Iran launches "space rocket...or missile".

Old February 25th 07, 12:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Iran launches "space rocket...or missile".

Apparently non-orbital, but apparently reached over 100 km, as they
claim it went into space
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17326341/

Pat
Old February 25th 07, 02:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Allen Thomson

On Feb 25, 6:10 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

Apparently non-orbital, but apparently reached over 100 km, as they
claim it went into spacehttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17326341/

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...IRAN-SPACE.xml

Iran fires research rocket not space missile: agency
Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:04 AM ET
[EXCERPTS]

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has launched a sub-orbital rocket for
scientific research not a missile capable of reaching space as earlier
reported, an aerospace official told an Iranian news agency on Sunday.

Ali Akbar Golrou, the executive deputy of Iran's aerospace research
center, told Fars News Agency the rocket would not stay in orbit but
could rise to about 150 km (94 miles) into atmosphere before falling
to earth by parachute.

State television's Web site had earlier quoted the head of the
aerospace research center, Mohsen Bahrami, as saying Iran had fired a
missile able to reach space.

"What was announced by the head of the research center was the news of
launching this sounding rocket," Golrou said, denying the earlier
report.

Old February 25th 07, 03:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Terrell Miller

"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
oups.com...

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has launched a sub-orbital rocket for
scientific research

aka "ICBM"

--
Terrell Miller

"One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the
work of one extraordinary man."
- Elbert Hubbard

Old February 25th 07, 06:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Allen Thomson

On Feb 25, 9:26 am, "Terrell Miller" wrote:

aka "ICBM"

More likely SRBM. We'll have to see if more information is
forthcoming, but the description so far would fit a Shahab 1 / Scud B .

Old February 26th 07, 09:14 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Terrell Miller" wrote in message
"Allen Thomson" wrote in message
oups.com...

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran has launched a sub-orbital rocket for
scientific research

aka "ICBM"

Not at that low altitude. Maybe an IRBM.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old February 26th 07, 09:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
aka "ICBM"

Not at that low altitude. Maybe an IRBM.

Considering that it apparently went straight up into space, are the
hinting they are working on a direct ascent ABM like China has?
You know, the old sand bomb concept?

Pat

Old February 26th 07, 09:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Allen Thomson

On Feb 26, 3:26 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:

Not at that low altitude. Maybe an IRBM.

Considering that it apparently went straight up into space, are the
hinting they are working on a direct ascent ABM like China has?

You know, the old sand bomb concept?

I don't think so, unless they contemplate salvo launches against each
sat. The Scud-spawn just don't have enough oomph to get the required
amount of sand to the necessary altitude. (1)

And a homing kinetic-kill EKV is, for the next several years IMO,
beyond them (2), though they might buy one from China or somebody
else.

(1) I think. I'm going to be really embarrassed if that's not the
case.

(2) See (1)

Old February 26th 07, 09:45 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:26:53 -0600, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Jeff Findley wrote:
aka "ICBM"

Not at that low altitude. Maybe an IRBM.

Considering that it apparently went straight up into space, are the
hinting they are working on a direct ascent ABM like China has?
You know, the old sand bomb concept?

No, it's probably just a propaganda ploy to say that they launched
into space (you know, just as a lot of people here accuse Rutan of
doing).
Old February 26th 07, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Allen Thomson wrote:
And a homing kinetic-kill EKV is, for the next several years IMO,
beyond them (2), though they might buy one from China or somebody
else.

(1) I think. I'm going to be really embarrassed if that's not the
case.

(2) See (1)

They are capable of a lot more sophisticated technology than Iraq.
They have made indigenous weapons, (and knock-offs of a lot of others)
there are photos of them here, including their prototype stealth
fighter:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/39146...ection+is+done
If we get in a fight with them, we are going to be going up against
their copies of TOWs, Hawk, Rapier and Standard SAMs
Giant Russian SA-5s, Exocet knock-offs, Shkval torpedoes capable of
going over 200 knots, Cobra helicopters, turbojet powered antiship
missiles and all sorts of other goodies.
They won't be a pushover like Iraq.

Pat
Old February 26th 07, 11:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Quadibloc

Pat Flannery wrote:
If we get in a fight with them, we are going to be going up against
their copies of TOWs, Hawk, Rapier and Standard SAMs
Giant Russian SA-5s, Exocet knock-offs, Shkval torpedoes capable of
going over 200 knots, Cobra helicopters, turbojet powered antiship
missiles and all sorts of other goodies.
They won't be a pushover like Iraq.

But Congress won't authorize a *draft* for another Iraq!

So how do you end Iran's ability to make war without sending any more
American boys over to be shot at?

As it happens, during World War II, the Germans were developing the
V-2, and the Americans had their little project in places like Chicago
and Los Alamos. So old-fashioned war, sending people with guns to
places to shoot at others and get shot at is really obsolete.
Sometimes, circumstances are such that you have to do it that way, for
the little jobs.

But for the big jobs, you just have to push a few buttons.

And, if our estimates of Iran's nuclear reprocessing are just a little
bit off, it won't even have to be a nuclear *first* strike. If they
*do* launch a nuclear-armed missile at Israel, say, *next week*, I
hope it doesn't quite hit its intended target, but, say, some spot in
the Sinai peninsula where there aren't even any Egyptians to kill,
just a lot of sand to make radioactive.

It could happen at any moment, since the leadership of Iran has made
it very clear that it is willing to attack Israel.

John Savard