What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

Old November 25th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

Default What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?

"Erik Max Francis" wrote in message
| Sorcerer wrote:
|
| I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
| No interstellar medium required, though.
|
| What do you think the Doppler effect has to do with bow shocks?

You have a brain and eyes for chewing gum, huh? Any other uses?

Old November 25th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| "Double-A" wrote in message
| oups.com...
| |
| | OG wrote:
| | "tracy" wrote in message
| | oups.com...
| | According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars
are
| | more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of
these
| | "hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood? How
dangerous
| | it could be for life on Earth?
| |
| | What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
| | could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?
| |
| |
| | Not sure about that, this is related to an interesting photo on
today's
| APOD
| |
| | http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061124.html
| |
| | Alpha Cam, allegedly creating a 'bow wave' in the interstellar
medium up
| | 10 light years ahead of its position
| |
| |
| | How does an attractive object like a star create a bow shock? The bow
| | of a ship creates a bow shock because it repulses the water. UNLESS,
| | we are seeing an anti-matter star plowing through regular matter and
| | repulsing it with an anti-gravity interaction!
| |
| | Double-A
|
| I'm not sure if you are up to this, but consider:
| http://www.androcles01.pwp.blueyonde...er/Doppler.htm
| No interstellar medium required, though.
|

| "which is Doppler's equation divided by Einstein's cuckoo
| malformation."
|
| Exodus 22:28 "Thou shalt not revile the gods".

This has priority:
Exodus 20:16 "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour."
(which Einstein did, blaming Lorentz for his own crap).

I'm even less sure you are up to this now that you've wandered off
the subject into trivia, but consider:

Old November 26th 06, 10:45 AM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
George Dishman[_1_]

"Double-A" wrote in message
oups.com...
"which is Doppler's equation divided by Einstein's cuckoo
malformation."

As confirmed by the Ives-Stilwell experiment.

George

Old November 26th 06, 12:18 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
paulaireilly

Sorcerer wrote:
"paulaireilly" wrote in message oups.com...
| How dangerous
| it could be for life on Earth?

Paul, what is "it" and why are you asking?
Ignorant snipping will lead people to misunderstanding who said what,
don't you think?
Androcles

I'm not asking, I'm answering the question that is the subject of the
article... see above,
" What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?". I'm not sniping, I
agreed with the points
of the person I was replying to. And I am not ignorant on this topic -
I teach physics and
astronomy and was offering more exact quantitative comparisons to show
that the points
I was replying to about how far away stars are were even stronger than
had been
indicated by the post I was replying to (which was itself a reply.)

I'm mystified by your reply.

Old November 26th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"paulaireilly" wrote in message
ups.com...
| How dangerous it could be for life on Earth?

About the same as a bacterium in a crematorium. It might even be fatal.

| What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
| could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?

The speed is irrelevant, presence is.
You don't seem to grasp the scale of the Universe or even the scale
of the Solar System.
Suppose you have a cluster of 4 pixels (dots) in the middle of your
monitor screen to represent the sun, like this:

---- o ---- (Sun,
drawn too big)

Then

| -- . ----
(Mercury)

| -- . -- (Venus)
|

| -- ' --
(Earth and Moon)

Jupiter (still a dot -- . --- ) is about where your ceiling is.
Saturn is then in your kitchen, the NEAREST star is at the end of the
street,
and the imaginary black hole at the galactic centre is in the next city.
You have a far better chance of winning the lottery than meeting another
star up close and personal.

Old November 26th 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Peter J. Holzer

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.arts.sf.science.]
On 2006-11-26 12:18, paulaireilly wrote:

Sorcerer wrote:
"paulaireilly" wrote in message oups.com...
| How dangerous
| it could be for life on Earth?

Paul, what is "it" and why are you asking?
Ignorant snipping will lead people to misunderstanding who said what,
don't you think?
Androcles

I'm not asking, I'm answering the question that is the subject of the
article... see above,
" What if hypervelocity star came near Sun?". I'm not sniping, I
agreed with the points
of the person I was replying to.

He wrote "snipping", not "sniping". You snipped the attribution from
your quote and hence it might not be clear to some readers that the
sentence you quoted was written by "tracy" and not by "Sorcerer". Of
course Sorcerer's use of a nonstandard quote character doesn't help
there, either.

And I am not ignorant on this topic -

I don't think he meant the topic, but "ignorant" seems a poor choice of
words; "confusing", "context-destroying" might be better.

hp

PS: Could you keep you lines at approximately the same length?
Alternating between long and short lines doesn't make your articles more
readable.

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Wieso sollte man etwas erfinden was nicht
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | ist?
__/ |
http://www.hjp.at/ | -- P. Einstein u. V. Gringmuth in desd
Old November 26th 06, 03:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Peter J. Holzer

On 2006-11-26 12:37, Sorcerer wrote:
[Almost the same as in
three days ago]

Ignorant snipping will lead people to misunderstanding who said what,
don't you think?

If you meant to demonstrate that by reposting an article completely out
of context and then sticking an answer to a question you didn't quote at
the end where it was easy to be overlooked, you succeeded remarkably
well.

If that wasn't you intention, you might want to work a bit on the
readability of your own articles before critizing others.

hp

Old November 26th 06, 05:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Sorcerer[_4_]

"Peter J. Holzer" wrote in message
| ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.arts.sf.science.]
| On 2006-11-26 12:37, Sorcerer wrote:
| [Almost the same as in
| three days ago]
|

| Ignorant snipping will lead people to misunderstanding who said what,
| don't you think?
|
| If you meant to demonstrate that by reposting an article completely out
| of context and then sticking an answer to a question you didn't quote at
| the end where it was easy to be overlooked, you succeeded remarkably
| well.

Thank you. However, what I wrote was not out of context, see thread
title and all that followed.
Also I've restored tracy's selection of newsgroups for followups.

| If that wasn't you intention,

It *was*my intention, and as you have the smidgeon of intelligence to
recognise that I was not merely sucessful but *remarkably* successful,
what you've written below is out of context and miserably unsuccessful.
Now all that remains is to see if Paula has sufficient intellect to realise
her error.
BTW, you might want to work a tad on the readability of your own articles
before "critizing"? others. Have a nice day.
Androcles

you might want to work a bit on the
| readability of your own articles before critizing others.
|
| hp
|

| --
| _ | Peter J. Holzer | Wieso sollte man etwas erfinden was nicht
||_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | ist?
| __/ |
http://www.hjp.at/ | -- P. Einstein u. V. Gringmuth in desd

Old November 26th 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Alfred Montestruc

tracy wrote:
According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
"hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood?

Depends on what is meant by the "Sun's neighborhood".

I suspect that a hypervelocity star could pass the Sun within a
light-year (very very close on intersteller standards) and have no
effect at all on the solar system other than provide a good show. It
could pass close enough to influance an outer gas giant (like say
Neptune) a lot, and have no effect on earth. As long as the star is
not also a giant star (say on the order of the same absolute magnitude
of the sun or smaller) the only effects worth worrying about are
gravitational.

How dangerous
it could be for life on Earth?

Hypotetically totally fatal, but not likely. As long as the star does
not come close enough to disterb the earth's orbit, no significant
effect. And it could come close enough to disterb one or more gas
giants a lot and not effect the earth much at all, however the
secondary fallout of that (lots more comets, or the giant having an
orbit that comes much closer to the sun) could also be fatal, but not
likely IMHO.

What would be safe distance a star moving at about 700 - 1000 km/s
could get near Sun without disrupting the planetary system?

By assuming a short term (less than one earth year) influance of
1/100th the suns pull on an outer gas giant is not going to screw the
human race over, then 10 (ok 11) times the distance of Neptune to the
sun should be safe for a hypervelocity star with the same mass as the
sun, linearly proportional to the mass of the star, more mass, further
away. It might shift the orbit of one or more outer gas giants a bit,
but not enough to cause them to cross the orbit of another planet or to
leave the solar system. Maybe more comets.

Old November 26th 06, 09:37 PM posted to alt.astronomy,rec.arts.sf.science,sci.astro,sci.space.policy,soc.history.what-if
Maurizio Mugelli

Il 26 Nov 2006 11:48:52 -0800, "Alfred Montestruc"
ha scritto:

tracy wrote:
According to this article, the mysterious super-high speed stars are
more numerous and fastest than previously though. What if one of these
"hypervelocity" stars came through Sun's neighborhood?

Depends on what is meant by the "Sun's neighborhood".

I suspect that a hypervelocity star could pass the Sun within a
light-year (very very close on intersteller standards) and have no
effect at all on the solar system other than provide a good show. It
could pass close enough to influance an outer gas giant (like say
Neptune) a lot, and have no effect on earth. As long as the star is
not also a giant star (say on the order of the same absolute magnitude
of the sun or smaller) the only effects worth worrying about are
gravitational.

well if it influence the -orbit- of neptune, all the other orbit in
the solar system should vary (surely jupiter's orbit should'nt vary a
lot but all the planet in the system are more or less in an
interdipendent orbital system), and thus influence life on earth...
but how long before the change propagate to the inner system, million
of years?
--

(iao!!oai) (ICQ: 10860566)
//.aurizio

[WARNING!: togliete _nessuno_ per rispondere]

Coloro che sono disposti a farsi togliere alcune liberta'
essenziali per ottenere un piccolo, temporaneo senso di sicurezza
non meritano ne liberta' ne sicurezza. [B. Franklin]