Daily Report # 4359

Old May 10th 07, 05:17 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report # 4359

Notice: For the foreseeable future, the daily reports may contain apparent
discrepancies between some proposal descriptions and the listed instrument
usage. This is due to the conversion of previously approved ACS WFC or HRC
observations into WFPC2, or NICMOS observations subsequent to the loss of
ACS CCD science capability in late January.

DAILY REPORT # 4359

PERIOD COVERED: UT May 09, 2007 (DOY 129)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

WFPC2 10800

Kuiper Belt Binaries: Probes of Early Solar System Evolution

Binaries in the Kuiper Belt are a scientific windfall: in them we have
relatively fragile test particles which can be used as tracers of the early
dynamical evolution of the outer Solar System. We propose to continue a
Snapshot program using the ACS/HRC that has a demonstrated discovery
potential an order of magnitude higher than the HST observations that have
already discovered the majority of known transneptunian binaries. With this
continuation we seek to reach the original goals of this project: to
accumulate a sufficiently large sample in each of the distinct populations
collected in the Kuiper Belt to be able to measure, with statistical
significance, how the fraction of binaries varies as a function of their
particular dynamical paths into the Kuiper Belt. Today's Kuiper Belt bears
the imprints of the final stages of giant-planet building and migration;
binaries may offer some of the best preserved evidence of that long-ago era.

NIC1 10879

A search for planetary-mass companions to the nearest L dwarfs -
completing the survey

We propose to extend the most sensitive survey yet undertaken for very
low-mass companions to ultracool dwarfs. We will use NICMOS to complete
imaging of an all-sky sample of 87 L dwarfs in 80 systems within 20 parsecs
of the Sun. The combination of infrared imaging and proximity allows us to
search for companions with mass ratios q0.25 at separations exceeding ~3
AU, while probing companions with q0.5 at ~1.5 AU separation. This
resolution is crucial, since no ultracool binaries are known in the field
with separations exceeding 15 AU. Fifty L dwarfs from the 20-parsec sample
have high- resolution imaging, primarily through our Cycle 13 HST proposal
which identified six new binaries, including an L/T system. Here, we propose
to target the remaining 30 dwarfs.

NIC1 10889

The Nature of the Halos and Thick Disks of Spiral Galaxies

We propose to resolve the extra-planar stellar populations of the thick
disks and halos of seven nearby, massive, edge-on galaxies using ACS,
NICMOS, and WFPC2 in parallel. These observations will provide accurate star
counts and color-magnitude diagrams 1.5 magnitudes below the tip of the Red
Giant Branch sampled along the two principal axes and one intermediate axis
of each galaxy. We will measure the metallicity distribution functions and
stellar density profiles from star counts down to very low average surface
brightnesses, equivalent to ~32 V-mag per square arcsec. These observations
will provide the definitive HST study of extra-planar stellar populations of
spiral galaxies. Our targets cover a range in galaxy mass, luminosity, and
morphology and as function of these galaxy properties we will provide: - The
first systematic study of the radial and isophotal shapes of the diffuse
stellar halos of spiral galaxies - The most detailed comparative study to
date of thick disk morphologies and stellar populations - A comprehensive
analysis of halo and thick disk metallicity distributions as a function of
galaxy type and position within the galaxy. - A sensitive search for tidal
streams - The first opportunity to directly relate globular cluster systems
to their field stellar population We will use these fossil records of the
galaxy assembly process preserved in the old stellar populations to test
halo and thick disk formation models within the hierarchical galaxy
formation scheme. We will test LambdaCDM predictions on sub-galactic scales,
where it is difficult to test using CMB and galaxy redshift surveys, and
where it faces its most serious difficulties.

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of NICMOS.
Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA contour 23,
and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50 minutes of coming
out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in parallel in all three NICMOS
Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non- standard reference files available
to users with a USEAFTER date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time'
will also be added to the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword
must be populated with the time, in addition to the date, because HST
crosses the SAA ~8 times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the
appropriate time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both
the raw and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally
we expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within 50
minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR persistence
from the science images. Each observation will need its own CRMAP, as
different SAA passages leave different imprints on the NICMOS detectors.

NIC2 10857

Are Organics Common in Outer Planetary Systems?

