Neutron star buoyancy force

Old May 26th 11, 02:34 PM posted to sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

Default Neutron star buoyancy force

Oscillation modes in a neutron star:

"g-modes or gravity modes, have buoyancy as restoring force,"

Anyone care to provide some detail?
Old May 26th 11, 02:52 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Frisbieinstein:

On May 26, 6:34*am, Frisbieinstein wrote:
Oscillation modes in a neutron star:

"g-modes or gravity modes, have buoyancy as restoring
force,"

Anyone care to provide some detail?

Do you mean "neutron degeneracy pressure"? The only force between
being a neutron star and becoming a black hole.

David A. Smith
Old June 3rd 11, 08:49 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
Frisbieinstein writes:
Oscillation modes in a neutron star:
"g-modes or gravity modes, have buoyancy as restoring force,"
Anyone care to provide some detail?

I don't know much about neutron stars, but gravity or bouyancy as a
restoring force is probably most familiar on earth in water waves.
Consider a small parcel of water that's perturbed upwards. Gravity
pulls it back down but generally "overshoots," and a wave propagates
outwards. The same happens in a variety of other contexts,
includings earth's atmosphere. (Thus "gravity waves" are not the
same as "gravitational waves.")

Alternative restoring forces can be pressure (e.g., sound waves) and
elastic body shear. This is important in seismic studies. I see
Wikipedia has some information on s-waves and p-waves as well as
gravity waves.

Presumably the gravity waves on a neutron star surface aren't very
high, but they could still contain a lot of energy.

Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA
Old June 4th 11, 09:35 PM posted to sci.astro
Dr J R Stockton[_114_]

In sci.astro message , Fri, 3 Jun 2011
19:49:57, Steve Willner posted:

I don't know much about neutron stars, but gravity or bouyancy as a
restoring force is probably most familiar on earth in water waves.
Consider a small parcel of water that's perturbed upwards. Gravity
pulls it back down but generally "overshoots," and a wave propagates
outwards. The same happens in a variety of other contexts,
includings earth's atmosphere. (Thus "gravity waves" are not the
same as "gravitational waves.")

Alternative restoring forces can be pressure (e.g., sound waves) and
elastic body shear. This is important in seismic studies. I see
Wikipedia has some information on s-waves and p-waves as well as
gravity waves.

Presumably the gravity waves on a neutron star surface aren't very
high, but they could still contain a lot of energy.

Robert L Forward (Dragon's Egg; Starquake) seemed to think that a
neutron star would have a rigid crust. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne
utron_star#Structure agrees.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London.
Web http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQish topics, acronyms, and links.
Old June 5th 11, 12:28 PM posted to sci.astro
Frisbieinstein

On Jun 5, 4:35*am, Dr J R Stockton
wrote:
[...]

My best guess is that by buoyancy force is referring to the crust
being less dense than the interior (what else?). So g-waves would be
transverse waves more or less confined to the crust, while p-waves
pass through the body of the star. There are also torsional waves and
several other modes.

Gravity waves are ripples in space time.
Old June 6th 11, 09:30 PM posted to sci.astro
Steve Willner

In article ,
Frisbieinstein writes:
Gravity waves are ripples in space time.

No, _gravitational waves_ are ripples in spacetime. Gravity waves
are any waves where the restoring force is gravity or bouyancy. Not
everyone uses the terminology correctly, of course.

Old June 6th 11, 09:40 PM posted to sci.astro
Androcles[_44_]

,
| Frisbieinstein writes:
| Gravity waves are ripples in space time.
|
| No, _gravitational waves_ are ripples in spacetime. Gravity waves
| are any waves where the restoring force is gravity or bouyancy. Not
| everyone uses the terminology correctly, of course.

Hey Willner! Read this below and quit being a hypocrite:

| Help keep our newsgroup healthy; please don't feed the trolls.
| Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
| Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

Don't feed the ****ing trolls with gravity wave bull**** or spacetime
bull****, Willner.

What is more common BH or Neutron Star??? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 27 June 29th 05 03:54 AM
Airship to orbit -- isn't the buoyancy enough? Patrick Doyle Policy 3 October 3rd 04 02:13 PM
Neutron Star Lloyd JONES Misc 25 May 5th 04 05:09 PM
Neutron Star Fragment Rick Misc 3 November 21st 03 07:17 PM
Is a Pulsar a different star than neutron star.??? G=EMC^2 Glazier Misc 4 October 3rd 03 12:03 AM