Teflon and re entry

Old September 12th 03, 08:45 PM
Andrew Gray

Default Teflon and re entry

In article , Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message , "Greg D. Moore
(Strider)" writes

"Paul F. Dietz" wrote in message
OM wrote:

...Teflon was important because it lined the insides of the bomb
casing. That way, if the bomb was a dud and the uranium core was
simply splattered inside the casing, it wouldn't stick to the inside
and could simply be wiped into a container by an expendable maid and a
damp washcloth.

Someone fed you a line on that one, OM. The conventional explosives
in an implosion bomb are more than enough to fragment the entire thing,
and a fizzle yield in any nuclear bomb would be more than enough to
vaporize it.

Umm, Paul, I think you bit this one hook, line and sinker.

But seriously, what happened to the big steel container that was
supposedly built for the first atom bomb tests, so if it didn't work
they wouldn't lose all that U235?

IIRC, they fabricated a large concrete/steel storage facility for the
uranium, way way out in the desert at the test sire; this was only to
hold the fissile material before the test explosion, though, so as to
ensure that

a) it was kept securely
and
b) any unintended criticality would be, at least, mitigated.

The bunker, later, survived the Trinity explosion being set off next
door...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old September 13th 03, 09:11 PM
Christopher M. Jones

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote:
I think you missed OM's invisible [/sarcasm] [/end sarcasm] tags.

According to the W3C code validator OM still has an unclosed
[sarcasm] tag from sometime in the late 80s.

Old September 13th 03, 11:04 PM
OM

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:11:51 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote:
I think you missed OM's invisible [/sarcasm] [/end sarcasm] tags.

According to the W3C code validator OM still has an unclosed
[sarcasm] tag from sometime in the late 80s.

....Actually, it's a holdover from prototype markup language tests for
a FORTRAN graphical display program on a Tektronics terminal I did
back in late '79.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old September 14th 03, 11:44 AM
Julian Bordas

OM wrote:
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:36:38 +1000, Julian Bordas
wrote:

Hmmm Not sure about that OM. How you say in America Go tell it to the
naval infantry?

...Guys, having all the Maxson trash around here has killed your sense
of humor. I mean, seriously. The clue that I was being humorous should
have been obvious when I mentioned that the mess could be cleaned up
with a damp washcloth.

After all, Army maids *are* expendable...

OM

Go tell it to the marines then.