Griffin bye-bye at NASA?

Old November 14th 08, 02:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Default Griffin bye-bye at NASA?

Jeff Findley wrote:

We all hoped it would be true, now we're starting to see confirmation that
even Griffin expects to get the boot.

It's a horrible thing to say, but Griffin actually looks like a
contestant in Monty Python's "Upper Class Twit Of The Year " contest.
(For that matter, so did Tony Blair.)
You have to understand the psychology of someone who _actually wants_
people to refer to him as "Spock".
If I were in charge of NASA, they would refer to me as "General Klytus".
And they had _damn well_ better refer to me that way...if they didn't
want to have the Bore Worms put on them. :-D

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n0811/13griffin/

Spock is dead?

Ares 1 is dead? No Griffin; no Ares1? How much support is there (both at
NASA and the Obama 'camp') for Ares 1?

Old November 14th 08, 04:40 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

On Nov 14, 8:03*am, Pat Flannery wrote:

..although I think the whole party might break into two or three
separate parties shortly.

Get real, it won't happen.

Old November 14th 08, 04:49 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
M wrote:

He will be remembered most for his ill-informed decision to bring back
the poorly-designed-to-begin-with NASA Meatball logo.

That was Goldin, you dumbass.

You are right... Goldin was the guy who went on the crazed "Worm Hunt"
to the point that he would scream obscenities whenever he saw a "NASA
Worm" anywhere.
_Very_ strange guy, Dan Goldin.
"Stranger, Faster, Crazier." :-D

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 05:03 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Get real, it won't happen.

If it wants to survive, it will.
It will probably break down into:
Evangelicals/Neocons.
Free Market/Small Government Conservatives.
Libertarian/Isolationist Nationalists.
With enough political funding behind them, any of those separate
subgroups of the Republicans could have run a very competitive campaign
this year.

Pat

Old November 14th 08, 05:41 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
John Doe

Alan Erskine wrote:

Ares 1 is dead?

Would it be realistic at this point in time for NASA to modify the
Ares-1 concept to look much more like a delta-4 rocket ? In other words,
don't cancel the shuttle replacement, but transform it into a better
solution than the current plans which have serious problems ?

Are there people high enough within NASA who would be able to tell Obama
(or people that count in the white house) that the ares-1 is a flawed
design and that there are other, better, simpler designs on shelves that
only need a political nudge to bring to life within NASA ?

Or is pretty much all of NASA upper management totally sold on the
current Ares-1 design ?
Old November 14th 08, 05:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

Ares 1 is dead? No Griffin; no Ares1? How much support is there (both at
NASA and the Obama 'camp') for Ares 1?

He did link himself to Constellation and Ares I and V.
Any problems with the program and its space vehicles comes straight down
on his head.
I imagine that he's hoping that tonight's Space Shuttle goes off
perfectly, as the last thing he needs is a destroyed Shuttle on his
tenure as NASA Administrator.
Frankly, given the present dysfunctional state of NASA's manned space
program (as opposed to the unmanned program, which is going great*) I'm
surprised to find that they can find anyone who actually _wants_ to be
its administrator.
Try to do too much with too little funding.
That's a recipe for ending one's governmental career in complete disaster.

* Who the hell designed and built those MER rovers?
They should get some sort of solid gold, diamond-studded, medals for
that piece of work.
Yeah, the mission would be a complete success if they lasted ninety days...
Now, near five years later... the damn things just keep on going.
....and guess what?
Spirit just got back in touch with NASA:
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/newsroom/...20081113a.html
This is the very inverse of "The Great Martian Ghoul" theory. :-D
Old November 14th 08, 06:22 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Pat Flannery

John Doe wrote:

Would it be realistic at this point in time for NASA to modify the
Ares-1 concept to look much more like a delta-4 rocket ?

Yes, it would be.
Do you think NASA is going to do that?
Hell, no. :-D

Pat
Old November 14th 08, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,sci.space.shuttle
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"OM" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:52:40 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

* Who the hell designed and built those MER rovers?
They should get some sort of solid gold, diamond-studded, medals for
that piece of work.

....Of course, we know what they'll get instead: a snotty letter from
the GAO claiming that since they could easily build something that'll
last five years on the meager budget they had, they're going to halve
the budget and demand that the next generation rovers last twice as
long for less.

That's a constant worry; but perhaps that's why they say "...designed for 90
days, but it could be more..." - to ensure that funding isn't lowered on the
next programme.