"Nazis Run Our Space Program" -- Peace Activist Bruce Gag-Me

Old March 17th 05, 09:31 PM
Eric Chomko

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:57:25 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Ami
: Silberman" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
: such a way as to indicate that:

: Oh, how do we figure the indirect benefits of government (such as the
: promotion of stability, market regulation etc.) which disproportionately
: benefit the rich. One of the side effects of the modern wellfare state is
: that we haven't had a peasant uprising in centuries.

: No, instead we've had taxpayer uprisings.

Is that what the Revolution was against England back in 1776-83?

Eric
Old March 17th 05, 09:42 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:33:55 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
(Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my

: : So, the govt. stepping in with minimum wage was a lousy idea, right?
:
: : Yes.
:
: You obviously think you'd be on the side of the bourgeoisie rather than
: the proletariat, inherently. I think we are sort of getting to the root of
: your personality with this. You think you have more class than you do!

: I'm not a Marxist, Eric. Class warfare is so nineteenth century.

Perhaps, but you do hold yourself in a position of higher class which is
really un-American. And I have no idea why you do that.

And I have no idea why you fantasize I do that.

: : We now have welfare for those who can't earn enough in the free
: : market.
:
: Which isn't the same as minimum wage. I'd rather see someone making
: minimum wage rather than be on welfare.

: Minimum wage is a form of welfare, where the money is taken from
: employers rather than taxpayers. Except most employers refuse to pay
: it, instead simply automating and letting jobs go undone. And people
: go unemployed.

And the basis of that comment is? Do you have a reference that employers
refuse to pay minimum wage and let jobs go undone?

laughing

: : Everything! The point is that a third party or arbitrator is neseccary for
: : labor.
:
: : That has nothing to do whether or not to have a minimum wage.
:
: Sure it does! Minimum wage keeps a lot of crap out of court.

: Like what? How does it do that?

If an employer doesn't pay minimum wage, then he is guilty by default. No
argument. MW is a standard that every employer MUST pay an employee. If
they pay more than MW, then an employee can't sue as they are getting MW.
If they go under, then the employee has a case. Having the MW standard
eliminates underpaid employees flocking to courts.

Flocking to courts for what?
Old March 17th 05, 09:57 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...The last Woolworth's around here closed up damn near 20 years ago,
but it was good for finding stuff at dime store prices when dime
stores themselves were dying out quicker than the department stores.

We used to have something similar to the dollar tore in our town back in
the late 60's. It was the "88¢" store*, and everything in the store cost
88 cents; which made it the perfect place to spend half my allowance on
models- generally Lindberg model planes in 1/48th scale.
No models sighted at the new store yet- although they do have a Chinese
toy aircraft carrier in a bag marked "Battleship". :-)

* This morphed into Gibson's, then Pamida, then moved, then died when
K-Mart arrived.

Pat
Old March 17th 05, 09:59 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2005-03-17, Eric Chomko wrote:
Andrew Gray ) wrote:

: Other organisations, if memory serves, are GCHQ - the signals-intercept
: people - and the Defence Intelligence Staff, which is pretty much what
: it sounds like it is. There's also the various police forces' Special
: Branches (most famously that of the Metropolitan Police), which have a
: quasi-intelligence role in some contexts.

: There, that ought to thoroughly confuse you...

Actually, no. Thanks for the overview, it cleared up my confusion. The
bigger then number the further away (external = 6).

Yeah, but there's no actual logic to that - originally there was a
breakdown simply by geographic area, where MI2 was "northern Europe" (or
something), that sort of thing.

(This had echoes in the US, again - for a long time the FBI, if memory
serves, held jurisdiction over anything to do with Latin America.)

MI6 got the name because one of the SIS's branches was given the title
during the war, and it later became attatched to the organisation
generally. There was a lot of internecine squabbling after the War; when
the dust settled, we had the two agencies and some miscellaneous bits
and pieces.

I guess a rough US equivalent is:

MI5 = FBI
MI6 = CIA.

At least their domains, though the FBI is both domestic and abroad where
the CIA (so we are told anyway) is strictly foriegn.

Broadly. MI5 probably has overseas operations, but its remit is domestic
- to protect the institutions, rather than to carry out their
activities, if you see the difference.

As I understand it, though, the FBI was originally a federal criminal
investigation body - closer to the UK's CID than anything else - which
later acquired intelligence duties; the role of MI5 might be better
compared to a more wide-ranging Secret Service without the VIP
protection role.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old March 17th 05, 10:02 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:44:55 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
(Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my

Rand Simberg ) wrote:
: On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:01:08 +0000 (UTC), in a place far, far away,
:
(Eric Chomko) made the phosphor on my
: monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

: : : You didn't answer my question. What kind of uniform were you forced
: : : to wear?
: :
: : I was speaking about parading as a spectator sport.
:
: : That's not what Pat was talking about, so your response to him (like
: : many of your responses to many people) was a total idiotic
: : non-sequitur.
:
: This has nothing to do with Pat.

: So you're admitting that even though your response to Pat was that we
: were already doing what he wrote (which we aren't), you were actually
: just babbling about something that had nothing to do with what he
: wrote. Typical.

Why did you eliminate this?

All I was saying that I have notice an

increase in militray presence in our society lately and used the
prsentation of the colors as an example. No, I have not been doing any
parading myself!

Because it was completely irrelevant to anything that was under
discussion, until you idiotically misunderstood Pat's comment.

This part that you removed clarified everything, yet you left it out and
went on about the first sentence out of context.

THAT is intellectual dishonesty! Your diatribe about Pat is what doesn't
follow. And as an aside from that YOU decided to quote out context.

What does this post and the topic of increased military in civilian life
have to do with any post from Pat?

Nothing. That's the point. Yet you diverted the thread here in
response to his post.

Old March 17th 05, 10:04 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...And the dyed easter chicks. Can't forget those. Especially when the
dog ate it and it didn't resurrect on the third day after.

(Cut to scene of stone rolling away from a dog turd)
God, I'd completely forgotten those- they did have those too, didn't they?
Can you imagine the prices you could get on E-bay for those old models
nowadays?
My brother got a Strombecker Ferry Rocket with the transparent exterior
and colored paper inserts to show the interior layout down there.

Pat
Old March 17th 05, 10:26 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:14:35 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Ami
Silberman" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

1. The "masses" are overall more contented and less prone to rebel.
2. Since the bread and circuses are supplied by the government, as
opposed to individuals, it is harder to manipulate the masses by means of
the bread and circuses.
It's a pretty cynical view, but I think that, overall a rational one.

Could be. The point remains that given we have a welfare state, the
distortion of the job market caused by minimum wage laws remains a
catastrophe for underskilled youth, and those who would simply like to
do some work, though they don't need the money that badly.
Old March 17th 05, 10:55 PM
Pat Flannery

Eric Chomko wrote:

You'd probably miss with a shotgun as well. And I wouldn't advise shooting
a shotgun into a barrel. But that's just me.

Like I said, there's going to be a lot of water flying around. I'd
strongly advise against immersing the shotgun's barrels in the water to
get a better shot at the fish though, because at the least you might
rupture the barrel from the shockwave*, at the most the barrels might
explode from the back pressure.
No, the most efficient way of killing fish in a barrel is by dropping a
handful of Alka-Seltzer in there with them.
This works on minnows kept in a styrofoam ice chest for Caiman food, it
will work in a barrel also.

* Like the little submerged bomb in the concrete sink incident I had
several years ago.

Pat