Earth evacuation

Old September 11th 03, 07:41 AM
David Findlay

Default Earth evacuation

Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for much longer,
maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could we evacuate Earth's
population to space, given that amount of warning? This scenario is based
upon something really bad happening that is definately going to happen(not
a maybe something will hit us). Assuming for instance that we are now in
the dark caused by a massive meteorite impact. Could we survive long enough
to get the technology together to get off the planet? Thanks,

David

--
Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited about boring things.
Old September 11th 03, 08:59 AM
Alan Erskine

"David Findlay" wrote in message
. au...
Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for much longer,
maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could we evacuate Earth's
population to space, given that amount of warning?

No.

Politicians would argue that it will be good/bad for the economy, that there
is _reeely_ nothing to worry about, and that people should go back to work -
the economy is in bad enough shape right now without everybody taking time
off work.

Others will say "I told you so".

Others will say "It's a conspiracy".

The rest of the world (6,000,000,000) people will probably not even care all
that much...
--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

Old September 11th 03, 10:36 AM
David Findlay

No.

Sadly, I tend to agree.

Politicians would argue that it will be good/bad for the economy, that
there is _reeely_ nothing to worry about, and that people should go back
to work - the economy is in bad enough shape right now without everybody
taking time off work.

It wouldn't suprise me that even if the sky was completely black, and
temperatures were plumetting, I don't think anyone would even try anything.

To be possible you'd have to suspend the economy, cancel civil rights(except
for freedom of speech) and force everyone to work on the project.
Politicians would never have the guts to do that, so instead we would all
die. Thanks,

David

--
Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited about boring things.
Old September 11th 03, 10:47 AM
Christopher

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:41:08 +1000, David Findlay
wrote:

Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for much longer,
maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could we evacuate Earth's
population to space, given that amount of warning? This scenario is based
upon something really bad happening that is definately going to happen(not
a maybe something will hit us). Assuming for instance that we are now in
the dark caused by a massive meteorite impact. Could we survive long enough
to get the technology together to get off the planet? Thanks,

No, not a chance with 6 billion people to get off planet.

Christopher
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"Kites rise highest against
the wind - not with it."
Winston Churchill
Old September 11th 03, 11:09 AM
jimmydevice

Alan Erskine wrote:

[...]

Considering that 90% of the population on earth have not used a
telephone. I would expect that the majority would not even be
aware of their impending doom.
Jim Davis,
Amazed that the 1'st world population is so totally ignorant that
the rest of the world lives without electricity, phones and tech.

Old September 11th 03, 01:28 PM
jimmydevice

Paul F. Dietz wrote:
David Findlay wrote:

Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for much longer,
maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could we evacuate Earth's
population to space, given that amount of warning?

No.

Paul

Well, Since the earth's population could occupy an area 30 miles ^2
given that each citizen would occupy a 2X2 foot square piece of land?
No.
I would guess not even in the next 1000 years. You guys forget
that space science is 50 years old, aircraft 100 years, automobiles
140 years. Practical electricity, 150 years. We are still stupid apes,
and the richer ones have learnt some cute tricks.

Disclamer:
Periods are unverified but represent past actual historical time +-50%.
Commercial application.

Jim D.
60's Space station proposals by CalTech are the same as 30's
pulp magazine flying cars, jet packs and food pills.
Progress is regressing, 1'st worlders, get ready for a 3'rd world life.
Wanted, Senior Scientist, PhD Min, 20 Yrs Exp, $20K-$30K Max / Yr.

Old September 11th 03, 01:51 PM
Jim Davis

David Findlay wrote:

Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for
much longer, maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could
we evacuate Earth's population to space, given that amount of
warning?

A hundred years warning might be inadequate for the human species
to survive, much less a sizeable fraction of its members.

Jim Davis
Old September 11th 03, 02:02 PM
Paul Blay

"Jim Davis" wrote ...
David Findlay wrote:

Let's say suddenly Earth isn't going to be inhabitable for
much longer, maybe 4 or 5 years, and then it's no good. Could
we evacuate Earth's population to space, given that amount of
warning?

A hundred years warning might be inadequate for the human species
to survive, much less a sizeable fraction of its members.

Which leaves you with the nicely paradoxical situation that any warning
long enough to let humanity survive is probably _too_ long for humanity
to have the necessary sense urgency to actually get the job done properly.
Old September 11th 03, 02:10 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"jimmydevice" wrote in message

Considering that 90% of the population on earth have not used a
telephone. I would expect that the majority would not even be
aware of their impending doom.

Umm, where the heck did you get this number?

That's only about 600 million that have used the telephone.

Given 300 Million roughly in the US and the same in Europe, you can pretty
much assume most of those people have used a telephone.

Toss in China, India, Japan, in fact most countries along the Pacific Rim,
etc and I think you're number is extremely low. If anything, I wouldn't be
surprised if it's almost completely reverse of what you said.

Jim Davis,
Amazed that the 1'st world population is so totally ignorant that
the rest of the world lives without electricity, phones and tech.

Amazed that you think so much of the rest of the world lives w/o
electricity, phones, etc. I think you'll find that they are far more
popular than you seem to think.