetown University for pre-law classes.
She is a contributing writer/photojournalist for her college newspaper.
This past summer she was an intern in the Health and Human Services
Department in the State of Michigan, advising, counseling and
interpreting for other hearing impaired individuals. She plans on
continuing her education at Columbia Law School in N.Y. or the
University of Arizona. Her mind is set on becoming an attorney to help
people with disabilities, but more importantly, she's a big mouth for
instituting new legislation promoting equal educational opportunities
for children with disabilities.

She is getting re-implanted with a new cochlear implant in 2 weeks then
coming out to visit me and we're going to listen to coyotes howl and
owls hoot.

Needless to say, I am very proud of her.

Cathy ~~not a grandmother
Diamond Bell, AZ