Okay, DR. VELIKOVSKY, the Floor is Your's

Old December 26th 06, 12:57 PM posted to sci.astro,alt.astronomy,sci.geo.geology,sci.astro.amateur
Ed Conrad

Default Okay, DR. VELIKOVSKY, the Floor is Your's

Here's part of what Immanuel Velikovsky had written in the Preface
to the paperback edition of his best-seller, "Worlds in Collision,"
in the early 1960s:

========================

"The words found in the Preface to the 1950 edition, designating
the work as heresy in realms where the names of Newton and
Darwin reign supreme, should no longer evoke the same
spontaneous rejection on the part of even the most conservative
in science, unless it is a defense mechanism devised to protect
an inner realization of incertitude.

(Velikovsky then quoted Warren Weaver in "The Imperfections
of Science," which were part of the proceedings of the American
Philos. Soc. on Oct 17, 1960.)

"What, to the scientist, constitutes a really satisfactory sort of
success for a theory? (Weaver had asked) The answer lies
largely in the words generality, elegance, control and prediction."

As to generality, hardly anyone raised an objection. Possibly there
was some elegance in the timing: when these words were written
in 1960, ten years after the publication of my book and the great
opposition it provoked, some of the most compelling data were
radioed by the space vehicle, Pioneer V.

I would like to relate here a few details about the control and
prediction of two crucial tests, decisive for this book.

Early in my work I came to the understanding that Venus is
a newcomer to the planetary family, that it had a stormy if only
short history, and that it must still be very hot and "giving off
gas;" further, that it must be surrounded by a very extensive
envelope of hydrocarbon (petroleum) gas and dust.

Such claims were in total disagreement with what was known
in 1946 when I completed the manuscript of the work or in 1950
when it was published.

To stress the crucial nature of these claims, they were put under
the headings "The Gases of Venus" and "The Thermal Balance
of Venus" immediately preceding the section, "The End."

Should I be right in these claims, the entire chain of deductions --
of which the identification of the extraterrestrial agent of the
paroxysms described is but the final ring -- is strengthened.

And since these crucial claims were in flagrant discord with accepted
values, in case of confirmation they ought not to be denoted as lucky
guesses.

As late as 1959, Venus' ground temperature was calculated to be only
17 degrees C, three degrees above the mean annual temperature
of the Earth.

But by 1961, from the nature of the radio signals emitted by Venus, it
was found that Venus' ground temperature is about 315 degrees C,
or 600 degrees F.

Dr. F. D. Drake of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory,
responsible for this reading, wrote: "We would have expected a
temperature only slightly greater than that of the earth." and the
find was "a surprise . . . in a field in which the fewest surprises
were expected."

There was admittedly no satisfactory explanation of such high
temperature of Venus in the frame of the accepted notions.

Greenhouse effect could not explain so high a temperature, nor could
radioactivity decaying for billions of years.

The Mariner II, the space vehicle that passed Venus in December, 1962,
was instrumented to detect whether the heat is real and as high as 600
degrees. It found it real and a full 800 degrees.

It found, also, that the night side of Venus is, if anything, hotter
than the day side and that light does not penetrate the cloud cover.

The other crucial test concerned the gaseous envelope of the planet
(Venus).

In 1946, four years before the publication of this book, I directed
a request and inquiry to Professor R. Wildt of Yale and the late
Professor W. S. Adams of Mount Wilson and Palomar observatories,
foremost authorities on the subject of planetary atmosphere,
indicating that the presence of hydrocarbon gases and dust in the
cloud envelope of Venus would constitute a crucial test for the
cosmological concepts evolved from the study of historical sources.

Wildt wrote on Sept. 13, 1946: "The absorption spectrum of Venus'
atmosphere cannot be interpreted as resulting from gaseous
hydrocarbons."

Adams answered (Sept. 9, 1946): "There is no evidence of the presence
of hydrocarbon gas in the atmosphere of Venus."

I must have been completely firm in my belief of not having made
a wrong deduction -- from the first premise of global catastrophe
to the last one, of identifying the agent -- to have chosen to print,
in disregard of the expert opinions: "On the basis of this research
I assume that Venus must be rich in petroleum gases."

On Feb. 26, 1963, making known the results of the Mariner probe,
Dr. Homer Newell of NASA announced that, in his judgment of those
responsible for that part of the program, Venus is enshrouded in an
envelope of hydrocarbon gases and dust, 15 miles thick, 45 miles
above the ground of the planet."

Ed Conrad
http://www.edconrad.com

Man as Old as Coal

==========================

MIND-BOGGLING DISCOVERIES BETWEEN COAL VEINS

http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...tDiscovery.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...HumanSkull.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...HumanBrain.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...sOldasCoal.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...iscoveries.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...oreFossils.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/F...estResults.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/FOSSILS/OldestTool.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/FOSSILS/MVC-013F.JPG

=================

PETRIFIED FOSSILS STILL EMBEDDED IN SLATE

http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-002S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-003S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-006S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-007S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-009S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-010S.JPG
http://mysite.verizon.net/edconrad/N...s/MVC-012S.JPG

Ed Conrad
Man as Old as Coal
http://www.edconrad.com

================

American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Board of Forensic Anthropology
American Academy of Forensic Sciences
American Anthropological Association
American Board of Criminalistics
American Society of Crime Lab Directors
American Association of Physical Anthropologists
American Association of Anatomists
Human Biology Association
University of California-Berkeley
Penn State University
Paleontological Research Institution
BARFAA
Midwest Bioarchaeology and Forensic Anthropology Association
MD&C
Mountain, Desert, and Coastal Forensic Anthropologists.
Nude Beaches of Nevada
Canadian Association of Physical Anthropology
The Forensic Science Society (UK)
California Association of Criminalists
American College of Forensic Examiners Institute
Paleopathology Association
Paleoanthropology Society
SWAFS
Southwestern Association of Forensic Scientists
==
(cc) Larry King Live CNN ABC CBS NBC Fox News
MSNBC BBC C-span Meet the Press 911 Conspiracy
President Bush alt.war.iraq Baghdad Iraq Iran London
Tony Blair Rush Limbaugh Don Imus Ross Perot NYC
Lou Dobbs Chris Matthews Smithsonian Institution AP
Wall Street Journal Stock Market Nobel Foundation UPI
Keith Olbermann Dick Cheney Good Morning America
David Iain Greig talk.origins Fortune 500 sci.bio.evolution
OPEC Oil eBay Wal-Mart Target Extraterrestrials Hubble