Mixtures of water ice and organics seem to pervade surfaces in the outer
Solar System, from the rings of Saturn to the Kuiper Belt Objects. The early
Earth was bombarded by the leftover planetesimals from the formation of the
planets, and these must have been rich in both ice and carbon to provide the
building blocks of life. Scattered light from debris disks is remarkably
similar in albedo {total scattering efficiency} and color {red} to the
objects in the outer solar system. Thus, we have a hint that the same
photochemical processes that happened close to home also happen around other
stars. We propose to study the color of two debris disks in some detail.
Scattering of light is the only window available to us to see the
composition of debris disks in a spatially resolved manner and to assess
their potential for containing planets like ours.

WFPC2 11085

Europa in Eclipse: Tenuous Atmosphere, Electromagnetic Activity and
Surface Luminescence HST Proposal 11085

We propose to image Europa during its orbital eclipse by Jupiter. This will
form the basis of an investigation into the nature of the tenuous
atmosphere, electromagnetic environment and surface material of Europa. We
will compare the FUV oxygen line at 1356A to the optical line at 6300A and
seek optical auroral hydrogen emission in Halpha. With broad continuum
filters, we will search for optical emissions from other atmospheric
constituents and for fluorescence of the surface material, arising from the
very high level of incident energetic particle radiation. The high spatial
resolution of ACS will allow us to fully resolve scales of interest and
allow us to distinguish easily the different terrains on Europa's surface.
In particular we wish to compare luminesence in regions dominated by ice to
those of potentially organic red material.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

Significant Spacecraft Anomalies: (The following are preliminary reports of
potential non-nominal performance that will be investigated.)

HSTARS:

10804 - FHST OBAD Failure

At AOS 130/05:07:49 OBAD #2 scheduled @ 130/04:40:15 had failed.

OBAD #1: Data unavailable due to LOS
OBAD #2: V1 31234.84, V2 -9674.28, V3 12657.23, RSS 35062.98

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST:

18077-2 - MSS/CSS Converged & Add Gyro1 input Test #34
18070-5 - MSS/CSS Add Gyro2 input Test #38 for SMS 127
18073-1 - PCS KF OOT Support
18054-0 - Preview KF Sun Vector Data via Telemetry Diags
17543-2 - Dump OBAD tables after failed OBAD (Generic)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

SCHEDULED SUCCESSFUL

FGS GSacq 11 11
FGS REacq 03 03
OBAD with Maneuver 28 27

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

Evaluation of Universal Kalman Filter performance continued. Multiple
text segments were executed, all of them successfully. Details follow.

Background Kalman Filter Operation Flash Report for day 129:

The KF was halted at 129/14:38. The filter was restarted at 129/14:41 during
orbit day and during an M2G guiding interval. The filter was activated with
the MSS and Gyro1 sensor inputs enabled. The Gyro1 sensor input was removed
from the converged filter at 16:22 during orbit day, in an M2G guiding
interval with the vehicle inertially fixed and during a slow changing
B-field. All UKF parameters showed nominal operation. The test was an
MSS/CSS test case with the Gyro1 sensor input removed during a slow changing
B-field and with the spacecraft inertially fixed (MC_G1_HNS, Test #34).

The removal of the Gyro1 input configured the KF back to the desired KF
configuration for this week. The activity above used the slot 1 TMDIAG at
129/16:21. The slot 1 TMDIAG was reset to monitor the V2 component of the KF
estimated sun vector at 129/19:09.

The KF was halted at 129/17:20. The filter was restarted at 129/17:22 during
orbit night and during an F2G guiding interval. The filter was activated
with the MSS and CSS input enabled. The Gyro1 sensor input was added to the
converged filter at 18:05 during orbit day, during a vehicle maneuver,
during an M2G guiding interval and during a slow changing B-field. All UKF
parameters showed nominal operation. The test was an MSS/CSS test case with
the Gyro1 sensor input added during a slow changing B-field and during a
vehicle maneuver (MC_G1_RVS, Test #28). The MSS only configuration of the KF
was restored at 129/19:08.

Daily Report #4330 Bassford, Lynn Hubble 0 March 30th 07 04:36 PM
DAILY REPORT #3902 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:48 PM
DAILY REPORT #3898 Lynn Bassford Hubble 0 July 20th 05 09:47 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM