Reprints of Classic Early Space Fiction

Old August 9th 06, 11:48 AM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Default "By Rocket to the Moon" now available

Otto Willi Gail's "By Rocket to the Moon" (1931) is now available. It
includes all of the original illustrations as well as an illustrated
afterword about the author and his sources.

Old August 9th 06, 12:34 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Ron Miller wrote:

Otto Willi Gail's "By Rocket to the Moon" (1931) is now available. It
includes all of the original illustrations as well as an illustrated
afterword about the author and his sources.

Any new thoughts on the 90 foot wide Martian landing cylinder that hold
a max of five Fighting Machines inside of it?

Pat
Old August 11th 06, 07:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Ron Miller

Pat Flannery wrote:
Ron Miller wrote:

Otto Willi Gail's "By Rocket to the Moon" (1931) is now available. It
includes all of the original illustrations as well as an illustrated
afterword about the author and his sources.

Any new thoughts on the 90 foot wide Martian landing cylinder that hold
a max of five Fighting Machines inside of it?

Pat

I hope you've gotten my email by now...

I thought the drawings were terrific! I took the liberty of passing
them along to my brother, who has also been working up a design based
closely on the descriptions in the book---though I know that he is
coming up with something quite different.

Old August 11th 06, 10:58 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Ron Miller wrote:

I thought the drawings were terrific! I took the liberty of passing
them along to my brother, who has also been working up a design based
closely on the descriptions in the book---though I know that he is
coming up with something quite different.

Got the e-mail a couple of days ago. Thanks for the complements! :-)
Unlike Verne, whom one suspects had a detailed drawing of the Nautilus'
innards before him as he wrote the book "20,000 leagues" I think that
Wells was sort of making them up as he went along, or had a rough sketch
of one at best.
His sketch of a Martian creature in "A Critical Edition Of The War Of
The Worlds" doesn't jive with his description of them in the book, as
the two bunches of tendrils bordering the mouth are diminutive in size
in the sketch.
What got me hooked on WOTW as a kid was my brother's copy of this:
http://drzeus.best.vwh.net/wotw/0027.jpg
Which I read years before I knew George Pal had made a movie of it.
Surprisingly, the rather over-the-top looking painting of Verne's
"Terror" on the cover of Classics Illustrated version of "Master Of The
World" seems to agree quite well with the device described in the book:
http://cardscomicscoins.com/usrimage/ci163orig.jpg ...although I don't
remember the canards...diving planes when she converts into a sub?
This one looks like the hybrid mating of a butterfly and a lionfish:
http://www.julesverne.ca/images/book...rld_terror.jpg
Not all that terrifying. ;-)

Early NASA PDFs Rusty History 48 June 13th 06 05:51 AM
NOMINATION: digest, volume 2453397 Ross Astronomy Misc 233 October 23rd 05 04:24 AM
Show some netiquette Saul Levy Misc 18 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
Show some netiquette Rising Loonie Astronomy Misc 17 September 11th 05 10:52 AM
VOTE! Usenet Kook Awards, March 2005 [email protected] Astronomy Misc 108 May 16th 05 02:55 AM