Goodbye, Galileo

Old September 21st 03, 08:16 PM
uray

Default Goodbye, Galileo

"Bill Higgins" wrote in message
The Spacecraft Elapsed Time countdown clock has reached zero. In less

than
an hour, Earth will notice that the signal has disappeared.

So long, Galileo Orbiter. I had some good times watching your journey.
Many thanks to all the people who built and operated you, and brought us
your science.

Last message received "HGA is now free"

:-)

Old September 21st 03, 08:17 PM
Andrew Gray

In article ,
Bill Higgins wrote:
The Spacecraft Elapsed Time countdown clock has reached zero. In less than
an hour, Earth will notice that the signal has disappeared.

So long, Galileo Orbiter. I had some good times watching your journey.
Many thanks to all the people who built and operated you, and brought us
your science.

Indeed. Here's hoping Cassini does half as well...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 21st 03, 09:35 PM
Pat Flannery

Andrew Gray wrote:

Indeed. Here's hoping Cassini does half as well...

Due to the fact that it has a non-folding transmitter/reciever dish, it
should do far better. Live and learn.

Pat

Old September 21st 03, 11:37 PM
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:
Indeed. Here's hoping Cassini does half as well...

Due to the fact that it has a non-folding transmitter/reciever dish, it
should do far better. Live and learn.

And sometimes you learn the right things, and sometimes you learn the
wrong things. :-) Cassini would be better off with a deployable antenna.

The umbrella-antenna technology has a long history of successful use, e.g.
on TDRS. The Galileo HGA disaster was (probably) a mistake in the details
of how the technology was applied, not an indication that the technology
is fundamentally flawed. (And had Galileo been launched using
Shuttle-Centaur as originally planned, the antenna would have been
opened before separation from the shuttle...)
--
MOST launched 1015 EDT 30 June, separated 1046, | Henry Spencer
first ground-station pass 1651, all nominal! |
Old September 22nd 03, 01:33 AM
Hallerb

(And had Galileo been launched using
Shuttle-Centaur as originally planned, the antenna would have been
opened before separation from the shuttle...)

Multiple coss country truck trips wasnt good either.
Old September 22nd 03, 04:18 AM
Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to \s\

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:16:20 GMT, "uray" wrote:

"Bill Higgins" wrote in message
The Spacecraft Elapsed Time countdown clock has reached zero. In less

than
an hour, Earth will notice that the signal has disappeared.

So long, Galileo Orbiter. I had some good times watching your journey.
Many thanks to all the people who built and operated you, and brought us
your science.

Last message received "HGA is now free"

"All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

Old September 22nd 03, 07:01 AM
Pat Flannery

Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to \"s\" wrote:

"All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

Giant floating Jovian "Windbag" creatu "The pizza's here! But watch
it, the damn thing's hot! Kligano, I thought I specifically said NO
RADIOISOTOPES...they give me gas.....now don't get smart-alecky- you'll
get Radon outgassing someday, and then you'll know what I have to put up
with; you larval forms have it SO easy- your mother and I can remember
when Venus came flying out of that red spot right over there...have you
cleaned up your cloud lately? No, of course you haven't! Neither did
Flagatror....and you remember what happened to him? That's right, a
comet fell on him- so you remember that, young larva, you just remember
that. DON'T YOU STICK YOUR TENTACLES OUT AT ME! "

Pat

Old September 22nd 03, 03:28 PM
David Lesher

Doug... writes: