Using the sun to send a message

Old October 2nd 04, 01:23 AM
Skybuck Flying

Default Using the sun to send a message

Hi,

Seeing all the bull**** in this newsgroup or maybe sci-fi... or maybe future
technology I thought I add some of mine hehehehe.

My idea is to use the SUN as a way to send a message to aliens

We build a big shield around the sun. And then we can turn it on and off
like a lamp.

Yeah... because I don't believe that radio signals would ever get to the
other side of the galaxy... to much noise and stuff... so it's unrecnogzible
blabla whatever

So instead one needs a BIG, POWERFULL, SIGNAL

And I think the sun is a pretty good BIG,POWERFULL, SIGNAL

FUNNY EH......

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Has anybody ever though about analyzing stars ????

Maybe other aliens have already though up the same idea

Maybe aliens are already trying to send a message to us by using the stars
!!!

Since we CAN see the STARS ! even from earth hehehehehehe.

So has anybody really analyzed the light from stars... if they contain
messages from aliens ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 2nd 04, 02:18 AM
Uncle Al

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hi,

Seeing all the bull**** in this newsgroup or maybe sci-fi... or maybe future
technology I thought I add some of mine hehehehe.

My idea is to use the SUN as a way to send a message to aliens

We build a big shield around the sun. And then we can turn it on and off
like a lamp.

Won't work. Shield reaches equilibrium temp and emits. Who is going
to launch it, NASA? Ha ha ha.

Yeah... because I don't believe that radio signals would ever get to the
other side of the galaxy... to much noise and stuff... so it's unrecnogzible
blabla whatever

So instead one needs a BIG, POWERFULL, SIGNAL

And I think the sun is a pretty good BIG,POWERFULL, SIGNAL

[snip]

Multi-gigawatt continuous CO2 laser using solar pumped Mars' or Venus'
upper atmosphere and orbiting mirrors. Doable and not overmuch
expensive. During slack periods, aim the output at the Middle East or
maybe Utah.

Collimation and spectral purity count toward the bottom line. Make it
obviously anthropogenic.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Old October 2nd 04, 04:13 AM
Rob Dekker

Hi Skybuck !

I'm sure I've seen this idea before. Here you go :

It's a nice idea, but the problems with this system are as big as it's size :
(1) the system has to be huge (at least Jupiter size, and you even propose an around-the-sun shield).
So the benefits would be have to be huge for any civilisation to construct this.
Tell me some of the huge benefits, and then check if these benefits can be obtained with a lower-cost solution.
(2) Modulation speed (bits-per-second) might be hard to obtain. If you modulate the thing with 1MHz,
then it is likely that nobody will obtain the message, or even notice the existence on the shield.
A far-away observer will just see a 'slightly dimmed' yellow star.
(3) Modulation is a problem by itself : if you use a mechanical device, then speed wouold be restricted
to a few bits/sec. If you use liquid crystal or so, it will be immensely expensive, and probably
impossible to find enough material for a around-the-sun shield.

Overall, there are most certainly lower-cost solutions for an interstellar communication device.
So the real problem is cost. That's why the probability of such a system being constructed anywhere
in the galaxy will be extremely low.

Rob

Old October 2nd 04, 04:54 AM
Mike Williams

Wasn't it Skybuck Flying who wrote:

So has anybody really analyzed the light from stars... if they contain
messages from aliens ?

There are several OSETI (Optical Search for Extraterrestrial
Intelligence) projects in progress at the moment. They tend to be
designed around the idea of the little green men using modulated laser
beams pointed in our direction, because the technology required to build
such a laser is more reasonable than that required to modulate a star.
However, if there are aliens modulating the output of starts, the OSETI
systems will detect that too.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure
Old October 2nd 04, 10:53 AM
Algomeysa2

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message
Hi,

My idea is to use the SUN as a way to send a message to aliens

We build a big shield around the sun. And then we can turn it on and off
like a lamp.

Yeah, maybe that's what all these "Extra Solar Planets" that are becoming as
plentiful as fish in the sea actually are...

Old October 2nd 04, 11:10 AM
Fredrick Garvin

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:23:09 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

[...]

(Sarcasm mode on)

I'd like to thank the parents and teachers of the world for doing such a
great job with the children.

(Sarcasm mode off)

Old October 2nd 04, 01:58 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.physics Uncle Al wrote:
Skybuck Flying wrote:

Hi,

Seeing all the bull**** in this newsgroup or maybe sci-fi... or maybe future
technology I thought I add some of mine hehehehe.

My idea is to use the SUN as a way to send a message to aliens

We build a big shield around the sun. And then we can turn it on and off
like a lamp.

Won't work. Shield reaches equilibrium temp and emits. Who is going
to launch it, NASA? Ha ha ha.

Do the numbers before you laugh idiotically.
A shield around the sun at the diameter of the earth would reach
around 0C.

(there are engineering difficulties.)
Old October 2nd 04, 04:21 PM

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message ...
My idea is to use the SUN as a way to send a message to aliens
We build a big shield around the sun. And then we can turn it on and off
like a lamp.

[...]
Has anybody ever though about analyzing stars ????
Maybe other aliens have already though up the same idea
Maybe aliens are already trying to send a message to us by using the stars

Not exactly the same but related: Andy Fabian of Cambridge University
wrote a paper in 1977 which, in part, talks about: "Modulating the
X-ray luminosity of an X-ray source may also be possible with the aid
of an orbiting metal screen about one million km in size."

-----
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/np...15592bab827045

Title: Signalling over stellar distances with X-rays
Authors: Fabian, A. C.
Journal: British Interplanetary Society, Journal (Interstellar
Studies), vol. 30, Mar. 1977, p. 112, 113.

Abstract
It is shown in a rough calculation that a chunk of rock about 1 km in
size and of mass 10 to the 13th power kg dropped onto a neutron star
could produce an X-ray pulse of about 10 to the 36th power ergs,
strong enough to be detectable throughout the Galaxy. An advanced
civilization with mobility over a region a few parsecs in size may
therefore be able to transmit a crude broadband and omnidirectional
X-ray signal. Modulating the X-ray luminosity of an X-ray source may
also be possible with the aid of an orbiting metal screen about one
million km in size.
----------

Henry
Old October 2nd 04, 04:36 PM
EvolBob

Great idea if you can get off the ground (not literally)
Just one teensy-weensy problem..

While we are flashing to our alien friends (turning the sun on/off), what do we use for sunlight?
The 'we' being plants (that make oxygen), solar power in the numerous other planetoids we have got bases on etc..

On the other hand there may be some merit in using a small hot white dwarf star no one or (nothing) needs, for this purpose.

The lack of 'seeing' something like this may indicate reasons for it not working.
Of course seeing is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards
Robert

[...]

---